Old 12-28-2008, 02:00 PM
dave

Default 64 Studio 3.0 Alpha - Christmas release

dave wrote:

Free Ekanayaka wrote:

Hi,

here's a small Christmas gift for the 64 Studio community

As you all probably know Debian/lenny has been delayed and it is not
yet clear when it will be released (it was initially scheduled for
September 2008). Practically this means that we can't set any schedule
for a lenny-based 64 Studio 3.0.

So we decided to change a bit the plan and start working on an
Ubuntu/hardy-based 64 Studio 3.0, which is a platform we already
deploy for several projects and known to be stable.

For the braves of you here follows some instructions about how to
upgrade from 64 Studio 2.1 to the developing branch of 64 Studio
3.0. Please keep in mind that all this is still in alpha stage, but
should be already pretty usable.

Last but not least, please note that the procedure below has been
tested on the i386 version only. The amd64 version was not tested,
but reports are welcome.

Merry Christmas and happy testing to everybody.

Ciao!

Free

============= 2.1 -> 3.0alpha upgrade instructions =====================

0) You should have two APT sources files on your 2.1 install:

/etc/apt/sources.list
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/64studio.list

comment *ALL* entries you have in these two files, and in
the following steps use only the file:

/etc/apt/sources.list

1) Add

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
deb http://apt.64studio.com/backports etch-backports main

to your /etc/apt/sources.list and run:

apt-get update
apt-get install dpkg
apt-get remove firefox meterbridge

2) Remove the APT entries of step 1) from your /etc/apt/sources.list
and add these new repositories:

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy main restricted multiverse
universe
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy-updates main restricted
multiverse universe

deb http://apt.64studio.com/backports hardy-backports main
deb http://people.64studio.com/~free/64studio ./

Then run:

apt-get install ubuntu-keyring
apt-get install sysv-rc=2.86.ds1-14.1ubuntu45.64studio1~hardy1

3) Now run:

apt-get dist-upgrade

and choose the default answer to all questions.

4) Finally issue a:

reboot

from the terminal.

Hi Free,

I hope you are having a good Christmas.
All the best to everyone for the new year. :-)

Clean installs of 64studio_2.1 and following your dist-upgrade
instructions, works fine here.

Once your dist-upgrade has completed and you have rebooted.

1) open a gnome-terminal & run

sudo mkdir /usr/share/backgrounds
sudo cp (your wallpaper) /usr/share/backgrounds

Your screensaver preferences menu will look for this backgrounds folder,
if it can't find it, the screensaver menu will play up.

2) limits.conf for jackd to use realtime settings.

sudo gedit /etc/security/limits.conf

Open limits.conf.dpkg-old from inside gedit and copy the 3 @audio
settings into the new limits.conf

You might have to reset your qjackctl settings for Realtime & your card.

The tests I have run have all been done from clean installs.
I have run the process quite a few times, all ok.
Great work :-)

081228)

Took the dist-upgrade for another test run today.
Reinstalled 64studio_2.1 and ran the test again.

Nice clean upgrade path.

Cheers!
dave.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:52 PM
dave

Dave Phillips wrote:

Gustin Johnson wrote:

Actually all you you have to do is type:
source .bashrc

Logging out is for chumps and lesser OSs

Actually all you have to do is this:

. .bashrc

The first dot is effectively the same as 'source'. Excessive typing is
for people with too much time on their hands.

Looking forward to testing the alpha 3.0 here soon...

Best,

dp

Hi Dave,

Thanks, great tip, it's saving me a lot of time.
I have set up a partition just for this new alpha release, and have done
quite a few runs of the dist-upgrade.
There are new packages available each day, and its been interesting to
see the results of each test.
I don't have enough experience to know how well all the software is
behaving,

but as far as I can tell the software I do use is working ok.
I am looking forward to reading how the alpha 3.0 test is for you.

All the best for the new year :-)

Cheers,
dave.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:30 PM
Quentin Harley

Free Ekanayaka wrote:

Hi,

here's a small Christmas gift for the 64 Studio community

Hi Free,

Tested on 64bit (with Dave's extra tweaks) and it works fine... Just
need a couple of package tweaks IMHO

1. 64studio package needs some modified dependencies
* Ubuntu uses Firefox and Thunderbird - both uninstallable
without losing the 64 Studio package. Iceweasel is only at
version 2.
* Meterbridge is not installable
2. Jackd is not available? jackmp dummy? Latest 0.116 or higher
would be nice as an option
3. 64 Studio boot splash screen is immobile - Time for a new one that
gives more information while booting, ie. hard drive checking
indicated
4. Ubuntu takes over the gnome "Foot" icon. Is it possible to have a
"64 Studio" icon (for instance the big 64) in it's place
5. The Gnome menu is in a bit of a state after the upgrade... 64
Studio style clean menu possible?

Thanks for the efforts

PS: To get you codecs back you have to install
"ubuntu-restricted-packages". You will then be able to play XVID, DIVX etc.

Quentin

Old 12-31-2008, 06:44 PM
Quentin Harley

Free Ekanayaka wrote:

Merry Christmas and happy testing to everybody.

One failure report so far...

http://www.64studio.com/node/877#comment-3598

Cheers,

Old 01-01-2009, 05:35 PM
Free Ekanayaka

Hi Quentin,

|--==> On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 00:30:22 +0200, Quentin Harley <quentin@64studio.com> said:

QH> Free Ekanayaka wrote:
>>Hi,
>>
>>here's a small Christmas gift for the 64 Studio community
>>

QH> Hi Free,

QH> Tested on 64bit (with Dave's extra tweaks) and it works fine... Just
QH> need a couple of package tweaks IMHO

QH> 1. 64studio package needs some modified dependencies
QH> * Ubuntu uses Firefox and Thunderbird - both uninstallable
QH> without losing the 64 Studio package. Iceweasel is only at
QH> version 2.
QH> * Meterbridge is not installable

This should be fixed now.

QH> 2. Jackd is not available? jackmp dummy? Latest 0.116 or higher
QH> would be nice as an option

That's weird, you should have the 1.8+0.71-0.64studio2 version.

QH> 3. 64 Studio boot splash screen is immobile - Time for a new one that
QH> gives more information while booting, ie. hard drive checking
QH> indicated

Yes, we will switch to usplash.

QH> 4. Ubuntu takes over the gnome "Foot" icon. Is it possible to have a
QH> "64 Studio" icon (for instance the big 64) in it's place

Known issue, alternative icons are welcome

QH> 5. The Gnome menu is in a bit of a state after the upgrade... 64
QH> Studio style clean menu possible?

Of course, the plan is to iron out all system/application bugs first
and then refine the look & feel.

Ciao!

Free

Old 01-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Thank you for the work and interesting news .

Happy New Year!
Ralf

Old 01-01-2009, 08:44 PM
Ralf Mardorf

> Actually all you have to do is this:
>
> . .bashrc
>
> The first dot is effectively the same as 'source'.

Hi

for people like me, that didn't know about the command "source", it's
good to know about the ".", but also to get the information that "." is
the same as "source". Often it's easier to google for a word.

Happy New Year!
Ralf