Old 01-17-2009, 12:31 PM
Jaromír Mikeš

Default Kernel 2.6.26 ... terminal messages

Hello all,

I am just curious what these messages in my terminal means ... never saw something like this before.

Cheers

mira

Message from syslogd@64studio at Sat Jan 17 05:37:06 2009 ...
64studio kernel: [27936.103287] Trying to fix it up, but a reboot is needed

Message from syslogd@64studio at Sat Jan 17 05:37:06 2009 ...
64studio kernel: [27936.103270] page:c14c0770 flags:0x40000000 mapping:c14c0780 mapcount:0 count:0

Message from syslogd@64studio at Sat Jan 17 05:37:06 2009 ...
64studio kernel: [27936.103289] Backtrace:

Message from syslogd@64studio at Sat Jan 17 05:37:06 2009 ...
64studio kernel: [27936.103265] Bad page state in process 'firefox-bin'

Message from syslogd@64studio at Sat Jan 17 05:37:07 2009 ...
64studio kernel: [27936.299336] Trying to fix it up, but a reboot is needed

Message from syslogd@64studio at Sat Jan 17 05:37:07 2009 ...
64studio kernel: [27936.298569] page:c14f82f4 flags:0x40000000 mapping:c14f8304 mapcount:0 count:0

Message from syslogd@64studio at Sat Jan 17 05:37:07 2009 ...
64studio kernel: [27936.298566] Bad page state in process 'firefox-bin'

Message from syslogd@64studio at Sat Jan 17 05:37:07 2009 ...
64studio kernel: [27936.299340] Backtrace:

Message from syslogd@64studio at Sat Jan 17 05:37:07 2009 ...
64studio kernel: [27936.463126] Trying to fix it up, but a reboot is needed

Message from syslogd@64studio at Sat Jan 17 05:37:07 2009 ...
64studio kernel: [27936.462332] page:c1496e34 flags:0x40000000 mapping:c1496e44 mapcount:0 count:0

Message from syslogd@64studio at Sat Jan 17 05:37:07 2009 ...

Message from syslogd@64studio at Sat Jan 17 05:37:07 2009 ...
64studio64studio kernel: [27936.463131] Backtrace:kernel: [27936.462328] Bad page state in process 'firefox-bin'

Old 01-17-2009, 08:50 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Hi Mira

try to remove Iceweasel (Firefox) by Synaptic and install it again and
reboot.

I don't know what's going wrong, but I would "follow the messages".
Because I guess you rebooted, the next step might be (I'm not sure) to
reinstall Iceweasel and "mark it for complete removal".

HTH,
Ralf

Old 01-17-2009, 10:58 PM
Gustin Johnson

Old 01-18-2009, 02:42 AM
dave

Jarom*r Mikeš wrote:

Hello all,

I am just curious what these messages in my terminal means ... never saw something like this before.

Cheers

mira

Message from syslogd@64studio at Sat Jan 17 05:37:06 2009 ...
64studio kernel: [27936.103287] Trying to fix it up, but a reboot is needed

Message from syslogd@64studio at Sat Jan 17 05:37:06 2009 ...
64studio kernel: [27936.103270] page:c14c0770 flags:0x40000000 mapping:c14c0780 mapcount:0 count:0

Hi Mira,

I am also finding with searches that I'm reading reports regarding:

ram, memory, or Hypertreading doesn't work with all the Motherboards.

Cheers,
dave.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:23 AM
Ralf Mardorf

dave wrote:
> Jarom*r Mikeš wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I am just curious what these messages in my terminal means ... never
>> saw something like this before.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> mira
>>

>> Message from syslogd@64studio at Sat Jan 17 05:37:06 2009 ...
>> 64studio kernel: [27936.103287] Trying to fix it up, but a reboot is
>> needed
>>
>> Message from syslogd@64studio at Sat Jan 17 05:37:06 2009 ...
>> 64studio kernel: [27936.103270] page:c14c0770 flags:0x40000000
>> mapping:c14c0780 mapcount:0 count:0
>>
> Hi Mira,
>
> I am also finding with searches that I'm reading reports regarding:
>
> ram, memory, or Hypertreading doesn't work with all the Motherboards.
>
> Cheers,
> dave.

I might be totally wrong with reinstalling firefox, but I remember that
some years ago I often had to reinstall firefox and also to remove the
folder for firefox in /home/user, because of some strange behaviour,
that seems to be caused by bad hardware (resp. it wasn't clear what was
going wrong), but it wasn't the hardware. Anyway, Mira had some messages
for firefox too. It can't harm to test it, but I've forgotten to write,
that it might be needed to remove the folder in /home/user too. Doesn't
had anyone else troubles with firefox?

Mira, do you get those messages, even if firefox isn't running?

Old 01-18-2009, 10:27 AM
Folderol

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 12:23:55 +0100
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> dave wrote:
> > Jarom*r Mikeš wrote:
> >> Hello all,
> >>
> >> I am just curious what these messages in my terminal means ... never
> >> saw something like this before.
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >>
> >> mira
> >>

> >> Message from syslogd@64studio at Sat Jan 17 05:37:06 2009 ...
> >> 64studio kernel: [27936.103287] Trying to fix it up, but a reboot is
> >> needed
> >>
> >> Message from syslogd@64studio at Sat Jan 17 05:37:06 2009 ...
> >> 64studio kernel: [27936.103270] page:c14c0770 flags:0x40000000
> >> mapping:c14c0780 mapcount:0 count:0
> >>
> > Hi Mira,
> >
> > I am also finding with searches that I'm reading reports regarding:
> >
> > ram, memory, or Hypertreading doesn't work with all the Motherboards.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > dave.
>
> I might be totally wrong with reinstalling firefox, but I remember that
> some years ago I often had to reinstall firefox and also to remove the
> folder for firefox in /home/user, because of some strange behaviour,
> that seems to be caused by bad hardware (resp. it wasn't clear what was
> going wrong), but it wasn't the hardware. Anyway, Mira had some messages
> for firefox too. It can't harm to test it, but I've forgotten to write,
> that it might be needed to remove the folder in /home/user too. Doesn't
> had anyone else troubles with firefox?
>
> Mira, do you get those messages, even if firefox isn't running?

I remember having that problem, but a very long time ago. Haven't had
it at all with the laster versions of V2 or the newer V3.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk

Old 01-18-2009, 10:34 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Folderol wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 12:23:55 +0100
> Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>

>> dave wrote:

>>> Hi Mira,
>>>
>>> I am also finding with searches that I'm reading reports regarding:
>>>
>>> ram, memory, or Hypertreading doesn't work with all the Motherboards.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> dave.
>>>
>> I might be totally wrong with reinstalling firefox, but I remember that
>> some years ago I often had to reinstall firefox and also to remove the
>> folder for firefox in /home/user, because of some strange behaviour,
>> that seems to be caused by bad hardware (resp. it wasn't clear what was
>> going wrong), but it wasn't the hardware. Anyway, Mira had some messages
>> for firefox too. It can't harm to test it, but I've forgotten to write,
>> that it might be needed to remove the folder in /home/user too. Doesn't
>> had anyone else troubles with firefox?
>>
>> Mira, do you get those messages, even if firefox isn't running?
>>

> I remember having that problem, but a very long time ago. Haven't had
> it at all with the laster versions of V2 or the newer V3.

Yes, a long time ago for me too, that I had those troubles and I never
had it with Iceweasel, it was the "original" Firefox. It also can't harm
to run memtest .

Old 01-18-2009, 11:00 AM
dave

dave wrote:

Jarom*r Mikeš wrote:

[...]

Hi all,

Can you remember if you were running a 2.6.26 kernel at the time?
A lot of the reports mentioned 2.6.26 RT, and included the firefox error
lines.

Cheers,
dave.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:17 PM
Jaromír Mikeš

< ------------ Původn* zpráva ------------
< Od: dave <drbudo@ntlworld.com>
< Předmět: Re: [64studio-users] Kernel 2.6.26 ... terminal messages
< Datum: 18.1.2009 13:00:41
< ----------------------------------------
< Ralf Mardorf wrote:
< > Folderol wrote:
< >
< >> On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 12:23:55 +0100

< >> Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
< >>
< >>
< >>
< >>> dave wrote:
< >>>
< >>>
< >>>> Jarom*r Mikeš wrote:
< >>>>
< >>>>
< >>>>> Hello all,

< >>>>>
[...]

<
< Hi all,
<
< Can you remember if you were running a 2.6.26 kernel at the time?
< A lot of the reports mentioned 2.6.26 RT, and included the firefox error
< lines.
<
< Cheers,

< dave.
<

Hi all,

I got these messages with 2.6.26-RT and iceweasel 3.0.5

Cheers

mira

Old 01-18-2009, 12:51 PM
Ichthyostega

dave schrieb:
> Can you remember if you were running a 2.6.26 kernel at the time? A lot of
> the reports mentioned 2.6.26 RT, and included the firefox error lines.

...which may or may not be of significance. On the usual desktop machine,
firefox is the largest program in memory which almost everyone will have
running after booting up the system.

Running memtest is of course a good idea, just to exclude this possible
and rather common problem (of some memory unit being broken). Besides that,
you could try to observe the messages. Are they repeated?
Any correlations with what you are doing? E.g. if you start open office
or use ardour (or any other program with large footprint), do you get
new messages?

Btw, I also had those messages sometimes in past on a machine with ubutustudio
(but I am running now a 2.6.22-RT kernel).
Just to explain: the messages indicate that something with memory
management goes wrong. The kernel found a memory page with inconsistent
status flags. This page belongs to the firefox process.

Now, this may be just accidental (and because firefox typically owns
one of the largest memory chunks, it got a high probability to suffer
from any sporadic problems). Or, it might be a bug within firefox.
Or, it might be a problem with the kernel and/or realtime patch, which
happens to be unearthed by something firefox does. You could try to
rule out those options, by not starting firefox, and by booting with
another kernel. If, for example, you don't start firefox, but instead
start open office (which is similar fat), or ardour, while remaining
on your realtime kernel, and you still get the message (now with another
process), than you could rule out firefox as a cause.

I saw several systems with defective hardware, which produced a very low
rate of corrupted bits on every transmitted data. If, for example (as
it was in the case of one of my past desktop machines), there is a
probability that the system flips one bit per 50MB of data transmitted
from HD, and this only when it's hot (in Summer), then you'll get all
sorts of unspecific crashes, warnings, sometimes corrupted checksums
and never find any cause. *In such a case*, re-installing any piece
of software may happen to behave like it fixed a problem.

But note, this is the sole reason why re-installing may change something.
Please remember, this isn't Windows here. Usually, people always waste a
lot of time with re-booting, closing all windows, re-installing software,
re-installing the whole OS, baking kernels on a random base without knowing
what they do. When you google for any problem, usually you'll find a lot of
advice telling you to do such crap and a lot of people claiming they fixed
stuff this way.
I want to give you the advice never to hear or to follow such recipes, unless
you are completely desperate and void of any real idea how to tackle the
problem. If just "doing" something makes you feel better, then please,
re-install all of your OS five times every week. But, if you want to
solve a problem in a rational manner, then try to isolate the cause,
apply *only one single change a time* and then re-evaluate if the problem
persists, use the help of real experts, i.e. people who act based on
knowledge, not based on assumptions and opinions.

Cheers,
Hermann