Old 11-13-2009, 10:54 AM
rosea grammostola

Default Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is coming.... preparing for 64studio 4.0?

Daniel James wrote:
> Hi Ralf,
>

>> To keep a multi-boot
>> compatible, we should use an old fashioned GRUB and no ext4.
>>

> I take your point, the 'other' distro may be an older one.
>

>> I do agree
>> that there is the need to be able to use latest kernel versions and
>> latest multimedia software, but that does not mean, that we should
>> become version junkies for any software.
>>

> Quite, we don't like to change core packages unless we have to :-)
>
> Cheers!
Another interesting discussion is pulseaudio. It will be the default in
all debian (based) distros at least.
Reports say that pulse is ready to work with latest jack2 e.g. pulse
will shut when you start jack2

Old 11-15-2009, 06:39 PM
Ralf Mardorf

rosea grammostola wrote:
> Daniel James wrote:
>
>> Hi Ralf,
>>

>>> To keep a multi-boot
>>> compatible, we should use an old fashioned GRUB and no ext4.
>>>

>> I take your point, the 'other' distro may be an older one.
>>

>>> I do agree
>>> that there is the need to be able to use latest kernel versions and
>>> latest multimedia software, but that does not mean, that we should
>>> become version junkies for any software.
>>>

>> Quite, we don't like to change core packages unless we have to :-)
>>
>> Cheers!
>>
> Another interesting discussion is pulseaudio. It will be the default in
> all debian (based) distros at least.
> Reports say that pulse is ready to work with latest jack2 e.g. pulse
> will shut when you start jack2

By random I saw that the GNOME "startup applications preferences" for
latest Suse has an option to enable and disable PulseAudio sound system.
I don't have any experiences with it. I guess it will be the same for
latest Ubuntu. I don't know if it really can be enabled and disabled
that easy, if so it might be good to add PulseAudio to the next 64
Studio release, but to disable it by default. OTOH I only read one time
that someone needed it on a machine for real-time audio.