Old 12-19-2008, 12:09 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default 32bit install without PPPoE might be fine

Just a suspicion.

Someone is using an Envy24 rev2 card on 64bit hardware too.
He also get jackd timeouts, he also never got with 32bit hardware.
He wasn't sure if he tested 32bit liveCD, but he thought that he used a
32bit liveCD, now he again tested a liveCD.

I suspect that liveCDs are often i386 and often the internet isn't used,
when a liveCD is tested.

I'm still testing an 64 Studio 2.1 32bit install on my 64bit hardware,
see the jack-devel lists reply below (I only changed one typo):

Subject: Re: [Jack-Devel] more testers wanted

jack-devel@lists.jackaudio.org

>> Well anyway, I'll try someday with 64bit system and get back.
>
> Tried with sidux (debian unstable livecd) and it worked. So the finger
> is now pointing at ubuntu. Case closed.
>
> Tommi

Maybe the case isn't closed, because this might has to do with this:

Timeout because of an internet connection?

No timeout, when there isn't an internet connection?

Hi Tommi

I tested my 64bit hardware with 64 Studio 2.1 32bit, until now with a
less hard scenario, were also 64 Studio 2.1 64bit and Suse 11.0 64bit
can be fine, so it might be that I just had good luck, but maybe 32bit
is stable. Anyway, I started the test at 04:32 12-18-2008 and ended at
01:52 12-19-2008. This are around 21 hours without a jackd timeout. I
run QjackCtl since 05:36 and I got 3 xruns in about 20 hours.
Maybe my hardware is fine with 32bit installs, but there also is another
difference. All my 64bit installs use PPPoE to use DSL, the 32bit
install has got no internet settings. I'm thinking about this, because
it might be, that with the tested liveCDs, you maybe don't use the
internet too, but maybe you are connected to the internet for your
installs, were you get the timeout.

I'm going to make a hard test with my 32bit install, were definitive a
64bit install running on my hardware crashes, or stops, because of a
timeout. A hard test means to run Rosegarden with several
Fluidsynth-DSSIs and doing some MIDI recordings and changing sounds for
the Fluidsynth-DSSI, this is less of what I need to produce, but enough
to get problems with my 64bit installs.

Cheers,
Ralf

--
A temporary signature .

I'm still taking a breather and didn't read all replies. I will read
them, but not reply.

Just a note.

It doesn't annoy me that I try to get a Linux audio and MIDI workstation
since end 2003, beginning 2004.
It annoys me, that if I reported something like the broken Suse JACK
package, the package builder said, that the package isn't broken, I
don't know enough about Linux and that's why JACK is broken. If
something like that would happen seldom, than also this wouldn't annoy
me, but this wasn't a exceptional case. Often something is broken and
instead of testing it, people affirm that the broken thing isn't broken.
Cross posting isn't all the time the job of a troll, sometimes it's
needed to inform the left hand, about what the right hand does. I'm,
missing that for Linux.

I'm sorry if I annoyed anybody.

I'm a Linux only user and that's why I'm sad about those issues and why
I boiled over.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:32 PM
Gustin Johnson

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Just a suspicion.
>
> Someone is using an Envy24 rev2 card on 64bit hardware too.
> He also get jackd timeouts, he also never got with 32bit hardware.
> He wasn't sure if he tested 32bit liveCD, but he thought that he used a
> 32bit liveCD, now he again tested a liveCD.

Without more info I have no idea what the problem could be. Also, are
we talking about 64Studio or some other 64 bit distro?

> I suspect that liveCDs are often i386 and often the internet isn't used,
> when a liveCD is tested.

Network manager has been a problem on Ubuntu (check the Ubuntu Studio
mailing list archive for details). It is usually a good idea to disable
network manager while using jack.

Old 12-20-2008, 03:29 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Hi Gustin

>> Just a suspicion.
>>
>> Someone is using an Envy24 rev2 card on 64bit hardware too.
>> He also get jackd timeouts, he also never got with 32bit hardware.
>> He wasn't sure if he tested 32bit liveCD, but he thought that he used a
>> 32bit liveCD, now he again tested a liveCD.
>>

> Without more info I have no idea what the problem could be. Also, are
> we talking about 64Studio or some other 64 bit distro?

In my case we are talking about 64 Studio 2.1 64bit and Suse 11.0 64bit.

>> I suspect that liveCDs are often i386 and often the internet isn't used,
>> when a liveCD is tested.
>>

> Network manager has been a problem on Ubuntu (check the Ubuntu Studio
> mailing list archive for details). It is usually a good idea to disable
> network manager while using jack.

I still have to do a harder test for the 32bit install. When the 64
Studio 2.1 32bit install was fine, NetworkManager was running, but I
didn't use PPPoE, so there was a connection from my on-board fast
ethernet device to the ADSL modem, but no data exchange with the internet.

Can't see it now, but I guess the NetworkManager is available in the
GNOM panel and I can stop it there?

Or have I to run

# pidof NetworkManager
# kill [...]

or

# killall NetworkManager

Hm, searching the Ubuntu archives isn't fun, before I go on with
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2008-December/subject.html
and others, I'll kill the NetworkManager.

If the 32bit install really is fine, I'll test the 64bit install of 64
Studio with a killed NetworkManager.

Thanx,
Ralf

Old 12-21-2008, 11:13 AM
Gustin Johnson

Old 12-21-2008, 01:53 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Gustin Johnson wrote:
> Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > Hi Gustin

> used a
> >>>
> >> Without more info I have no idea what the problem could be. Also, are
> >> we talking about 64Studio or some other 64 bit distro?
> >>
> > In my case we are talking about 64 Studio 2.1 64bit and Suse 11.0 64bit.
>
> Then why are we talking about some phantom "someone"? If he is using
> 64Studio then he can post himself.

Hi Gustin

I compared his trouble and my trouble, because we've got the same
problem and so I get aware that he and I have some hardware in common
and maybe also some coherences too.

Maybe independent of the Linux we run, to be not connected to the
internet or not to use the NetworkManager, might solve our problems.

Without doing comparisons I wouldn't have noticed that. Nobody ever
thought about that this might cause the troubles. Maybe it won't solve
them by killing the NetworkManager, anyway, I didn't asked anything for
a phantom someone, but I did comparison to figure out problems and
wanted other people to inform about this. There are a lot of people with
Envy24 cards having the same troubles. It seems not to be the mobo.

I can stop sending any mails to you, you don't need to block all Alice
users:

Diagnostic-Code: smtp;451-Could not complete recipient verify callout for <gustin@echostar.ca>.
451-The mail server(s) for the domain may be temporarily unreachable, or
451-they may be permanently unreachable from this server. In the latter case,
451 the address will never be accepted.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 12-21-2008, 02:28 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Hi

64studio:/home/spinymouse# lspci | grep Ethernet
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 01)

Is anybody using 64 Studio 2.1 64bit or 32bit with the same Ethernet
controller and an Envy24 rev02 card and having or not having any
troubles FOR AUDIO?

I try to narrow down or rule out things, that might cause problems.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 12-21-2008, 02:49 PM
Ralf Mardorf

PS:

spinymouse@64studio:~$ lspci -v | grep IRQ
Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 22
Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 16
Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 17
Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 18
Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 17
Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 18
Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 19
Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 16

02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 01)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 81aa
I/O ports at ee00 [size=256]
Memory at fdfff000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
[virtual] Expansion ROM at fdc00000 [disabled] [size=128K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: r8169
Kernel modules: r8169

03:05.0 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies Inc. ICE1712
[Envy24] PCI Multi-Channel I/O Controller (rev 02)
Subsystem: TERRATEC Electronic GmbH Device 1130
I/O ports at cf00 [size=32]
I/O ports at ce00 [size=16]
I/O ports at cd00 [size=16]
I/O ports at cc00 [size=64]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: ICE1712
Kernel modules: snd-ice1712

For one of my 64 Studio installs the IRQ for the sound card isn't
shared. I still have to google to get information about the latency and
RT priority. And as I have written, it's just a suspicion to take care
about the network, because jackd seems to cause the troubles.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:53 PM
Ralf Mardorf

PPS:

"For one of my 64 Studio installs the IRQ for the sound card isn't shared."

I can't say how it's for the other 64 Studio 2.1 installs and other
Linux installs right now. Are the IRQs with each start up the same?

Old 12-21-2008, 03:28 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Maybe I'm on a bad track with supposing that it has to do with the
network. I'll go on with the check up of the 32bit install, instead of
searching the web for more information about network and jackd.

One of the other guys using Envy24 rev02 based sound devices, having the
same trouble, using another distro is now fine, even with internet
connection, see the message below. Hm, I haven't asked if he is using an
USB modem, but I guess most people will use some kind of Ethernet
connection to the Internet, most without dial up and some like me, by
using PPPoE.

>> Timeout because of an internet connection?
>
> There was connection, I upgraded jackd just before trying it.

Thank you

so I might be on the bad track :S. I hoped there will be a coherence for

02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
Kernel modules: r8169

03:05.0 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies Inc. ICE1712
[Envy24] PCI Multi-Channel I/O Controller (rev 02)
Kernel modules: snd-ice1712

and jackd timeouts.

Instead of searching Google for more information about this (thank you again, that you informed me), I'll go on with testing, if the 32bit install will work better, than my 64bit installs, anyway, I will kill NetworkManager before doing this.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 12-21-2008, 09:22 PM
Gustin Johnson

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Gustin Johnson wrote:
>> Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>>> Hi Gustin

>> used a

>>> In my case we are talking about 64 Studio 2.1 64bit and Suse 11.0
>>> 64bit.
>> Then why are we talking about some phantom "someone"? If he is
>> using 64Studio then he can post himself.
>
> Hi Gustin
>
> I compared his trouble and my trouble, because we've got the same
> problem and so I get aware that he and I have some hardware in common
> and maybe also some coherences too.
>
> Maybe independent of the Linux we run, to be not connected to the
> internet or not to use the NetworkManager, might solve our problems.

All I was trying to say was there was no useful information. Things
like the version of jack, the kernel version (this is where the
distribution is important as many distros like Red Hat and SuSe heavily
patch their kernels). There are a lot of details that are important in
tracking down these issues that we not provided. Someone else having a
problem might actually be a coincidence. With the details there is no
way to tell.

> Without doing comparisons I wouldn't have noticed that. Nobody ever
> thought about that this might cause the troubles. Maybe it won't
> solve them by killing the NetworkManager, anyway, I didn't asked
> anything for a phantom someone, but I did comparison to figure out
> problems and wanted other people to inform about this. There are a
> lot of people with Envy24 cards having the same troubles. It seems
> not to be the mobo.

> I can stop sending any mails to you, you don't need to block all
> Alice users:
>
> Diagnostic-Code: smtp;451-Could not complete recipient verify callout
> for <gustin@echostar.ca>. 451-The mail server(s) for the domain may
> be temporarily unreachable, or 451-they may be permanently
> unreachable from this server. In the latter case, 451 the address
> will never be accepted.

There was a problem at the co-lo facility where my mail server resides
so my mail server was offline for the better part of a day. One of the
few downsides to completely managing one's own email.

Messages to me should be CC'd to the list at the very least so that they
can be archived. Hopefully in this way they can benefit someone else in
the future.