Old 01-14-2009, 06:51 PM

Default root-password problem

> Unless there is a simple way to set up an access a proper root account,
> I guess I'll be sticking with 2.1 then
>
> Will J Godfrey

There is a simple way.

Run "sudo password" in a teminal and supply the user password. Right
after it will ask for the root pasword twice.
If you now run "su" and supply the chosen root password you have a root
terminal.

Cheers,

Old 01-14-2009, 06:58 PM
Gustin Johnson

Folderol wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 06:56:39 -0500
> Dave Phillips <dlphilp@linux-sound.org> wrote:
>
>> Gustin Johnson wrote:

>>> The root account has been created. All that is missing is a password.
>>> I still don't see the arrogance of this. Using sudo is a good habit to
>>> get into, what exactly is the problem with encouraging new users to
>>> develop good habits?
>> I'm with Gustin on this one. At first I didn't like Ubuntu's insistence
>> on sudo, but it doesn't matter to me now. The only times I need su
>> privileges are when I'm performing administative tasks, mostly
>> installing stuff from repos or my own builds. Everything is still
>> copacetic here.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> dp
>
> I don't like sudo at all. In the first place I regard it as a
> weakening of security, in that to get admin privilege you only need
> your login password, rather than a completely separate one.
>
> Also, when doing admin work it is rare that I want to use a single
> command. I normally want to perform a block of operations in a terminal
> window then close it when I've finished. At the same time I don't want
> a sudo shell. I want it to be a conscious decision on my part that
> 'here be dragons'.

As a sysadmin I like the granularity that sudo provides. I can limit
what certain users have access to. The DBA can only restart mysql and
postgres, the mail admins can only restart ldap, exim, and cyrus. This
way none of them gets the root password, I do not have to deal with SUID
scripts, and I get logging to boot.

> Unless there is a simple way to set up an access a proper root account,
> I guess I'll be sticking with 2.1 then

sudo passwd

You could also configure PAM to allow logins for accounts without
passwords, but that is just insane IMO.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:08 AM
tim hall

Folderol wrote:

Unless there is a simple way to set up an access a proper root account,
I guess I'll be sticking with 2.1 then

Whoops. I really didn't intend to start a fry-up.
There is a way - sudo passwd.
Set a root password and all should work as expected.

I can't test this because I'm on the laptop I use for writing, which is
actually running Debian (-multimedia) Lenny, more or less. Most of this
is my frustration with Debian's release cycles, which means that the
stable release always contains old & deprecated software, which is no
longer supported.

It just means the end of me running a mixed-use system, which is
probably a Good Thing. ;-) Once I've got this current project out of the
door, I might try a Gentoo install.

cheers,

tim

Old 01-15-2009, 09:50 AM
Daniel James

Hi Tim,

Most of this
is my frustration with Debian's release cycles, which means that the
stable release always contains old & deprecated software, which is no
longer supported.

Quite. The feasibility of backporting new applications diminishes too. I
think you've hit on the main reason why Ubuntu was created in the first
place.

If you try the 3.0 alpha, you'll see Free has been turning Ubuntu back
into our vision of how Debian should be :-)

Once I've got this current project out of the
door, I might try a Gentoo install.

Always worth an experiment, but I think you'll find it harder work than
keeping Debian up to date ;-)

Cheers!

Daniel