-   -   3.0 fails to load (http://www.linux-archive.org/64-studio-user/222624-3-0-fails-load.html)

Dave Phillips 01-05-2009 10:07 AM

3.0 fails to load

Greetings,

First, the hardware details:

Notebook computer HP G60-125NR, with AMD Turion-X2, 3G RAM, 250G hd,
nVidia 8200M GPU, HDA Intel soundchip.

This machine is already running Ubuntu 8.10. I resized a partition and
installed the 64 Studio 3.0 alpha system, without troubles except for
one significant error message. The installer reported that there was no
kernel available for my hardware and that I could (if I'm an expert)
select one later. There is no "later" to select a kernel, so the message
is misleading. I opted to install the kernel later, the installation,
rolled to its conclusion, and it appeared that I had a new installation
of 64 Studio 3.0. I even added the do_initrd=YES to /etc/kernel.conf.

Alas, the system won't load. As soon as it reports "Loading, please
wait" that's the end of all activity. The machine is fine, I can reboot
with ctl-alt-del, and I still have my Ubuntu partition. But what's
happening here ? The installed kernel is 2.6.21-1-multimedia-486, is
that what it should be ? Please advise as to what I should try next. :)

Best,

dp

Dave Phillips 01-05-2009 10:22 AM

3.0 fails to load

Dave Phillips wrote:

... the system won't load. As soon as it reports "Loading, please
wait" that's the end of all activity...

Sorry, I told a lie. If I wait long enough I get this further report:

Check root= bootargs cat /proc/cmdline or missing modules, devices:
cat /proc/modules ls /dev.

ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/354a3759-3e65-4fa9-91f1-3e73b3f0d8a1 does
not exist. Dropping to shell !

At which point an initramfs prompt appears.

Suggestions ?

Best,

dp

Free Ekanayaka 01-05-2009 11:56 AM

3.0 fails to load

Hi Dave,

|--==> On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 06:22:26 -0500, Dave Phillips <dlphilp@linux-sound.org> said:

DP> Dave Phillips wrote:
>>
>>... the system won't load. As soon as it reports "Loading, please
>>wait" that's the end of all activity...

DP> Sorry, I told a lie. If I wait long enough I get this further report:

DP> Check root= bootargs cat /proc/cmdline or missing modules, devices:
DP> cat /proc/modules ls /dev.

DP> ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/354a3759-3e65-4fa9-91f1-3e73b3f0d8a1 does
DP> not exist. Dropping to shell !

DP> At which point an initramfs prompt appears.

The problem is that the 3.0 alpha release still uses the 2.6.21 kernel
from the 2.1 release, which AFAICT is the latest stable one RT-wise
(kernels > 2.6.21 all have issues on some hardware). Unfortunately the
2.6.21 lacks support of some recent hardware, most noticeably some
ethernet cards and some SATA2 controllers.

Kernel 2.6.28 promises to be better RT-wise, but its RT patch hasn't
been released yet. As soon as I find a good rt-kernel I will release a
3.0 beta, which will work on newer hardware as well.

Ciao!

Free

Free Ekanayaka 01-05-2009 11:56 AM

3.0 fails to load

Gustin Johnson 01-05-2009 03:02 PM

3.0 fails to load

Gustin Johnson 01-05-2009 03:02 PM

3.0 fails to load

"Peter Geirnaert" 01-06-2009 11:14 AM

3.0 fails to load

Hi,
I checked the information about a HP G60-125NR and I also have
the RS780 Host Bridge and SB700/SB800 SATA Controller [AHCI mode]
and a fine running Ubuntu 8.10 (generic kernel), but can't get 64Studio 3.0 to load.

>>Gustin wrote:
>What you could try is replacing the device portion for root=
>Replace UUID=354a3759-3e65-4fa9-91f1-3e73b3f0d8a1 with the /dev/sdx that
>is appropriate for the actual device.

I've done that but it didn't help.
Then I added rootdelay=120 to the end of the kernel line of the 64studio entry, but this also didn't help.
ls /dev | grep sd gives me only

sda
sdb
sdc
These are the flash card usb type of drives I have, so there's no hard disk available.

I've been checking launchpad for related bugs and found
[REGRESSION] No disk drives in /dev/disk after upgrading to Intrepid

looking imho similar to the one we're having here, and the fix is added:

*Colin King*wrote
on 2008-09-24:

Commit a2bd7274b47124d2fc4dfdb8c0591f545ba749dd introduced this bug, and Linus has now reverted it

(commit b4609472116bb806a95e98d04767189406c74c70). This fix is now in Ubuntu-2.6.27-4.6.

Please comment on what I misunderstood, thanks ;-)

Gustin Johnson 01-06-2009 01:37 PM

3.0 fails to load

Peter Geirnaert wrote:
> Hi,
> I checked the information about a HP G60-125NR and I also have
> the RS780 Host Bridge and SB700/SB800 SATA Controller [AHCI mode]
> and a fine running Ubuntu 8.10 (generic kernel), but can't get 64Studio
> 3.0 to load.
>
>>>Gustin wrote:
>>What you could try is replacing the device portion for root=
>>Replace UUID=354a3759-3e65-4fa9-91f1-3e73b3f0d8a1 with the /dev/sdx that
>>is appropriate for the actual device.
>
> I've done that but it didn't help.
> Then I added rootdelay=120 to the end of the kernel line of the 64studio
> entry, but this also didn't help.
> ls /dev | grep sd gives me only
> sda
> sdb
> sdc
> These are the flash card usb type of drives I have, so there's no hard
> disk available.

Are we talking about SSDs, USB flash devices, or compact flash cards in
PATA adaptors? Also, how are you able to do an ls on /dev? How are you
booting this machine to see this?

I would also be interested in the output of the following:

for each in `ls /dev/*` ; do parted $each print ; done

You may need root privileges for that command.

> I've been checking launchpad for related bugs and found
> [REGRESSION] No disk drives in /dev/disk after upgrading to Intrepid
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/267634>
> looking imho similar to the one we're having here, and the fix is added:
>
> Colin King wrote on 2008-09-24:
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/267634/comments/3>
>
> Commit a2bd7274b47124d2fc4dfdb8c0591f545ba749dd introduced this bug, and
> Linus has now reverted it
>
> (commit b4609472116bb806a95e98d04767189406c74c70). This fix is now in
> Ubuntu-2.6.27-4.6.
>

> Please comment on what I misunderstood, thanks ;-)

Well for one the kernel versions are very different. According to Free:
"The problem is that the 3.0 alpha release still uses the 2.6.21
kernel..." so we are not dealing with apples to apples here. 64Studio 3
alpha uses 2.6.21 and the latest Ubuntu kernel is 2.6.27-9.19 I suspect
that the newer udev/hotplug userspace apps that ship with Ubuntu may be
acting weirdly with such an old kernel.

For you, the 64 Studio kernel might not in fact support your laptop.
The Compaq/HP I just sold (it gave me 2 miserable years) was similar to
yours. Things did not stabilize until the 2.6.24 era of kernels in
addition to a couple of BIOS updates. You may need to build your own
kernel and install it via a chroot dpkg.

Hth,

"Peter Geirnaert" 01-06-2009 03:26 PM

3.0 fails to load

Hi Gustin,

> ls /dev | grep sd gives me only

> sda

> sdb

> sdc

> These are the flash card usb type of drives I have, so there's no hard

> disk available.

Are we talking about SSDs, USB flash devices, or compact flash cards in

PATA adaptors?
I think it's compact flash cards in PATA adaptors we're talking about.
lsusb in the working Ubuntu shows me a "Standard Microsystems Corp. 9-in-2 Card Reader"
and there are ports on the desktop computer's front panel to insert CF, MS/SD/MMC* and SM/XD cards.

There's also a docking port with 3 connections on the top of the computer to connect a MEDION external eSATA drive,
but there's no external disk connected to it, so I don't think that's one of the sd's

I also didn't connect no usb disk or memory stick.

*Also, how are you able to do an ls on /dev? *How are you

booting this machine to see this?When the machine boots, it first loads GRUB.
64Studio is the default kernel in the list because it's the last distro I installed.
When I choose 64studio to boot, I first get the error warning:

PCI: BIOS Bug : MCFG area at e0000000 is not E820-reserved
PCI: Not using MMCONFIG
_ (blinking underscore for a while)
*
Then I get the same ase Dave reported:
Check root= bootargs cat /proc/cmdline or missing modules, devices: cat /proc/modules ls /dev.

(initramfs)

here I do ls /dev

I would also be interested in the output of the following:

for each in `ls /dev/*` ; do parted $each print ; done

You may need root privileges for that command.OK, I will try that now, but I don't think root privileges will be needed
because there's no user logged in yet, it's "busybox", (initramfs), what's the correct name for that "application" ?

*> I've been checking launchpad for related bugs and found

> [REGRESSION] No disk drives in /dev/disk after upgrading to Intrepid

> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/267634>

> looking imho similar to the one we're having here, and the fix is added:

> *Colin King wrote on 2008-09-24:

> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/267634/comments/3>

> Commit a2bd7274b47124d2fc4dfdb8c0591f545ba749dd introduced this bug, and

> Linus has now reverted it

> (commit b4609472116bb806a95e98d04767189406c74c70). This fix is now in

> Ubuntu-2.6.27-4.6.

> Please comment on what I misunderstood, thanks ;-)

Well for one the kernel versions are very different. *According to Free:

"The problem is that the 3.0 alpha release still uses the 2.6.21

kernel..." so we are not dealing with apples to apples here. *Thanks for the coment, but ,
I was thinking that too, I just don't know where to find out when
"Commit a2bd7274b47124d2fc4dfdb8c0591f545ba749dd" had been applied (and how it introduced the bug).

If this was done in the 2.6.21 kernel, we would be dealing with apples to apples imho.
So now I still think it could be relevant.

*
64Studio 3

alpha uses 2.6.21 and the latest Ubuntu kernel is 2.6.27-9.19 *I suspect

that the newer udev/hotplug userspace apps that ship with Ubuntu may be

acting weirdly with such an old kernel.*So if I understand this correctly, to get it working,
these userspace apps should be modified/rewritten to work also with the older kernel,
for 64studio and other distro's who still depend on the 2.6.21 kernel.

Or use some sort of adaptor or "protocol" convertor ?
Anyway, I'll try the for each in 'ls /dev ... thing now ..

Cheers
Peter

"Peter Geirnaert" 01-06-2009 04:11 PM

3.0 fails to load

Hi again,
my hardware :
Desktop computer MEDION AKOYA E5310D (MD8394) with AMD Phenom X3 Triple-core cpu, 3G RAM, 640G SATA2 hd (WD6400AACS), MS-7501 MEDIONPC baseboard (MSI ??).

so after the reboot I had the same loading procedure:

*Also, how are you able to do an ls on /dev? *How are you

booting this machine to see this?When the machine boots, it first loads GRUB.
64Studio is the default kernel in the list because it's the last distro I installed.
When I choose 64studio to boot, I first get the error warning:

PCI: BIOS Bug : MCFG area at e0000000 is not E820-reserved
PCI: Not using MMCONFIG
_ (blinking underscore for a while)
*
Then I get the same as Dave reported:

Check root= bootargs cat /proc/cmdline or missing modules, devices: cat /proc/modules ls /dev.

(initramfs)

here I do ls /dev

I would also be interested in the output of the following:

for each in `ls /dev/*` ; do parted $each print ; done

You may need root privileges for that command.OK, I will try that now, but I don't think root privileges will be needed
because there's no user logged in yet, it's "busybox", (initramfs), what's the correct name for that "application" ?

The output Gustin asked for:
(initramfs) for each in `ls /dev/*` ; do parted $each print ; done
/bin/sh: parted not found
(initramfs) sudo for each in `ls /dev/*` ; do parted $each print ; done

/bin/sh: sudo not found

/bin/sh: parted not found

The sd* devices that show up are already showing up before GRUB even starts,
right after the memory calculation, when the USB devices are initialized
so I don't think they're relevant to this problem with the SATA controller.

PCI: BIOS Bug : MCFG area at e0000000 is not E820-reserved
PCI: Not using MMCONFIG
These errors may be relevant imho, because i don't get them when I boot Ubuntu 8.10 or Ubuntu 8.04.

BTW, thanks for the bash example :-)

*;-)
Peter