-   -   upgrade kernel to *31 series (http://www.linux-archive.org/64-studio-user/270664-upgrade-kernel-31-series.html)

rosea grammostola 10-28-2009 12:47 PM

upgrade kernel to *31 series

rosea grammostola wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Could the 'kernel builder man' upgrade the kernel to *31, like you
>> have on jaunty? I still have wireless problems (rt2500).
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>

>> ps. it;s much easier for us users to compile some packages, then
>> building a good kernel... so you will help us a lot (especially those
>> without wireless..)
>>

> Hi,
>
> Me again ;)
>
> Any idea when and if I can expect a kernel upgrade? Thanks in advance,
**bump**

Or is it possible to backport the 64studio jaunty-backport kernel to hardy?

rosea grammostola 10-28-2009 12:47 PM

upgrade kernel to *31 series

Ralf Mardorf 10-28-2009 05:26 PM

upgrade kernel to *31 series

rosea grammostola wrote:
> Or is it possible to backport the 64studio jaunty-backport kernel to hardy?

I guess you are asking for including the jaunty kernel to hardy
backports, because of your wireless device. If not, you can get the
hardy kernel for jaunty, if you add the hardy backport repository and
for synaptic use the menu option "Package > Force version". Probably you
know this and didn't ask for it ;).

Ralf Mardorf 10-28-2009 05:26 PM

upgrade kernel to *31 series

rosea grammostola 10-28-2009 06:38 PM

upgrade kernel to *31 series

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> rosea grammostola wrote:
>
>> Or is it possible to backport the 64studio jaunty-backport kernel to hardy?
>>

> I guess you are asking for including the jaunty kernel to hardy
> backports, because of your wireless device.
Indeed, but not only for my wireless. I could add the jaunty kernel to
hardy, but that doesn't seems to be a good practise afaik.

Thanks

rosea grammostola 10-28-2009 06:38 PM

upgrade kernel to *31 series

tim hall 10-29-2009 09:35 AM

upgrade kernel to *31 series

On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 14:47 +0100, rosea grammostola wrote:

> > Me again ;)
> >
> > Any idea when and if I can expect a kernel upgrade? Thanks in advance,
> **bump**
>

> Or is it possible to backport the 64studio jaunty-backport kernel to hardy?

If you need the capabilities of a newer kernel, you should compile your
own using the same method and config as Free uses to create the 64
Studio kernel.

Don't mess with backports* - it is best to stick with the recommended
repositories - if you don't, really you're on your own.

* unless you really know what you're doing, understand apt-pinning and
dependency juggling etc. Actually, when you really understand how it all
works, you'll just accept that Free has done the best possible under the
circumstances and stick with the 64studio packages. ;)

cheers,

tim

tim hall 10-29-2009 09:35 AM

upgrade kernel to *31 series

rosea grammostola 10-29-2009 10:07 AM

upgrade kernel to *31 series

tim hall wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 14:47 +0100, rosea grammostola wrote:
>

>>> Me again ;)
>>>
>>> Any idea when and if I can expect a kernel upgrade? Thanks in advance,
>>>
>> **bump**
>>

>> Or is it possible to backport the 64studio jaunty-backport kernel to hardy?
>>

> If you need the capabilities of a newer kernel, you should compile your
> own using the same method and config as Free uses to create the 64
> Studio kernel.

I have the config file, but I don't know the method Free uses to build a
kernel. I would like to learn it though, the way he builds kernels for
64studio (so the kernel works not only on his system, but on 'all')

Kind regards,

rosea grammostola 10-29-2009 10:07 AM

upgrade kernel to *31 series