Old 12-25-2008, 05:00 PM
dave

Default 64 Studio 3.0 Alpha - Christmas release

Free Ekanayaka wrote:

Hi,

here's a small Christmas gift for the 64 Studio community

As you all probably know Debian/lenny has been delayed and it is not
yet clear when it will be released (it was initially scheduled for
September 2008). Practically this means that we can't set any schedule
for a lenny-based 64 Studio 3.0.

So we decided to change a bit the plan and start working on an
Ubuntu/hardy-based 64 Studio 3.0, which is a platform we already
deploy for several projects and known to be stable.

For the braves of you here follows some instructions about how to
upgrade from 64 Studio 2.1 to the developing branch of 64 Studio
3.0. Please keep in mind that all this is still in alpha stage, but
should be already pretty usable.

Last but not least, please note that the procedure below has been
tested on the i386 version only. The amd64 version was not tested,
but reports are welcome.

Merry Christmas and happy testing to everybody.

Ciao!

Free

============= 2.1 -> 3.0alpha upgrade instructions =====================

0) You should have two APT sources files on your 2.1 install:

/etc/apt/sources.list
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/64studio.list

comment *ALL* entries you have in these two files, and in
the following steps use only the file:

/etc/apt/sources.list

1) Add

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
deb http://apt.64studio.com/backports etch-backports main

to your /etc/apt/sources.list and run:

apt-get update
apt-get install dpkg
apt-get remove firefox meterbridge

2) Remove the APT entries of step 1) from your /etc/apt/sources.list
and add these new repositories:

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy main restricted multiverse universe
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy-updates main restricted multiverse universe
deb http://apt.64studio.com/backports hardy-backports main
deb http://people.64studio.com/~free/64studio ./

Then run:

apt-get install ubuntu-keyring
apt-get install sysv-rc=2.86.ds1-14.1ubuntu45.64studio1~hardy1

3) Now run:

apt-get dist-upgrade

and choose the default answer to all questions.

4) Finally issue a:

reboot

from the terminal.

Hi Free,

I hope you are having a good Christmas.
All the best to everyone for the new year. :-)

Clean installs of 64studio_2.1 and following your dist-upgrade
instructions, works fine here.

Once your dist-upgrade has completed and you have rebooted.

1) open a gnome-terminal & run

sudo mkdir /usr/share/backgrounds
sudo cp (your wallpaper) /usr/share/backgrounds

Your screensaver preferences menu will look for this backgrounds folder,
if it can't find it, the screensaver menu will play up.

2) limits.conf for jackd to use realtime settings.

sudo gedit /etc/security/limits.conf

Open limits.conf.dpkg-old from inside gedit and copy the 3 @audio
settings into the new limits.conf

You might have to reset your qjackctl settings for Realtime & your card.

The tests I have run have all been done from clean installs.
I have run the process quite a few times, all ok.
Great work :-)

Cheers!
dave.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:44 PM
Quentin Harley

Free Ekanayaka wrote:

Merry Christmas and happy testing to everybody.

One failure report so far...

http://www.64studio.com/node/877#comment-3598

Cheers,

Old 01-03-2009, 07:04 PM
Grammostola Rosea

2) Remove the APT entries of step 1) from your /etc/apt/sources.list
and add these new repositories:

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy main restricted multiverse universe
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy-updates main restricted multiverse universe
deb http://apt.64studio.com/backports hardy-backports main
deb http://people.64studio.com/~free/64studio ./

Ubuntu repo's? I thought 64studio was based totally on Debian stable...??

Old 01-03-2009, 10:01 PM
Gustin Johnson