Old 12-02-2008, 05:16 PM
Malcolm Smith

Default Install report / sysv-rc-bootsplash requires sysv-rc

Hi dudes,

(-: Long-time lurker coming out into the sunshine :-)

I'll cut a long story short... (apologies for long post, but this has
taken me three years!) This week I've successfully upgraded from an
obsolete Agnula DeMuDi 1.2(!), because:
(a) it's olde, and
(b) my soundcard (RME HDSP Digiface) needs hdspmixer which I'd never
installed way back in the day when I installed DeMuDi (I never
got round to getting sound fully working with digital I/O).
(c) 64 Studio rocks

http://www.thesmith.org.uk/words/journal/2005-06.html#installdemudi
http://web.archive.org/web/20060506024736/http://demudi.agnula.org/wiki/DocumentsFaq#Upgradingexistinginstallations

I started by following instructions to go from Debian Sarge (DeMuDi was
based on Sarge) to Etch:

http://wiki.debian.org/Sarge2EtchUpgrade

That worked, with a strange twist putting me back in time to 2005.
Googling to try and fix my GRUB bootsplash garbled text hit me with...

http://osdir.com/ml/agnula.general/2004-09/msg00280.html

...my own posts to the list, albeit with my name obscured by ads, so
it took me a while to realise. Anyway, I fixed that by (almost blindly)
editing the /boot/grub/menu.lst (!).

Then I removed most of the packages relating to X and GUI apps, to save
downloading time. The goal was to just have a bare-bones Debian from
which to upgrade to 64 Studio. Since my 700MHz Pentium III's BIOS is so
lame as to not be capable of booting from CDROM (let alone DVD if I
had one), I can't risk making the machine non-bootable/non-networkable
otherwise I'd have to resort to floppy disk install (which I'm not
sure is even possible any longer, and never fun).

So I manually took out every package by reading the descriptions and
purging anything non-vital. I later discovered that installing 64studio
automagically installs lotsa goodies, which is cool, but not my goal
for a low-end workstation. Ah well :-) I learned loads in the process,
although not so much that Free and Daniel will be out of a job ;-)

After going from Sarge to Etch, I did this:

http://www.uk.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html
4.8 Preparing for the next release
- Move any configuration options from /etc/network/options to
/etc/sysctl.conf Please see /usr/share/doc/netbase/README.Debian :
"This file is deprecated, and if present should be replaced by
values in /etc/sysctl.conf or equivalent custom scripts.
The relevant sysctl values are:
ip_forward=yes: net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
spoofprotect=yes: net.ipv4.conf.default.rp_filter = 1
net.ipv4.conf.all.rp_filter = 1
syncookies=yes: net.ipv4.tcp_syncookies = 1
+++++++++++++++++ Syntax better explained here: ++++++++++++++++
http://www.debianhelp.org/node/12038
# ip_forward=no
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 0
# spoofprotect=yes
net.ipv4.conf.default.rp_filter = 1
net.ipv4.conf.all.rp_filter = 1
# syncookies=no
net.ipv4.tcp_syncookies = 0

[BTW, should this also be done when moving from 64 Studio 2.x to 3.0?
If so, could it be automated, or at least explained better than
the Debian docs - this took me lots of STFW to figure out.]

- Remove obsolete and unused packages as described in Obsolete packages,
Section 4.10. You should review which configuration files they use
and consider purging the packages to remove their configuration files

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-helpers.en.html#s-localepurge

Next I did this:

http://www.64studio.com/faq_user
7. Is it possible to upgrade from a plain Debian Etch install to 64 Studio?

Yes, by changing your apt sources to the 64 Studio stable or testing
branches - see the upgrade page for details. You'll also need to import
the 64 Studio key into your keyring:

wget -q -O - http://trac.64studio.com/64studio/browser/64studio/trunk/apt/key?format=raw|apt-key add -

Useful
http://wiki.debian.org/SecureApt

Debian to 64 Studio
http://www.64studio.com/node/116
> Starting from an Etch install, this should work:
>
> echo deb http://apt.64studio.com/64studio/stable 64studio main >> /etc/apt/sources.list
> apt-get update
> apt-get install 64studio
> 64studio-upgrade

Looking at the script /usr/sbin/64studio-upgrade, I see how simple it
is (see below). Before running that, I manually typed in an
/etc/apt/preferences file to prioritise correctly, with a little help:

http://lists.64studio.com/pipermail/64studio-devel/2007-May/004164.html
Tim Hall wrote:
And my (autogenerated by the install) /etc/apt/preferences file contains:

>> Package: *
>> Pin: release l=Debian
>> Pin-Priority: 501
>>
>> Package: *
>> Pin: release l=Debian-Security
>> Pin-Priority: 1001
>>
>> Package: *
>> Pin: release o=64Studio
>> Pin-Priority: 1001

I found it simpler to use Pin: origin "apt.64studio.com"
(or whatever mirror).

> You may have also to add your user to these groups in /etc/group:
>
> disk camera scanner stb-admin adm

I had to create some of those groups (with addgroup).

Then, examining the aforementioned script:
# cat /usr/sbin/64studio-upgrade
apt-get update
apt-get -y dist-upgrade
apt-get install ~t^cdd

Since I use aptitude and I've read to not mix apt-get and aptitude
(to preserve aptitude's knowledge of which packages are automatically
installed), I decided to just run the commands manually. I RTFM to
understand what the tilde does :-)

I'm pretty sure my /etc/apt/preferences file is correct now (because
it wasn't for a long time yesterday due to syntax/PEBKAC error). And
I changed my /etc/apt/sources.list to an empty file, now replaced by
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/64studio.list with entries that correspond to
the preferences file.

After the dist-upgrade, the last command pulls in 500MB of packages
but gives a dependency error:

sysv-rc-bootsplash: Depends sysv-rc ( = 2.86.ds1-38 ) but
sysv-rc-2.86.ds1-38+etchnhalf.1 is installed.

[BTW, I've read all the earlier bug reports about sysv-rc-bootsplash,
and this not unrelated.]
Reading up about sysv-rc gets me worried about messing up the boot
process and making the machine unbootable=unusable for me. Argh, I seem
to be plagued by splashscreen problems! I'd much rather have a simple
working bootup than unreadable console text or a fancy-coloured BSOD,
but I do understand that we have to cater for eye candy lovers! Is it
possible to turn off the splash and just have proper messages, using:

splash=nosplash in GRUB menu
http://www.mail-archive.com/64studio-devel@64studio.com/msg01294.html

While installing Etch, I chose linux-image-2.6-686-etchnhalf thinking
it would be better/safer/easier. I'm not seeing any new kernel being
pulled in from 64 Studio, so perhaps that is VERY BAD. I just have
linux-image-2.6.24-etchnhalf.1-686 and I don't even know yet if that
will boot.

I've left the machine fetching all the packages (--download-only) and
hope that someone here can let me know tonight/tomorrow as I have to go
away on business soon and I'm scared to switch this machine off in case
it never wakes up (and I'm more scared by the frequent powercuts we get
here (yes, I have a UPS, and will eventually install NUT )

http://www.64studio.com/upgrade
> If you have a previous version of 64 Studio installed, please make sure
> your repository (in the file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/64studio.list )
> has been updated to the UK mirror:
>
> deb http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/64studio.com/apt/ 64studio main

Could this be automated by the 64studio-upgrade script using apt-spy?

Anyway, thanks for reading, and more importantly, thanks for all of
the 64 Studio community and developers...

Cheers
--
Malcolm Smith
http://www.thesmith.org.uk/

Old 12-03-2008, 05:38 PM
Malcolm Smith

On Wed, Dec 03, 2008 at 11:09:40AM +0000, Daniel James wrote:
> Hi Malcolm,
>
> >While installing Etch, I chose linux-image-2.6-686-etchnhalf thinking
> >it would be better/safer/easier.
>
> Hmmm, that isn't one of our kernels :-)

:-)

> My instinct would be to make a full backup of your audio data

There's no data of value on this system (I never got it going properly).

> Also, I'd be inclined to put the HDSP card in a newer
> motherboard/CPU/RAM combination, and do a clean install of 64 Studio
> 2.1. Reusing very old hardware can be fun, but it can also be a false
> economy.

You're right: trying to do serious work on a computer less powerful than
some phones is suboptimal. I'm saving pennies now...

The good news is...
OMG! It worked. sysv-rc didn't mind being downgraded.
I can now boot into Gnome :-) I've no time to try audio apps yet.

The bad news...
I have to go away working for a few days :-/

Cloud Nine
--
Malcolm Smith
http://www.thesmith.org.uk/