FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > 64 Studio > 64 Studio User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-10-2009, 05:02 PM
Folderol
 
Default Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is coming.... preparing for 64studio 4.0?

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 14:36:10 +0100
rosea grammostola <rosea.grammostola@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is coming.... I think this means preparing for 64studio
> 4.0 based on Ubuntu 10.04?
> With ext4, grub2 and full LV2 support?
>
>
> Regards,
>
>

Hmmm.
We haven't actually had 64studio V3 yet :?

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk
Say you have a poem and I have a tune.
Exchange them and we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@lists.64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users
 
Old 11-10-2009, 05:11 PM
rosea grammostola
 
Default Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is coming.... preparing for 64studio 4.0?

Folderol wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 14:36:10 +0100
> rosea grammostola <rosea.grammostola@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is coming.... I think this means preparing for 64studio
>> 4.0 based on Ubuntu 10.04?
>> With ext4, grub2 and full LV2 support?
>>
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>>
>>
>
> Hmmm.
> We haven't actually had 64studio V3 yet :?
>
>
I think it's better to prepare the next release, so you can have a 10.04
stable 64studio one or two months after the release of ubuntu 10.04,
instead of having finally a stable 3.0 based on 8.04 when 10.04 is out
of the door soon...

But dunno what the plans of the 64studio team is.





_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@lists.64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users
 
Old 11-10-2009, 05:19 PM
Michael Jarosch
 
Default Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is coming.... preparing for 64studio 4.0?

Am Dienstag, den 10.11.2009, 18:02 +0000 schrieb Folderol:

> We haven't actually had 64studio V3 yet :?
So what?
If v3 took another 2 months (which could happen), is it really worth all
the backporting and stuff, when getting new packages another 3 months
later for free?
Actually, I don't know. But jumping directly to V4 (without ever having
released a final V3) sounds promising to me. At last, I don't have to
decide this, but I wonder what the developers think about that...

Greetings
Mitsch

_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@lists.64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users
 
Old 11-10-2009, 06:34 PM
Quentin Harley
 
Default Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is coming.... preparing for 64studio 4.0?

Michael Jarosch wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 10.11.2009, 18:02 +0000 schrieb Folderol:
>
>
>> We haven't actually had 64studio V3 yet :?
>>
> So what?
> If v3 took another 2 months (which could happen), is it really worth all
> the backporting and stuff, when getting new packages another 3 months
> later for free?
>

We actually had a discussion along those lines ;-)

V4 will be based on 10.04 LTS (as planned) and depending on the
stability of the distro, should be available sometime during 2010.

We can only hope the guys at Canonical does not make too many drastic
changes to the ubuntu core at that time, but it being LTS should spare
us some grief.

Cheers,
Quentin


> Actually, I don't know. But jumping directly to V4 (without ever having
> released a final V3) sounds promising to me. At last, I don't have to
> decide this, but I wonder what the developers think about that...
>
> Greetings
> Mitsch
>
> _______________________________________________
> 64studio-users mailing list
> 64studio-users@lists.64studio.com
> http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users
>
>

_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@lists.64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users
 
Old 11-12-2009, 12:13 PM
Ralf Mardorf
 
Default Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is coming.... preparing for 64studio 4.0?

rosea grammostola wrote:
> Hi
>
> Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is coming.... I think this means preparing for 64studio
> 4.0 based on Ubuntu 10.04?
> With ext4, grub2 and full LV2 support?

I avoided to use ext4 for my latest Suse install. If something is broken
on that ext4 file system, are there tools to repair it? Is ext4 good for
hard disk recording? I remember that a long time ago Suse changed from
ext to reiser when reiser was new, then they changed back to ext. Suse
and Ubuntu tend to use everything that is new.

I really don't know anything about ext4. It might be good, but ext2 and
ext3 are fine. I would be careful because of using a new file system for
music productions. And yes, I didn't read anything about ext4. Another
argument against the usage of ext4 might be, that musicians might not
want to learn everything about all available file systems for Linux, but
make music.

If there isn't a good argument against ext3 (or any other "old" file
system) I can't see any reason to use ext4.

Just my 2 cents.

PS: HR timer and other issues might be more important, at least the
timer is important for me .
_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@lists.64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users
 
Old 11-12-2009, 12:22 PM
rosea grammostola
 
Default Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is coming.... preparing for 64studio 4.0?

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> rosea grammostola wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is coming.... I think this means preparing for 64studio
>> 4.0 based on Ubuntu 10.04?
>> With ext4, grub2 and full LV2 support?
>>
>
>
> If there isn't a good argument against ext3 (or any other "old" file
> system) I can't see any reason to use ext4.
I would turn that around. If there isn't a good argument against ext4...

_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@lists.64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users
 
Old 11-12-2009, 01:26 PM
Ralf Mardorf
 
Default Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is coming.... preparing for 64studio 4.0?

rosea grammostola wrote:
> Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
>> rosea grammostola wrote:
>>
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is coming.... I think this means preparing for 64studio
>>> 4.0 based on Ubuntu 10.04?
>>> With ext4, grub2 and full LV2 support?
>>>
>>>
>> If there isn't a good argument against ext3 (or any other "old" file
>> system) I can't see any reason to use ext4.
>>
> I would turn that around. If there isn't a good argument against ext4...

It's not proved to be fine with HD recording. I googled and ... okay, it
can be repaired by fsck. Before using ext4 for the default, people
should test it with HD recording for a while on different machines.

For a multimedia distribution it might be more important to have "good"
multimedia apps and the software environment for those apps to get best
results on many machines, e.g. HR timer support, but also "full LV2
support". Ext4 might be risky and Grub is unimportant.
_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@lists.64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users
 
Old 11-12-2009, 01:43 PM
rosea grammostola
 
Default Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is coming.... preparing for 64studio 4.0?

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> rosea grammostola wrote:
>
>> Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>>
>>
>>> rosea grammostola wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>> Hi
>>>>
>>>> Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is coming.... I think this means preparing for 64studio
>>>> 4.0 based on Ubuntu 10.04?
>>>> With ext4, grub2 and full LV2 support?
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>> If there isn't a good argument against ext3 (or any other "old" file
>>> system) I can't see any reason to use ext4.
>>>
>>>
>> I would turn that around. If there isn't a good argument against ext4...
>>
>
> It's not proved to be fine with HD recording. I googled and ... okay, it
> can be repaired by fsck. Before using ext4 for the default, people
> should test it with HD recording for a while on different machines.
>
> For a multimedia distribution it might be more important to have "good"
> multimedia apps and the software environment for those apps to get best
> results on many machines, e.g. HR timer support, but also "full LV2
> support". Ext4 might be risky and Grub is unimportant.
A multimedia distro should be easily installed next to another
distribution. With that in mind I think it's wise to choose for ext4 and
grub2, cause other distro's switch to that also. Of course if there is
no strong argument against them.



_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@lists.64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users
 
Old 11-12-2009, 02:32 PM
Ralf Mardorf
 
Default Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is coming.... preparing for 64studio 4.0?

rosea grammostola wrote:
> A multimedia distro should be easily installed next to another
> distribution. With that in mind I think it's wise to choose for ext4 and
> grub2, cause other distro's switch to that also. Of course if there is
> no strong argument against them.

The funny thing is that GRUB and ext4 together aren't fine without
patches for GRUB. People using multi-boots and with the freedom to use
GRUB of any install, should not use ext4. To keep a multi-boot
compatible, we should use an old fashioned GRUB and no ext4. I do agree
that there is the need to be able to use latest kernel versions and
latest multimedia software, but that does not mean, that we should
become version junkies for any software. Btw. on my machine latest Suse
11.2 RC isn't able to boot it's own kernel-rt, I only can boot a so
called kernel-desktop. Compiling my own kernel for Suse didn't work,
while I don't have any trouble to do it for 64 Studio. For Suse 11.2 CPU
frequency scaling is a default but until now neither anybody from the
web nor I were able to control the CPU frequency scaling, because
there's a new philosophy, that only the kernel should be allowed to
control it. Note that non-multimedia distros don't take care about
real-time audio, even the kernel coders aren't interested in doing it,
thus latest versions of distros like Suse and Ubuntu are not in general
good, because of some advantages. I don't know latest Ubuntu version,
but I know latest Suse version and I enjoy some of it's capabilities I'm
missing for 64 Studio 3.0-beta3, anyhow for important multimedia usage
it comes with more pain than with advantages.

My question still is: Is ext4 proved for hard disk recording on many
hardware combinations? What problems do people have when using GRUB
instead of GRUB2? I don't have any trouble because of GRUB and my
machine really is a multi-boot.

I would like to have a 64 Studio 4 too, because of some dependencies, to
enable latest multimedia software. But I guess ext4 shouldn't become the
default file system, until it isn't proved for hard disk recording,
until it's common to have a GRUB that is unable to boot kernels on ext4
without patches, when using GRUB of another install of a multi-boot.

People that don't use a multi-boot, don't need to use a boot loader.
Using always latest versions of some stuff has got more disadvantages
than advantages, especially for compatibility. At the moment we still
are in an era of ATA and SATA devices + 32-bit vs 64-bit machines and
the web is overrun with superblock errors, not working 32-bit apps etc.
just because of less proved new "ideas". Since years X isn't able to set
the frequencies for my monitor. Some days ago I did a "remoulding" for
my monitor, it's fine, but this also is an issue because of unproved
changes for Linux. Even on this list from time to time are mails "with
version 1 of Blahblah I could chose any resolution for my monitor, but
now with version 2 of Blahblah I'm forced to use ...".

New kernels YES
New libs to compile multimedia apps YES
New multimedia apps YES
Not proved file systems, modules for handling hard disks, versions of X
etc. PLEASE NOT THAT AGAIN AND AGAIN


Ralf
_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@lists.64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users
 
Old 11-13-2009, 10:30 AM
Daniel James
 
Default Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is coming.... preparing for 64studio 4.0?

Hi Ralf,

> To keep a multi-boot
> compatible, we should use an old fashioned GRUB and no ext4.

I take your point, the 'other' distro may be an older one.

> I do agree
> that there is the need to be able to use latest kernel versions and
> latest multimedia software, but that does not mean, that we should
> become version junkies for any software.

Quite, we don't like to change core packages unless we have to :-)

Cheers!

Daniel
_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@lists.64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:33 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org