Old 10-29-2009, 02:16 PM
tim hall

Default upgrade kernel to *31 series

On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 12:07 +0100, rosea grammostola wrote:
> tim hall wrote:
> > On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 14:47 +0100, rosea grammostola wrote:
> >> Or is it possible to backport the 64studio jaunty-backport kernel to hardy?
> >>

> > If you need the capabilities of a newer kernel, you should compile your
> > own using the same method and config as Free uses to create the 64
> > Studio kernel.
> >
> I have the config file, but I don't know the method Free uses to build a
> kernel. I would like to learn it though, the way he builds kernels for
> 64studio (so the kernel works not only on his system, but on 'all')

I'm rather out of the loop on this subject - it's a long time since I
bothered recompiling a kernel. I'm sure there must be a published
procedure about patching a linux kernel for realtime capabilities.

cheers,
tim

Old 10-29-2009, 02:31 PM
rosea grammostola

tim hall wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 12:07 +0100, rosea grammostola wrote:
>
>> tim hall wrote:

>>> If you need the capabilities of a newer kernel, you should compile your
>>> own using the same method and config as Free uses to create the 64
>>> Studio kernel.
>>>

>> I have the config file, but I don't know the method Free uses to build a
>> kernel. I would like to learn it though, the way he builds kernels for
>> 64studio (so the kernel works not only on his system, but on 'all')
>>

> I'm rather out of the loop on this subject - it's a long time since I
> bothered recompiling a kernel. I'm sure there must be a published
> procedure about patching a linux kernel for realtime capabilities.
There is. But I'm wondering if it's different when I just build for my
own system or for 'all' pc's.
How do I know which packages I should have installed for the kernel
build, to support as much hardware as possible...

Old 10-29-2009, 02:45 PM
tim hall

On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 16:31 +0100, rosea grammostola wrote:
> tim hall wrote:

> >> I have the config file, but I don't know the method Free uses to build a
> >> kernel. I would like to learn it though, the way he builds kernels for
> >> 64studio (so the kernel works not only on his system, but on 'all')
> >>

> > I'm rather out of the loop on this subject - it's a long time since I
> > bothered recompiling a kernel. I'm sure there must be a published
> > procedure about patching a linux kernel for realtime capabilities.
> There is. But I'm wondering if it's different when I just build for my
> own system or for 'all' pc's.
> How do I know which packages I should have installed for the kernel
> build, to support as much hardware as possible...

That's the point of using the config from an rt kernel known to work on
your machine. Don't change anything unless you know you need to change
it for your machine. The best way to find out is to give it a go. It's
easier than you think, the patching is probably the complex part.

cheers,
tim

Old 10-29-2009, 04:36 PM
Ralf Mardorf

rosea grammostola wrote:
> There is. But I'm wondering if it's different when I just build for my
> own system or for 'all' pc's.
> How do I know which packages I should have installed for the kernel
> build, to support as much hardware as possible...

For the kernel build it's not important what packages you have got
installed. Important is, that you keep the CPU type at x86 or x86_64
instead of optimizing it e.g. to amd64. It's also important that you
don't fit the number of CPUs to your hardware, keep it at e.g. 512
instead of using 2. This issues, timer resolution, rt support etc. is
set by the config file. Copy /boot/config-2.6.29-1-multimedia-amd64 to
your source directory and rename it to .config, then load it when you
run "# make menuconfig", if needed, IIRC I didn'd need to copy the
config file. For the build you might need:
fakeroot
gcc
kernel-package
make
libncurses5-dev
Btw. the patch command has got a --dry-run option.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:56 PM
rosea grammostola

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 6:36 PM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

rosea grammostola wrote:

> There is. But I'm wondering if it's different when I just build for my

> own system or for 'all' pc's.

> How do I know which packages I should have installed for the kernel

> build, to support as much hardware as possible...

For the kernel build it's not important what packages you have got

installed. Important is, that you keep the CPU type at x86 or x86_64

instead of optimizing it e.g. to amd64.
This is in the config:
#
# CONFIG_64BIT is not set
CONFIG_X86_32=y
# CONFIG_X86_64 is not set
CONFIG_X86=y
CONFIG_OUTPUT_FORMAT="elf32-i386"

*It's also important that you

don't fit the number of CPUs to your hardware, keep it at e.g. 512

instead of using 2.
Where can I find that? This is in the config:
#
# Digest
#
CONFIG_CRYPTO_CRC32C=m
CONFIG_CRYPTO_CRC32C_INTEL=m
CONFIG_CRYPTO_MD4=m
CONFIG_CRYPTO_MD5=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_MICHAEL_MIC=m

CONFIG_CRYPTO_RMD128=m
CONFIG_CRYPTO_RMD160=m
CONFIG_CRYPTO_RMD256=m
CONFIG_CRYPTO_RMD320=m
CONFIG_CRYPTO_SHA1=m
CONFIG_CRYPTO_SHA256=m
CONFIG_CRYPTO_SHA512=m
CONFIG_CRYPTO_TGR192=m
CONFIG_CRYPTO_WP512=m

*This issues, timer resolution, rt support etc. is

set by the config file. Copy /boot/config-2.6.29-1-multimedia-amd64 to

your source directory and rename it to .config, then load it when you

run "# make menuconfig", if needed, IIRC I didn'd need to copy the

config file. For the build you might need:

fakeroot

gcc

kernel-package

make

libncurses5-dev

Btw. the patch command has got a --dry-run option.

--dry-run option?

Old 10-29-2009, 05:10 PM
Ralf Mardorf

rosea grammostola wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 6:36 PM, Ralf Mardorf
> <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net <mailto:ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net>> wrote:
>
> rosea grammostola wrote:
> > There is. But I'm wondering if it's different when I just build
> for my
> > own system or for 'all' pc's.
> > How do I know which packages I should have installed for the kernel
> > build, to support as much hardware as possible...
>
> For the kernel build it's not important what packages you have got
> installed. Important is, that you keep the CPU type at x86 or x86_64
> instead of optimizing it e.g. to amd64.
>

> This is in the config:
> #
> # CONFIG_64BIT is not set
> CONFIG_X86_32=y
> # CONFIG_X86_64 is not set
> CONFIG_X86=y
> CONFIG_OUTPUT_FORMAT="elf32-i386"

This looks like it is for all 32bit CPUs. I guess for 64bit CPUs a
separated compiling is needed. You will get some help when running "#
make menuconfig" (I recommend menuconfig, but there are also other tools).

> It's also important that you
> don't fit the number of CPUs to your hardware, keep it at e.g. 512
> instead of using 2.
>

> Where can I find that? This is in the config:
> #
> # Digest
> #
> CONFIG_CRYPTO_CRC32C=m
> CONFIG_CRYPTO_CRC32C_INTEL=m
> CONFIG_CRYPTO_MD4=m
> CONFIG_CRYPTO_MD5=y
> CONFIG_CRYPTO_MICHAEL_MIC=m
> CONFIG_CRYPTO_RMD128=m
> CONFIG_CRYPTO_RMD160=m
> CONFIG_CRYPTO_RMD256=m
> CONFIG_CRYPTO_RMD320=m
> CONFIG_CRYPTO_SHA1=m
> CONFIG_CRYPTO_SHA256=m
> CONFIG_CRYPTO_SHA512=m
> CONFIG_CRYPTO_TGR192=m
> CONFIG_CRYPTO_WP512=m

Run "make menuconfig" during your kernel build process, this will be
easier, because it has a help option and it displays readable text
instead of CONFIG_VARIABLES.

> This issues, timer resolution, rt support etc. is
> set by the config file. Copy /boot/config-2.6.29-1-multimedia-amd64 to
> your source directory and rename it to .config, then load it when you
> run "# make menuconfig", if needed, IIRC I didn'd need to copy the
> config file. For the build you might need:
> fakeroot
> gcc
> kernel-package
> make
> libncurses5-dev
> Btw. the patch command has got a --dry-run option.
>

> --dry-run option?

You need to use the vanilla kernel source and to add a patch for rt
support. If you add the patch script by the patch command you can
simulate this by using "patch --dry-run [snip] | grep FAIL" to see if
everything is fine. Normally this isn't needed when you patch a vanilla
kernel with any patch, but maybe you will add an additional patch that
might conflict with the rt patch, e.g. the tux on ice patch would
conflict, thus you would need to add some patches manually, but don't
worry, patching a vanilla kernel with rt won't cause any trouble.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:36 PM
rosea grammostola

On 10/29/09, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> rosea grammostola wrote:
>>

>> On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 6:36 PM, Ralf Mardorf
>> <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net <mailto:ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net>> wrote:
>>
>> rosea grammostola wrote:
>> > There is. But I'm wondering if it's different when I just build
>> for my
>> > own system or for 'all' pc's.
>> > How do I know which packages I should have installed for the kernel
>> > build, to support as much hardware as possible...
>>
>> For the kernel build it's not important what packages you have got
>> installed. Important is, that you keep the CPU type at x86 or x86_64
>> instead of optimizing it e.g. to amd64.
>>

>> This is in the config:
>> #
>> # CONFIG_64BIT is not set
>> CONFIG_X86_32=y
>> # CONFIG_X86_64 is not set
>> CONFIG_X86=y
>> CONFIG_OUTPUT_FORMAT="elf32-i386"
>
> This looks like it is for all 32bit CPUs. I guess for 64bit CPUs a
> separated compiling is needed. You will get some help when running "#
> make menuconfig" (I recommend menuconfig, but there are also other tools).

So you can compile a 65bit kernel on a 686 computer? Just changing it
in menuconfig?

Old 10-30-2009, 08:33 PM
rosea grammostola

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> rosea grammostola wrote:
>
>> There is. But I'm wondering if it's different when I just build for my
>> own system or for 'all' pc's.
>> How do I know which packages I should have installed for the kernel
>> build, to support as much hardware as possible...
>>

> For the kernel build it's not important what packages you have got
> installed. Important is, that you keep the CPU type at x86 or x86_64
> instead of optimizing it e.g. to amd64. It's also important that you
> don't fit the number of CPUs to your hardware, keep it at e.g. 512
> instead of using 2. This issues, timer resolution, rt support etc. is
> set by the config file. Copy /boot/config-2.6.29-1-multimedia-amd64 to
> your source directory and rename it to .config, then load it when you
> run "# make menuconfig", if needed, IIRC I didn'd need to copy the
> config file. For the build you might need:
> fakeroot
> gcc
> kernel-package
> make
> libncurses5-dev
> Btw. the patch command has got a --dry-run option.

Ok, I did manage to build a kernel. But I had to force install it cause
it shared some drivers with the alsa packages.

Do you normally build the alsa packages with or against the kernel or
something?

Old 10-31-2009, 07:21 AM
tim hall

On Fri, 2009-10-30 at 22:33 +0100, rosea grammostola wrote:
> Ok, I did manage to build a kernel. But I had to force install it cause
> it shared some drivers with the alsa packages.
>
> Do you normally build the alsa packages with or against the kernel or
> something?

Mazl tov! :-)

As I said earlier, I haven't rolled my own kernel for some time.
a) I believe ALSA is built-in to 2.6.x series kernels, so surely you
don't need to build ALSA packages separately?
b) If you _are_ building separate ALSA modules, generally it is
necessary to move the old version(s) (ie. with the same version number)
out of the way before installing new ones.

Does it work? Do you now have wireless support and realtime
capabilities?

cheers,

tim

Old 11-04-2009, 12:33 PM
Ralf Mardorf

rosea grammostola wrote:
> So you can compile a 65bit kernel on a 686 computer? Just changing it
> in menuconfig?

Hi

sorry for my late reply.

Dunno. On Debian based distros I never had any trouble, but I compiled
for the architecture of my machine only. I also tried to compile a
kernel-rt for Suse 11.2 some days ago and it failed.

It might be, that you need a command and additional libs, when compiling
for another architecture, because of the modules, resp. for Suse it
failed to compile a kernel even for my architecture.

It might be, that Debian based distros support an idiot-proof way to
compile a new kernel for the used machine and I always had good luck,
that this idiot-proof way worked for my needs. Now, for Suse I noticed
that there might be some things I don't know about kernel compiling .

IIRC you asked because of a new module you need to use with a new kernel.

Rui will send me instructions for Suse, maybe I get the needed know-how
for Debian too. If so, I'll send you a copy of this email.

Resume: Sometimes it's very easy to patch and compile a kernel and
sometimes it isn't .

Do you have any new information about building a kernel?

Cheers,
Ralf