Old 10-28-2009, 06:54 PM
rosea grammostola

Default Which hardware does work on 64studio?

Hi,

How do I know which hardware is supported? I found a tool for Debian

http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/ for pci

Are there such tools for Ubuntu and tools which are useful for 64studio?

Thanks in advance,

Old 10-28-2009, 07:06 PM
Folderol

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 20:54:07 +0100
rosea grammostola <rosea.grammostola@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How do I know which hardware is supported? I found a tool for Debian
>
> http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/ for pci
>
> Are there such tools for Ubuntu and tools which are useful for 64studio?
>
> Thanks in advance,

If somenthing is marked as supported in debian than you can be almost
certain it is supported by al the debian-based distros
For ubuntu, you'd be best going to one of their groups and asking
there. I might be wrong, but I don't think 64studio does any addidional
hardware support above and beyond its base distro, which for V 3 is
ubuntu of course!

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk

Old 10-28-2009, 07:25 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Folderol wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 20:54:07 +0100
> rosea grammostola <rosea.grammostola@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> How do I know which hardware is supported? I found a tool for Debian
>>
>> http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/ for pci
>>
>> Are there such tools for Ubuntu and tools which are useful for 64studio?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>

> If somenthing is marked as supported in debian than you can be almost
> certain it is supported by al the debian-based distros
> For ubuntu, you'd be best going to one of their groups and asking
> there. I might be wrong, but I don't think 64studio does any addidional
> hardware support above and beyond its base distro, which for V 3 is
> ubuntu of course!

Ubuntu HARDY!!! Very important, especially for Rosea, because for Jaunty
the situation differs.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:26 PM
rosea grammostola

> How do I know which hardware is supported? I found a tool for Debian

> http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/ for pci

> Are there such tools for Ubuntu and tools which are useful for 64studio?

> Thanks in advance,

If somenthing is marked as supported in debian than you can be almost

certain it is supported by al the debian-based distros

For ubuntu, you'd be best going to one of their groups and asking

there. I might be wrong, but I don't think 64studio does any addidional

hardware support above and beyond its base distro, which for V 3 is

ubuntu of course!

--Ok, but the kernels are not ubuntu kernels, and whether hardware is supported or not depends for the big part on the kernel right? So is checking for support on Ubuntu the right way to check for 64sudio?

Old 10-28-2009, 07:38 PM
Ralf Mardorf

rosea grammostola wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 9:06 PM, Folderol <folderol@ukfsn.org
> <mailto:folderol@ukfsn.org>> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 20:54:07 +0100
> rosea grammostola <rosea.grammostola@gmail.com
> <mailto:rosea.grammostola@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > How do I know which hardware is supported? I found a tool for Debian
> >
> > http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/ for pci
> >
> > Are there such tools for Ubuntu and tools which are useful for
> 64studio?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >

> If somenthing is marked as supported in debian than you can be almost
> certain it is supported by al the debian-based distros
> For ubuntu, you'd be best going to one of their groups and asking
> there. I might be wrong, but I don't think 64studio does any
> addidional
> hardware support above and beyond its base distro, which for V 3 is
> ubuntu of course!
>
> --
>
> Ok, but the kernels are not ubuntu kernels, and whether hardware is
> supported or not depends for the big part on the kernel right? So is
> checking for support on Ubuntu the right way to check for 64sudio?

The 64 Studio kernels seems to be vanilla kernels with rt patch and
nothing more. I guess most times the kernel version will imply the
versions of the other stuff.
The kernel might be version xyz and distros using this kernel version
most times will use the up to date, resp. common modules, frimeware etc..
The kernel version might give the major information about hardware
support, because distros tend to use the apps etc. that are up to date
when the kernel version was released.