Old 12-26-2008, 09:04 PM
Jarom√≠r MikeŇ°

Default 64 Studio 3.0 Alpha - Christmas release

< ----------------------------------------
< Jarom√*r MikeŇ° wrote:
< > <snip>
< > #kernel.maps_protect =1
< > #vm.mmap_min_addr = 65536
< >
< These lines are commented out so they do nothing.
<

Sorry for confusing ... they was not commented out after fresh install.
I did it after Dave's advice.
(copy/paste from my repaired /etc/sysctl.conf)

M.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:07 AM
dave

Jarom√*r MikeŇ° wrote:

< ----------------------------------------
< Jarom√*r MikeŇ° wrote:
< > <snip>
< > #kernel.maps_protect =1
< > #vm.mmap_min_addr = 65536
< >
< These lines are commented out so they do nothing.
<

Sorry for confusing ... they was not commented out after fresh install.
I did it after Dave's advice.
(copy/paste from my repaired /etc/sysctl.conf)

M.

Hi Mira,

The original 64studio file, does not have these entries, the upgrade
adds them.
There is no option to keep the original fie during the upgrade so you
have to edit it on completion

of the upgrade. The other kernel error messages are kernel related.
There will probably be other changes we will find on the way.
The upgrades seem fine here, I've run a few more now.

This is a bit off topic, but if you want to keep an eye on what you have
already done to the new upgrade.

add these entries to your .bashrc

$ gedit .bashrc

export HISTSIZE=1000000 HISTFILESIZE=1000000

And at the bottom of the file in the alias section add

alias h="history | grep "

Now you can search your history file in the gnome-terminal by running

$ h sudo
$ h cp
$ h ls -a

Cheers!
dave.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:26 AM
dave

dave wrote:

Jarom√*r MikeŇ° wrote:

< ----------------------------------------
< Jarom√*r MikeŇ° wrote:
[...]

PS:

You will have to log out and back in to the desktop for the .bashrc
changes to work.

Cheers!
dave.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:08 AM
Gustin Johnson

dave wrote:
> dave wrote:
>
>> Jarom√*r MikeŇ° wrote:
>>> < ----------------------------------------
>>> < Jarom√*r MikeŇ° wrote:
>>> < > <snip>
>>> < > #kernel.maps_protect =1
>>> < > #vm.mmap_min_addr = 65536
>>> < > < These lines are commented out so they do nothing.
>>> < Sorry for confusing ... they was not commented out after fresh
>>> install.
>>> I did it after Dave's advice.
>>> (copy/paste from my repaired /etc/sysctl.conf)
>>>
>>> M.
>>> 64studio-users mailing list
>>> 64studio-users@64studio.com
>>>

>> Hi Mira,
>>
>> The original 64studio file, does not have these entries, the upgrade
>> adds them.
>> There is no option to keep the original fie during the upgrade so you
>> have to edit it on completion
>> of the upgrade. The other kernel error messages are kernel related.
>> There will probably be other changes we will find on the way.
>> The upgrades seem fine here, I've run a few more now.
>>
>> This is a bit off topic, but if you want to keep an eye on what you
>> have already done to the new upgrade.
>> add these entries to your .bashrc
>>
>> $ gedit .bashrc
>>
>> export HISTSIZE=1000000 HISTFILESIZE=1000000
>>
>> And at the bottom of the file in the alias section add
>>
>> alias h="history | grep "
>>
>> Now you can search your history file in the gnome-terminal by running
>>
>> $ h sudo
>> $ h cp
>> $ h ls -a
>>

> PS:
>
> You will have to log out and back in to the desktop for the .bashrc
> changes to work.

Actually all you you have to do is type:
source .bashrc

Logging out is for chumps and lesser OSs

Old 12-27-2008, 11:42 AM
dave

Gustin Johnson wrote:

dave wrote:

dave wrote:

Jarom√*r MikeŇ° wrote:

< ----------------------------------------
< Jarom√*r MikeŇ° wrote:
[...]

Hi Gustin,

Thanks, I didn't know that,

All the best for the new year :-)

Cheers,
dave.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:55 AM
Jarom√≠r MikeŇ°

< >> < > <snip>
< >> < > #kernel.maps_protect =1
< >> < > #vm.mmap_min_addr = 65536
< >> < > < These lines are commented out so they do nothing.
< >> <
< >> Sorry for confusing ... they was not commented out after fresh install.

< >> I did it after Dave's advice.
< >> (copy/paste from my repaired /etc/sysctl.conf)
< >>
< >> M.
< >> _______________________________________________
[...]

Hi Dave,

thanks for good tip :-)
I am now trying to get work "Shared Folders" here and I can't find System>Administration>Shared Folders item on new installation.
Can you check it on your newly installed systems if it is just my problem pls?
I also tried to run it from terminal:

64studio:/home/mira# gksu shares-admin

** (shares-admin:9168): CRITICAL **: Cannot create session bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

(shares-admin:9168): Gtk-WARNING **: Unknown property: GtkComboBox.items

[WARN 9168] kit-hash.c:206:kit_hash_insert(): key != NULL
Not built with -rdynamic so unable to print a backtrace

Maybe it is broken :-(

Cheers

Mira

Old 12-27-2008, 12:00 PM
Dave Phillips

Gustin Johnson wrote:

Actually all you you have to do is type:
source .bashrc

Logging out is for chumps and lesser OSs

Actually all you have to do is this:

. .bashrc

The first dot is effectively the same as 'source'. Excessive typing is
for people with too much time on their hands.

Looking forward to testing the alpha 3.0 here soon...

Best,

dp

Old 12-27-2008, 12:36 PM
dave

Jarom√*r MikeŇ° wrote:

< >> < > <snip>
< >> < > #kernel.maps_protect =1
< >> < > #vm.mmap_min_addr = 65536
< >> < > < These lines are commented out so they do nothing.
< >> < < >> Sorry for confusing ... they was not commented out after
fresh install.

< >> I did it after Dave's advice.
< >> (copy/paste from my repaired /etc/sysctl.conf)
< >>
< >> M.
< >> _______________________________________________
< >> 64studio-users mailing list
< >> 64studio-users@64studio.com
< >>
< >> < >
< > Hi Mira,
< >
[...]

I don't use this so I'm not sure about a fix, as a test I tried running,

$ gksu shares-admin

and got these warnings,

(shares-admin:3471): Gtk-WARNING **: Unknown property: GtkComboBox.items
** (shares-admin:3313): CRITICAL **: Unable to lookup session
information for process '3313'

Then a Shared Folders menu has opens on my desktop?
It has three Tabs. The unlock selector is greyed out, so I can't change
any settings?

Also when I ran a checked in my /home/user directory I got found that
.dbus & .rnd directory

belonged to root?

Cheers,
dave.

Old 12-27-2008, 01:19 PM
dave

dave wrote:

Jarom√*r MikeŇ° wrote:

[...]

.dbus & .rnd belonged to root?

# gksu shares-admin

Running as root gives error messages the same as yours, I still get a
gui menu,

but now I can edit the settings in the menu.

Cheers,
dave.

Old 12-28-2008, 12:35 AM
Gustin Johnson

Dave Phillips wrote:
> Gustin Johnson wrote:
>> Actually all you you have to do is type:
>> source .bashrc
>>
>> Logging out is for chumps and lesser OSs
>>

> Actually all you have to do is this:
>
> . .bashrc
>
> The first dot is effectively the same as 'source'. Excessive typing is
> for people with too much time on their hands.

Learn something new everyday.

> Looking forward to testing the alpha 3.0 here soon...

Now that I have little more time on my hands I can say me too