Old 01-01-2009, 05:29 PM
Free Ekanayaka

Default 64 Studio 3.0 Alpha - Happy New Year release

Hi,

as many 64 Studio users are start asking for installable ISOs of the
3.0 alpha release, here we go:

http://pdk.64studio.com/projects/64studio/hardy/images/64studio_master_i386.iso
http://pdk.64studio.com/projects/64studio/hardy/images/64studio_master_amd64.iso

Please keep in mind that all this is ALPHA software and you might hit
bugs, so reports are welcome!

I've tested i386 version, which should be reasonably usable, while the
amd64 is pretty untested.

Ciao!

Free

Old 01-01-2009, 09:23 PM
dave

Hi Free,

Free Ekanayaka wrote:

Hi,

as many 64 Studio users are start asking for installable ISOs of the
3.0 alpha release, here we go:

http://pdk.64studio.com/projects/64studio/hardy/images/64studio_master_i386.iso
http://pdk.64studio.com/projects/64studio/hardy/images/64studio_master_amd64.iso

Please keep in mind that all this is ALPHA software and you might hit
bugs, so reports are welcome!

I've tested i386 version, which should be reasonably usable, while the
amd64 is pretty untested.

Ciao!

Free

*64studio_master_i386*

1)
Image installed on a single disk system with one ext3 data partition.

hda1 ext3 /
hda2 ext3 /media/data
hda3 swap

Clean install, no problems, I had to re-set qjackctl for realtime. ok.

2)
Image installed on multi-boot-partition.
Clean install, no problems, I had to re-set qjackctl for realtime. ok.

Both installs show:
The reboot was the ubuntu version (no splash).
The /etc/sysctrl.conf kernel error messages were present. So we still
need to comment out

kernel.maps_protect =1
vm.mmap_min_addr = 65536

/etc/security/limits.conf has these entries already added.

@audio - rtprio 99
@audio - memlock 2000000
@audio - nice -10

sudo mkdir /usr/share/backgrounds
sudo cp (your wallpaper) /usr/share/backgrounds

I'll spend some time now to look for any issues, but both installs were
clean here.

Great work Free,

Cheers!
dave.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:10 AM
Quentin Harley

Free Ekanayaka wrote:

Hi,

as many 64 Studio users are start asking for installable ISOs of the
3.0 alpha release, here we go:

http://pdk.64studio.com/projects/64studio/hardy/images/64studio_master_i386.iso
http://pdk.64studio.com/projects/64studio/hardy/images/64studio_master_amd64.iso

MD5 checksums? As usual I have some difficulties with my ISP (or router)

Cheers,

Old 01-09-2009, 04:34 PM
"Philippe Macaire"

On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 7:29 PM, Free Ekanayaka <free@64studio.com> wrote:
> as many 64 Studio users are start asking for installable ISOs of the
> 3.0 alpha release, here we go:
>
> http://pdk.64studio.com/projects/64studio/hardy/images/64studio_master_i386.iso
> http://pdk.64studio.com/projects/64studio/hardy/images/64studio_master_amd64.iso
>
> Please keep in mind that all this is ALPHA software and you might hit
> bugs, so reports are welcome!

Hi Free,

I would like to report that I tried to install the new version on my
new laptop without success.

I think there is something wrong between my video driver/card and the
installation process. I previously described some issues here:
http://www.64studio.com/node/827 (problems with an existing, external
64studio installation and the video drivers)
http://www.64studio.com/node/865 (problems with the installation process)

When I run the 3.0 alpha installation CD, I get a blank screen after
blank screen after several seconds after booting. If needed I can send
(in a private mail) a small (well... 4 Megs -- no point to send this
to the list) video file showing how this happens (it's hard to
explain).

This happens with:
- 64studio 2.0, 2.1 and 3.0 alpha installation CDs
- 64studio Live CD

but does not happen with:
- Ubuntu 8.04 Live CD

which "demonstrates" that my new laptop is not totally hostile to GNU/Linux!

My main problem is that I don't know how to put my hands on the
problem, since I don't know what to look for (no log files written on
disk and no shell prompt to play with).

Any clues on how to look into this one?

Thanks in advance (and let me know if you want to see the video).

--
Best regards,
Philippe.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Free Ekanayaka

Hi Philippe,

I don't have enough details to tell it for sure, but I guess this is a
kernel-related problem. The kernel used in 2.0, 2.1 and 3.0 is the
same one, so support for newer hardware is very poor right now. The
next 3.0 beta will come with a newer kernel.

Stay tuned!

Ciao,

Free

Old 01-09-2009, 07:19 PM
"Philippe Macaire"

Hi Free, thanks for the swift reply!

My understanding is that, since this problem may occur while the
kernel is still initializing, it would be highly probable that it is
kernel related... (but I'm just guessing)

I'll patiently wait for the 3.0 beta then.

Just out of curiosity: if you found yourself in my same situation,
what would you do to dig it further?

Thanks again!

--
Best regards,
Philippe.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:48 PM
Gustin Johnson

Old 01-09-2009, 10:22 PM
"Philippe Macaire"

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 9:48 PM, Gustin Johnson <gustin@echostar.ca> wrote:
>> Just out of curiosity: if you found yourself in my same situation,
>> what would you do to dig it further?
>>
> Boot a Live CD with a more modern kernel. Knoppix, Systemrescuecd,
> Ubuntu Live CD should all be fine. Commands like lspci, dmidecode
> ("sudo dmidecode -s bios-version" to get the bios version, I would then
> check to see if there are updates for my machine) . Maybe have a look
> at /var/log/dmesg, there tends to be some decent hardware information in
> there.

Yeah, booting Ubuntu Live CD 8.04 works pretty well. That's why I'll
be patient and wait for the next beta (which should be 2.6.24 based if
I'm not wrong).

I was only wondering: when some developer (like Free) finds
him/herself in front of an apparently big issue like this one, what
tools can he/she use to check the last logged message for instance,
etc... Otherwise distro development would be a nightmare.

> If it were me I would also end up building my own kernel from the
> sources found at http://www.kernel.org

A bit scary for now... but thanks for suggesting! :-)

--
Best regards,
Philippe.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:51 AM
Quentin Harley

Philippe Macaire wrote:

Yeah, booting Ubuntu Live CD 8.04 works pretty well. That's why I'll
be patient and wait for the next beta (which should be 2.6.24 based if
I'm not wrong).

You are ;-) It should be 2.4.28

Cheers,
Quentin