Old 11-24-2008, 07:07 PM
guerrier

Default External USB HD HFS+

Hello

I think you might have a hfs+ journaled problem. Here is the solution
I used (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=898289).

guerrier

Old 11-24-2008, 07:32 PM
Ralf Mardorf

guerrier wrote:
> Hello
>
> I think you might have a hfs+ journaled problem. Here is the solution
> I used (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=898289).
>
> guerrier
>

> On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 4:58 PM, Jarom√*r MikeŇ° <mira.mikes@seznam.cz> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I can't write on external usb hard disk with HFS+ file system.
>> Can somebody advice me which package install to get it works pls?
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> M.

Does anybody know how to disable journaling without reformating? Maybe
Jarom√*r needs this information. "Gentoo-Wiki recently had it's database
lost" and there is a link about this issue to the Gentoo-Wiki. Thanks to
Guerrier, it should be solved than, the journaling seems to be the clue.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:50 PM
guerrier

If you have access to a Mac, the command in Terminal is
diskutil disableJournal /dev/BLAHBLAH

I am not sure one can do this while on linux.

guerrier

Old 11-24-2008, 07:58 PM
Ralf Mardorf

guerrier wrote:
> If you have access to a Mac, the command in Terminal is
> diskutil disableJournal /dev/BLAHBLAH
>
> I am not sure one can do this while on linux.

If JaromŪr don't have access to a Mac, he should think about doing a
data backup, reformat to ext3 and restore the data .

Old 11-24-2008, 08:39 PM
Jarom√≠r MikeŇ°

Hello Ralf, Guerrier

Thanks for trying help. It really seems that I've met issue with journalling...
It would be nice to solve this for all future cases which will surely come.
I was goggling heavily without success.

M.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:53 PM
Jarom√≠r MikeŇ°

< Hello Ralf, Guerrier
<
< Thanks for trying help. It really seems that I've met issue with journalling...
< It would be nice to solve this for all future cases which will surely come.
< I was goggling heavily without success.
<
< M.

(http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=898289)

Of course reformating is not a solution ... :-(
It is not my disk and it is full of data ...

Old 11-24-2008, 09:52 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Jarom√*r MikeŇ° wrote:
> < Hello Ralf, Guerrier
> <
> < Thanks for trying help. It really seems that I've met issue with journalling...
> < It would be nice to solve this for all future cases which will surely come.
> < I was goggling heavily without success.
> <
> < M.
>
> (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=898289)
>
> Of course reformating is not a solution ... :-(
> It is not my disk and it is full of data ...

Résumé: You don't have access to a Mac. You can't reformat the device,
because it's borrowed.

But you might be allowed to un-journal the file system?! If so, you can
try to run a Mac emulation on your Linux.

http://pearpc.sourceforge.net/about.html

Old 11-24-2008, 11:02 PM
Jarom√≠r MikeŇ°

Hello,

your resume is right ... I have no regular access to Mac and un-journalling would be solution not reformating.

Mac emulation is not solution for me because I don't want buy Mac OS X
http://pearpc.sourceforge.net/installmacos.html

I still hope there is some simpler solution.

Thanks M.

< > < Hello Ralf, Guerrier
< > <
< > < Thanks for trying help. It really seems that I've met issue with
< journalling...
< > < It would be nice to solve this for all future cases which will surely
< come.
< > < I was goggling heavily without success.
< > <
< > < M.
< >

Old 11-25-2008, 02:45 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Hi Mira

I googeled for free alternatives, that are compatible to MacOs and are
available for download by a bit torrent client, but I only found illegal
torrents .

http://www.google.de/search?hl=de&q=torrent+mac+os+x&btnG=Suche&meta=&a q=f&oq=

I'm sorry, I don't know how to solve your problem.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 11-25-2008, 07:59 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Gustin Johnson wrote:

> Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > Hi Mira
>
> > I googeled for free alternatives, that are compatible to MacOs and are
> > available for download by a bit torrent client, but I only found illegal
> > torrents .
>
> Gotta love closed, proprietary solutions.
>
> Personally, I just copy the data off of MAc formatted drives to a disk
> of my own. Given the cost of hard drives these days, I cannot justify
> the cost in terms of my time wrestling with crappy proprietary
> solutions. A 160 Gig hard drive is ~$50 CDN here. At this price just
> spending 1 hour is not worth it
>
> One of the the guys I do some audio work with is a Mac fan. We just use
> a FAT32 formatted drive to share data since we can both read and write
> this format.

Full acknowledge. My HDs are formated with ext3. I used an USB HD device
of a friend, that was formated with FAT, I was allowed to reformat it,
but it was fine with Linux, so I didn't reformated it. In Germany a 160
Gig SATA is about 58,- CDN, 36,- EUR, it's better to have a lot of HDs,
than to use CDs, DVDs, DVDRAM. The only problem I've got is, that I'm
not able to set IDE and SATA to standby or sleep, Linux will start them
after a while, hdparm isn't fine for 64 Studio and Suse.

> For all other storage devices I tend to use ext2 as this can be read and
> written under Windows.

I didn't know that, I'll keep this in mind, because I might have to
install a Windows.

Anyway, for Mira there seems to be a reason, to have his problem solved
for HFS+.

Cheers,
Ralf