Old 11-04-2009, 12:46 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default upgrade kernel to *31 series

rosea grammostola wrote:
> Ok, I did manage to build a kernel. But I had to force install it cause
> it shared some drivers with the alsa packages.
>
> Do you normally build the alsa packages with or against the kernel or
> something?

"Usual" I don't care of such things, but when I compiled my latest
kernel, I had this issue too. This is also for a kernel-rt package from
Quentin's private repository. IIRC there were one or two ALSA firmware
files for a Yamaha product and one or two ALSA firmware files for
another product, thus I had to force the install too, but the kernels
were fine.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:57 PM
rosea grammostola

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> rosea grammostola wrote:
>
>> Ok, I did manage to build a kernel. But I had to force install it cause
>> it shared some drivers with the alsa packages.
>>
>> Do you normally build the alsa packages with or against the kernel or
>> something?
>>

> "Usual" I don't care of such things, but when I compiled my latest
> kernel, I had this issue too. This is also for a kernel-rt package from
> Quentin's private repository. IIRC there were one or two ALSA firmware
> files for a Yamaha product and one or two ALSA firmware files for
> another product, thus I had to force the install too, but the kernels
> were fine.
But will the drivers for the Yamaha products also be fine? e.g. are the
yahama products still working likely after the force?

Old 11-04-2009, 01:18 PM
Ralf Mardorf

rosea grammostola wrote:
> But will the drivers for the Yamaha products also be fine? e.g. are the
> yahama products still working likely after the force?

I don't know. My read is, that the ALSA firmware will be replaced by the
force option. I don't know if the ALSA drivers will have some additional
dependencies, that then might be broken for those replaced drivers.

It's very hard to learn about those issues . Usual no user needs to
patch and compile a kernel, real-time audio sometimes is an exceptional
case. Maybe we should lurk (not post) to some kernel developers lists or
so. Is there a ALSA users list ... ? ...
that a postmaster account is needed and that a lot of spam will be sent
by this list :S.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:37 PM
Kevin Donnelly

On Wednesday 04 November 2009 13:57, rosea grammostola wrote:
> But will the drivers for the Yamaha products also be fine? e.g. are the
> yahama products still working likely after the force?

Call me a scaredy-cat, but I would be very dubious about force-installing a
kernel. If your main aim is to get your wireless working, would it not be
possible to buy a USB one and use that in preference to the one on your PC?
I suspect the time you save in faffing about with all sorts of brokenness
will pay for it a couple of times over.

--
Pob hwyl / Best wishes

Kevin Donnelly

www.cymraeg.org.uk - Welsh-English autotranslator
www.eurfa.org.uk - Geiriadur rhydd i'r Gymraeg

Old 11-04-2009, 03:41 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Kevin Donnelly wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 November 2009 13:57, rosea grammostola wrote:
>
>> But will the drivers for the Yamaha products also be fine? e.g. are the
>> yahama products still working likely after the force?
>>

> Call me a scaredy-cat, but I would be very dubious about force-installing a
> kernel. If your main aim is to get your wireless working, would it not be
> possible to buy a USB one and use that in preference to the one on your PC?
> I suspect the time you save in faffing about with all sorts of brokenness
> will pay for it a couple of times over.

Yesno

instead of buying new hardware, it seems to be better to get as most as
possible hardware configurations working for linux real-time audio. OTOH
it will safe time for the user just to buy another hardware. I don't
know what is consequentially.

In his case, if I remember correctly, the device is fine with some
distros or distro versions and that's a reason (after doing a backup) to
do some experiments, before buying another hardware.

... yes, I found this earlier reply:

rosea grammostola wrote:
> Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
>> rosea grammostola wrote:
>>

>>> Or is it possible to backport the 64studio jaunty-backport kernel to hardy?
>>>

>> I guess you are asking for including the jaunty kernel to hardy
>> backports, because of your wireless device.
>>
> Indeed, but not only for my wireless. I could add the jaunty kernel to
> hardy, but that doesn't seems to be a good practise afaik.

If I understand correctly his device is fine with Jaunty.

Ralf

Old 11-04-2009, 06:24 PM
Gustin Johnson

Old 11-05-2009, 12:46 PM
rosea grammostola

package make-kpkg?

Is that an part of another package? Can't find it...

Old 11-05-2009, 07:15 PM
Gustin Johnson