Old 12-24-2008, 05:35 PM
Free Ekanayaka

Default 64 Studio 3.0 Alpha - Christmas release

Hi,

here's a small Christmas gift for the 64 Studio community

As you all probably know Debian/lenny has been delayed and it is not
yet clear when it will be released (it was initially scheduled for
September 2008). Practically this means that we can't set any schedule
for a lenny-based 64 Studio 3.0.

So we decided to change a bit the plan and start working on an
Ubuntu/hardy-based 64 Studio 3.0, which is a platform we already
deploy for several projects and known to be stable.

For the braves of you here follows some instructions about how to
upgrade from 64 Studio 2.1 to the developing branch of 64 Studio
3.0. Please keep in mind that all this is still in alpha stage, but
should be already pretty usable.

Last but not least, please note that the procedure below has been
tested on the i386 version only. The amd64 version was not tested,
but reports are welcome.

Merry Christmas and happy testing to everybody.

Ciao!

Free

============= 2.1 -> 3.0alpha upgrade instructions =====================

0) You should have two APT sources files on your 2.1 install:

/etc/apt/sources.list
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/64studio.list

comment *ALL* entries you have in these two files, and in
the following steps use only the file:

/etc/apt/sources.list

1) Add

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
deb http://apt.64studio.com/backports etch-backports main

to your /etc/apt/sources.list and run:

apt-get update
apt-get install dpkg
apt-get remove firefox meterbridge

2) Remove the APT entries of step 1) from your /etc/apt/sources.list
and add these new repositories:

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy main restricted multiverse universe
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy-updates main restricted multiverse universe
deb http://apt.64studio.com/backports hardy-backports main
deb http://people.64studio.com/~free/64studio ./

Then run:

apt-get install ubuntu-keyring
apt-get install sysv-rc=2.86.ds1-14.1ubuntu45.64studio1~hardy1

3) Now run:

apt-get dist-upgrade

and choose the default answer to all questions.

4) Finally issue a:

reboot

from the terminal.

Old 12-25-2008, 05:00 PM
dave

Free Ekanayaka wrote:

[...]

Hi Free,

I hope you are having a good Christmas.
All the best to everyone for the new year. :-)

Clean installs of 64studio_2.1 and following your dist-upgrade
instructions, works fine here.

Once your dist-upgrade has completed and you have rebooted.

1) open a gnome-terminal & run

sudo mkdir /usr/share/backgrounds
sudo cp (your wallpaper) /usr/share/backgrounds

Your screensaver preferences menu will look for this backgrounds folder,
if it can't find it, the screensaver menu will play up.

2) limits.conf for jackd to use realtime settings.

sudo gedit /etc/security/limits.conf

Open limits.conf.dpkg-old from inside gedit and copy the 3 @audio
settings into the new limits.conf

You might have to reset your qjackctl settings for Realtime & your card.

The tests I have run have all been done from clean installs.
I have run the process quite a few times, all ok.
Great work :-)

Cheers!
dave.

Old 12-25-2008, 05:02 PM
Jaromír Mikeš

Hello,

I followed steps bellow and I get to troubles.

I get this output during step2:

W: GPG error: http://archive.ubuntu.com hardy Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 40976EAF437D05B5

W: GPG error: http://archive.ubuntu.com hardy-updates Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 40976EAF437D05B5

I did apt-get update again but same message again.

And after step3:

/var/cache/apt/archives/rtirq_20071012-0.64studio1~hardy1_all.deb

During step3 I lost my internet connection and I had to run apt-get dist-upgrade again

After reboot I have no sound, wifi , can't launch nearly any application including terminal.
My distro was echt-lenny mixed and I have i386 machine.

Cheers

Mira

< ------------ Původn* zpráva ------------
< here's a small Christmas gift for the 64 Studio community
<
< ================================================== ============================
< _______________________________________________
< 64studio-users mailing list
< 64studio-users@64studio.com
<
<
<

Old 12-25-2008, 05:39 PM
dave

Hi Mira,

Jarom*r Mikeš wrote:

Hello,

I followed steps bellow and I get to troubles.

I get this output during step2:

W: GPG error: http://archive.ubuntu.com hardy Release: The following
signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not
available: NO_PUBKEY 40976EAF437D05B5

W: GPG error: http://archive.ubuntu.com hardy-updates Release: The
following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is
not available: NO_PUBKEY 40976EAF437D05B5

You will need to import the keys.

gpg --keyserver wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net --recv-keys 40976EAF437D05B5
gpg --armor --export 40976EAF437D05B5 | sudo apt-key add -

Select and drop the above into your terminal as *root*

I did apt-get update again but same message again.
And after step3:

/var/cache/apt/archives/rtirq_20071012-0.64studio1~hardy1_all.deb

During step3 I lost my internet connection and I had to run apt-get
dist-upgrade again

After reboot I have no sound, wifi , can't launch nearly any
application including terminal.

My distro was echt-lenny mixed and I have i386 machine.

Cheers

Mira

I never saw these other errors, it could be because of the etch-lenny
mix? did you try

apt-get -f install

when my upgrade was complete I ended up with 2 packages held back.
It could be that your upgrade is uncompleted.

Cheers!
dave

< ------------ Původn* zpráva ------------
=====================

Old 12-25-2008, 05:58 PM
Jaromír Mikeš

Hi Dave

< gpg --keyserver wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net --recv-keys 40976EAF437D05B5

gpgkeys: key 40976EAF437D05B5 not found on keyserver
gpg: no valid OpenPGP datafound

:-(

Mira

< Hi Mira,
<
< Jarom*r Mikeš wrote:
<
< > Hello,

< >
< > I followed steps bellow and I get to troubles.
< >
< > I get this output during step2:
< >
< > W: GPG error: http://archive.ubuntu.com hardy Release: The following
< signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available:
< NO_PUBKEY 40976EAF437D05B5
< >
< > W: GPG error: http://archive.ubuntu.com hardy-updates Release: The following
< signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available:
< NO_PUBKEY 40976EAF437D05B5
< >
< > W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
< >
< >
<
< You will need to import the keys.
<
< gpg --keyserver wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net --recv-keys 40976EAF437D05B5

< gpg --armor --export 40976EAF437D05B5 | sudo apt-key add -
<
< Select and drop the above into your terminal as *root*
<
< > I did apt-get update again but same message again.
< >

< > And after step3:
< >
< > Errors were encountered while processing:
< > /var/cache/apt/archives/rtirq_20071012-0.64studio1~hardy1_all.deb
< > E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
< >
[...]

< > < Od: Free Ekanayaka <free@64studio.com>
< > < Předmět: [64studio-users] 64 Studio 3.0 Alpha - Christmas release
< > < Datum: 24.12.2008 19:46:36
< > < ----------------------------------------
< > < Hi,
< > <

< > < _______________________________________________
< > _______________________________________________

Old 12-25-2008, 06:14 PM
Jaromír Mikeš

Maybe I really should start from clean 2.1 64studio release?

< Hi Dave
<
< < gpg --keyserver wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net --recv-keys 40976EAF437D05B5
<
< gpgkeys: key 40976EAF437D05B5 not found on keyserver

< gpg: no valid OpenPGP datafound
<
< :-(
<
< Mira
<
< < Hi Mira,
< <
< < Jarom*r Mikeš wrote:
< <
< < > Hello,

< < >
[...]

< < > < ----------------------------------------
< < > < Hi,
< < > <
[...]

< =====================
< < > <

< < > < _______________________________________________
< < > _______________________________________________

Old 12-25-2008, 06:17 PM
dave

Jarom*r Mikeš wrote:

Hi Dave

< gpg --keyserver wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net --recv-keys 40976EAF437D05B5

gpgkeys: key 40976EAF437D05B5 not found on keyserver
gpg: no valid OpenPGP datafound

:-(

Mira

Hi Mira,

Very strange it's the one I used, and exactly the same as the one your
post is looking for.

NO_PUBKEY 40976EAF437D05B5
Is the internet working? does this run?

apt-get update

Then try for the keys again. It has to be as root.

gpg --keyserver wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net --recv-keys 40976EAF437D05B5
gpg --armor --export 40976EAF437D05B5 | sudo apt-key add -

Cheers!
dave.

< Hi Mira,
< < Jarom*r Mikeš wrote:
< < > Hello,
< >
[...]

< < > < >
< >
[...]

< > < <
< > < < > < < > < < >

Old 12-25-2008, 06:22 PM
dave

Jarom*r Mikeš wrote:

Maybe I really should start from clean 2.1 64studio release?

Hi Mira,

Yes, without doubt, 30 minutes to install, and an hour or two to complete.
Then you will know exactly what is going on. I am getting clean upgrade
paths all the time.

Cheers,
dave.

< Hi Dave
< < < gpg --keyserver wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net --recv-keys
40976EAF437D05B5

< < gpgkeys: key 40976EAF437D05B5 not found on keyserver
< gpg: no valid OpenPGP datafound
< < :-(
< < Mira
< < < Hi Mira,
< < < < Jarom*r Mikeš wrote:
< < < < > Hello,
< < >
[...]

< < < < > < < >
< < >
[...]

< < > < < < <
< < > < < < > < < < > < < < >
< < >
< < > < < < < < < < < <

Old 12-25-2008, 06:31 PM
Jaromír Mikeš

I am just going to start ... I will inform... ;-)

<
< > Maybe I really should start from clean 2.1 64studio release?
<
< Hi Mira,
<
< Yes, without doubt, 30 minutes to install, and an hour or two to complete.
< Then you will know exactly what is going on. I am getting clean upgrade
< paths all the time.
<
< Cheers,

< dave.
<
< >

< >
< >
< > < Hi Dave
< > < < < gpg --keyserver wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net --recv-keys
< > 40976EAF437D05B5

< > < < gpgkeys: key 40976EAF437D05B5 not found on keyserver
< > < gpg: no valid OpenPGP datafound
< > < < :-(
< > < < Mira
< > < < < Hi Mira,
[...]

[...]