Old 01-06-2009, 08:44 PM
Gustin Johnson

Default 3.0 fails to load

Peter Geirnaert wrote:
> Hi Gustin,
>
> > ls /dev | grep sd gives me only
> > sda
> > sdb
> > sdc
> > These are the flash card usb type of drives I have, so there's no hard
> > disk available.
> >
> Are we talking about SSDs, USB flash devices, or compact flash cards in
> PATA adaptors?
>

> I think it's compact flash cards in PATA adaptors we're talking about.
> lsusb in the working Ubuntu shows me a "Standard Microsystems Corp.
> 9-in-2 Card Reader"
> and there are ports on the desktop computer's front panel to insert CF,
> MS/SD/MMC and SM/XD cards.

This should not appear any differently than a PATA hard drive. This
does not make a lot of sense given that you are using a laptop with a
SATA hard drive interface. I also get the sense that you have a working
install of Ubuntu?

> There's also a docking port with 3 connections on the top of the
> computer to connect a MEDION external eSATA drive,
> but there's no external disk connected to it, so I don't think that's
> one of the sd's
> I also didn't connect no usb disk or memory stick.

That explains the all the sd devices with no partitions. The card
reader will present each slot as a device, but with no partitions until
a media card with a partition is inserted.

> Also, how are you able to do an ls on /dev? How are you
> booting this machine to see this?
>
> When the machine boots, it first loads GRUB.
> 64Studio is the default kernel in the list because it's the last distro
> I installed.
> When I choose 64studio to boot, I first get the error warning:
> PCI: BIOS Bug : MCFG area at e0000000 is not E820-reserved
> PCI: Not using MMCONFIG
> _ (blinking underscore for a while)

Update your BIOS.

> Then I get the same ase Dave reported:
> Check root= bootargs cat /proc/cmdline or missing modules, devices: cat
> /proc/modules ls /dev.
> (initramfs)
>
> here I do ls /dev
>
> I would also be interested in the output of the following:
>
> for each in `ls /dev/*` ; do parted $each print ; done
>
> You may need root privileges for that command.
>
> OK, I will try that now, but I don't think root privileges will be needed
> because there's no user logged in yet, it's "busybox", (initramfs),
> what's the correct name for that "application" ?

Oh that command I have only tested under bash, it probably won't work
with busybox.

> 64Studio 3
> alpha uses 2.6.21 and the latest Ubuntu kernel is 2.6.27-9.19 I suspect
> that the newer udev/hotplug userspace apps that ship with Ubuntu may be
> acting weirdly with such an old kernel.
>

> So if I understand this correctly, to get it working,
> these userspace apps should be modified/rewritten to work also with the
> older kernel,

No, these apps work hand in hand with the more recent kernels. The
solution is one of two things;

First option is to build a more recent kernel (I have had a reasonably
good experience with the 2.6.24 and rt25 patch.

The second is to wait for an RT patch to 2.6.28.

Your hardware is not well supported by the 2.6.21 kernel anyway.

> for 64studio and other distro's who still depend on the 2.6.21 kernel.
> Or use some sort of adaptor or "protocol" convertor ?

64Studio 3.0 is an *Alpha* release after all. I do not expect it to be
released with a 2.6.21, it is simply what it is using at this stage of
development. Also, depending on an old kernel is a bad idea for many
reasons.

It is unfortunate for us multimedia types that there are currently RT
problems with the last few kernels, but the changes being made are
important within the big picture.

> Anyway, I'll try the for each in 'ls /dev ... thing now ..

Look in /var/log/dmesg for each of those /dev/sd devices. It may give
you more information. At this point my best guess is that the 2.6.21
kernel does not have complete or bugfree drivers for your chipset.

hth,

Old 01-06-2009, 11:41 PM
"Peter Geirnaert"

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 10:44 PM, Gustin Johnson <gustin@echostar.ca> wrote:

Peter Geirnaert wrote:

> Hi Gustin,

> * * > ls /dev | grep sd gives me only

> * * > sda

> * * > sdb

> * * > sdc

> * * > These are the flash card usb type of drives I have, so there's no hard

> * * > disk available.

> * * >

> * * Are we talking about SSDs, USB flash devices, or compact flash cards in

> * * PATA adaptors?

> I think it's compact flash cards in PATA adaptors we're talking about.

> lsusb in the working Ubuntu shows me a "Standard Microsystems Corp.

> 9-in-2 Card Reader"

> and there are ports on the desktop computer's front panel to insert CF,

> MS/SD/MMC *and SM/XD cards.

This should not appear any differently than a PATA hard drive. *This

does not make a lot of sense given that you are using a laptop with a

SATA hard drive interface. *I also get the sense that you have a working

install of Ubuntu?

No, I'm not using a laptop, Dave Philips is using a laptop, I'm using a desktop computer,
but also with RS780 and SB700/SB800 controllers, a SATA hard drive and an AMD multi-core CPU.

(Maybe this is all irrelevant, I only just found out RS780 and SB700/SB800 are components that can be found in a lot of different computers.)
And I also get busybox after the boot, just like Dave Philips.
That's why I write all this here, to share my experiences, I have Ubuntu 8.10 running here fine, on the same desktop computer

and disk that I'm trying to get the alpha release installed on. I just didn't test the HDA intel onboard sound.

The card reader will present each slot as a device, but with no partitions until

a media card with a partition is inserted.Yes, if I didn't have the card reader I would get 'no disk found', at least that's what I think because I didn't disconnect the card reader and see what it does.

*> PCI: BIOS Bug : MCFG area at e0000000 is not E820-reserved

> PCI: Not using MMCONFIG
Update your BIOS.I'm planning to sell this computer again, and Ubuntu runs fine on it,
not giving this error, sorry I think I'll skip this as I'm not experienced with updating a BIOS.

Or do you think this is really serious ? Btw :
peter@ubustu:~$ sudo dmidecode -s bios-release-date
06/12/2008
*

> * * 64Studio 3

> * * alpha uses 2.6.21 and the latest Ubuntu kernel is 2.6.27-9.19 *I suspect

> * * that the newer udev/hotplug userspace apps that ship with Ubuntu may be

> * * acting weirdly with such an old kernel.

> So if I understand this correctly, to get it working,

> these userspace apps should be modified/rewritten to work also with the

> older kernel,

No, these apps work hand in hand with the more recent kernels. *The

solution is one of two things;

First option is to build a more recent kernel (I have had a reasonably

good experience with the 2.6.24 and rt25 patch.

The second is to wait for an RT patch to 2.6.28.

Your hardware is not well supported by the 2.6.21 kernel anyway.I would not expect from anyone to rewrite any app just to get MY computer running 64studio Alpha NOW :-)
So for testing purposes, we will need another AMD64 computer than Dave's laptop or my desktop computer, right ?

(At this time I'm trying to write a sysex driver so I'm not really in a need for a realtime kernel, just interested in testing it.)
*

> for 64studio and other distro's who still depend on the 2.6.21 kernel.

> Or use some sort of adaptor or "protocol" convertor ?

64Studio 3.0 is an *Alpha* release after all. *I do not expect it to be

released with a 2.6.21, it is simply what it is using at this stage of

development. *Also, depending on an old kernel is a bad idea for many

reasons.

It is unfortunate for us multimedia types that there are currently RT

problems with the last few kernels, but the changes being made are

important within the big picture.

So at this time, the best multimedia production computer is not the newest but the tested one I guess.
Maybe this already is a rule in Linux-life, I'm too new here to know about that.

*

> Anyway, I'll try the for each in 'ls /dev ... thing now ..

Look in /var/log/dmesg for each of those /dev/sd devices. *It may give

you more information. *At this point my best guess is that the 2.6.21

kernel does not have complete or bugfree drivers for your chipset.

I'm not sure I understand this right. Running Ubuntu, i read
/media/disk/var/log/dmesg (disk is the mounted 64studio partition)
and there's only the line:
1. (Nothing has been logged yet.)

Maybe I'll have to do something to make the boot process write to the log file, but it's too late now so I'll do that tomorrow.
What I already found out is syslog writes the dmesg log, does it do this automatically when there's an error? If so, there was no error.

hth,*
Kind regards,
Peter

Old 01-07-2009, 05:54 PM
Gustin Johnson

Peter Geirnaert wrote:
<snip>

> This should not appear any differently than a PATA hard drive. This
> does not make a lot of sense given that you are using a laptop with a
> SATA hard drive interface. I also get the sense that you have a working
> install of Ubuntu?
>
> No, I'm not using a laptop, Dave Philips is using a laptop, I'm using a
> desktop computer,
> but also with RS780 and SB700/SB800 controllers, a SATA hard drive and
> an AMD multi-core CPU.

OK, so you are not using a flash drive. I think I am starting to get a
feel for what is going on. I am certainly not the sharpest knife in the
drawer.

> (Maybe this is all irrelevant, I only just found out RS780 and
> SB700/SB800 are components that can be found in a lot of different
> computers.)
> And I also get busybox after the boot, just like Dave Philips.
> That's why I write all this here, to share my experiences, I have Ubuntu
> 8.10 running here fine, on the same desktop computer
> and disk that I'm trying to get the alpha release installed on. I just
> didn't test the HDA intel onboard sound.

The different between the two that I see as important is the kernel.
The latest Ubuntu ships with 2.7.27.xx which supports newer chipsets and
the like.

> The card reader will present each slot as a device, but with no
> partitions until
> a media card with a partition is inserted.
>
> Yes, if I didn't have the card reader I would get 'no disk found', at
> least that's what I think because I didn't disconnect the card reader
> and see what it does.

I would expect a no disk found error.

> > PCI: BIOS Bug : MCFG area at e0000000 is not E820-reserved
> > PCI: Not using MMCONFIG
> Update your BIOS.
>
> I'm planning to sell this computer again, and Ubuntu runs fine on it,
> not giving this error, sorry I think I'll skip this as I'm not
> experienced with updating a BIOS.
> Or do you think this is really serious ? Btw :
> peter@ubustu:~$ sudo dmidecode -s bios-release-date
> 06/12/2008

My experiences with my last laptop and an AM2 board would lead me to
respond with a yes. These machines were pretty much unusable on Linux
without BIOS updates. I have been more than disappointed with the AM2
platform. I have been using computers for a very long time, so to say
that my Turion and this AM2 board are the worst hardware choices I have
ever made says something.

In contrast I have been very happy with the Core2 laptop and the older
939 X2 systems that I have. The 939 4400+ X2 is probably the best
machine I have ever owned. 3 years on and it is still inside my DAW and
it is still a joy to use.

> > 64Studio 3
> > alpha uses 2.6.21 and the latest Ubuntu kernel is 2.6.27-9.19
> I suspect
> > that the newer udev/hotplug userspace apps that ship with
> Ubuntu may be
> > acting weirdly with such an old kernel.
> >

> > So if I understand this correctly, to get it working,
> > these userspace apps should be modified/rewritten to work also
> with the
> > older kernel,
>
> No, these apps work hand in hand with the more recent kernels. The
> solution is one of two things;
>
> First option is to build a more recent kernel (I have had a reasonably
> good experience with the 2.6.24 and rt25 patch.
>
> The second is to wait for an RT patch to 2.6.28.
>
> Your hardware is not well supported by the 2.6.21 kernel anyway.
>
> I would not expect from anyone to rewrite any app just to get MY
> computer running 64studio Alpha NOW :-)
> So for testing purposes, we will need another AMD64 computer than Dave's
> laptop or my desktop computer, right ?

I will be putting the 64bit version through its paces on my laptop. I
will also be testing it on one of my machines at home. AMD FX60
(another 939 based system). I do not really expect driver problems with
either of these.

A more apples to apples comparison would be to test on other AM2 or AM2+
systems. I no longer have access to such a system.

Out of curiosity are you using the 32 or 64 bit version? I could
probably build a kernel for you to try.

> (At this time I'm trying to write a sysex driver so I'm not really in a
> need for a realtime kernel, just interested in testing it.)
>

> > for 64studio and other distro's who still depend on the 2.6.21 kernel.
> > Or use some sort of adaptor or "protocol" convertor ?
> >
> 64Studio 3.0 is an *Alpha* release after all. I do not expect it to be
> released with a 2.6.21, it is simply what it is using at this stage of
> development. Also, depending on an old kernel is a bad idea for many
> reasons.
>
> It is unfortunate for us multimedia types that there are currently RT
> problems with the last few kernels, but the changes being made are
> important within the big picture.
>

> So at this time, the best multimedia production computer is not the
> newest but the tested one I guess.
> Maybe this already is a rule in Linux-life, I'm too new here to know
> about that.

That is an excellent general rule to follow. If you are buying new, I
would choose Intel since they have been very good at getting their
drivers integrated upstream (ie. into the vanilla kernel at kernel.org).
In other words their stuff tends to work out of the box sooner than
anyone else.

The latest ATI driver is open source so the future looks promising over
at AMD/ATI, they are just not there yet. The other problem with AMD is
that their chips often get paired with crappy wireless chips like broadcomm.

Of course as usual, YMMV.

> > Anyway, I'll try the for each in 'ls /dev ... thing now ..
>
> Look in /var/log/dmesg for each of those /dev/sd devices. It may give
> you more information. At this point my best guess is that the 2.6.21
> kernel does not have complete or bugfree drivers for your chipset.
>
> I'm not sure I understand this right. Running Ubuntu, i read
> /media/disk/var/log/dmesg (disk is the mounted 64studio partition)
> and there's only the line:

I actually want the /var/log/dmesg from Ubuntu, since it does boot it
should detect your hardware. This file is written at boot, since
64studio is not booting, it should be empty

> 1. (Nothing has been logged yet.)
>
> Maybe I'll have to do something to make the boot process write to the
> log file, but it's too late now so I'll do that tomorrow.
> What I already found out is syslog writes the dmesg log, does it do this
> automatically when there's an error? If so, there was no error.

You have to boot first. Since the hard drive is not being detected, it
is not booting, so the file is not being written. /var/log/dmesg is
boot info, after boot, all subsequent stuff gets logged to
/var/log/messages.

Hth,

Old 01-07-2009, 09:03 PM
"Peter Geirnaert"

Gustin Johnson wrote:

> So for testing purposes, we will need another AMD64 computer than Dave's

> laptop or my desktop computer, right ?

I will be putting the 64bit version through its paces on my laptop. *I

will also be testing it on one of my machines at home. *AMD FX60

(another 939 based system). *I do not really expect driver problems with

either of these.

A more apples to apples comparison would be to test on other AM2 or AM2+

*systems. *I no longer have access to such a system.

Out of curiosity are you using the 32 or 64 bit version? *I could

probably build a kernel for you to try.
I'm using the 64 bit version. If you're going to build the kernel, I'll try it, I promise. Let me know if I should read something about installing the kernel first, because Linux From Scratch is somewhere on my agenda later this year, after finishing the sysex driver :-)

*[snip]

I actually want the /var/log/dmesg from Ubuntu,
You can find that beautiful file here: dmesg ;-)
I'm reading it and it's full of interesting info,

I like it, thanks a lot for showing me this log file about the starting of every part of the engine. :-)
there's indeed no BIOS-e820 saying e0000000
but I did find these lines looking for e0000000:

[*** 0.572327] Fam 10h mmconf [e0000000, e00fffff]

[*** 0.572327] node 0 link 0: mmio [a0000, bffff]
[*** 0.572327] node 0 link 0: mmio [c0000000, dfffffff]
[*** 0.572327] node 0 link 0: mmio [e0000000, efffffff] ==> [e0100000, efffffff]
[*** 0.572327] node 0 link 0: mmio [f0000000, ffefffff]

[*** 0.572327] bus: [00,07] on node 0 link 0
[*** 0.572327] bus: 00 index 0 io port: [0, ffff]
[*** 0.572327] bus: 00 index 1 mmio: [a0000, bffff]
[*** 0.572327] bus: 00 index 2 mmio: [c0000000, dfffffff]
[*** 0.572327] bus: 00 index 3 mmio: [e0100000, fcffffffff]

[*** 0.572327] ACPI: bus type pci registered
[*** 0.572327] PCI: MCFG configuration 0: base e0000000 segment 0 buses 0 - 255
[*** 0.572327] PCI: Not using MMCONFIG.
[*** 0.572327] PCI: Using configuration type 1 for base access

[*** 0.572327] PCI: Using configuration type 1 for extended access
[*** 0.572610] ACPI: EC: Look up EC in DSDT
[*** 0.586463] ACPI: Interpreter enabled
[*** 0.586466] ACPI: (supports S0 S1 S3 S4 S5)
[*** 0.586483] ACPI: Using IOAPIC for interrupt routing

[*** 0.586555] PCI: MCFG configuration 0: base e0000000 segment 0 buses 0 - 255
[*** 0.593305] PCI: MCFG area at e0000000 reserved in ACPI motherboard resources
[*** 0.605661] PCI: Using MMCONFIG at e0000000 - efffffff

It looks like the newer kernel solves the BIOS Bug and not mentions it, only in the dmesg file.
Thanks to trying the 64studio alpha release, I now know there's a need to update the BIOS, or to tell MEDION they have a bug in it.

Cheers