Old 12-11-2007, 12:44 PM
Dave Phillips

Default about memlock

Greetings,

I noticed that this is what I have in /etc/security/limits.conf :

@audio - rtprio 99
#@audio - memlock 250000
@audio - nice -10

I don't recall that I commented out the memlock setting. I assume it
should be uncommented ? Also, what is the preferred setting for memlock
(and the others) on an AMD64 system with 2GB RAM ?

Best,

dp

Old 12-11-2007, 12:56 PM
Free Ekanayaka

Hi Dave,

|--==> Dave Phillips writes:

DP> Greetings,
DP> I noticed that this is what I have in /etc/security/limits.conf :

DP> @audio - rtprio 99
DP> #@audio - memlock 250000
DP> @audio - nice -10

DP> I don't recall that I commented out the memlock setting. I assume it
DP> should be uncommented ? Also, what is the preferred setting for memlock
DP> (and the others) on an AMD64 system with 2GB RAM ?

No, actually it is commented by default. As far as I can tell you
should not need it.

Ciao!

Free

Old 12-11-2007, 01:23 PM
Dave Phillips

Free Ekanayaka wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> |--==> Dave Phillips writes:
>
> DP> Greetings,
> DP> I noticed that this is what I have in /etc/security/limits.conf :
>
> DP> @audio - rtprio 99
> DP> #@audio - memlock 250000
> DP> @audio - nice -10
>
> DP> I don't recall that I commented out the memlock setting. I assume it
> DP> should be uncommented ? Also, what is the preferred setting for memlock
> DP> (and the others) on an AMD64 system with 2GB RAM ?
>
> No, actually it is commented by default. As far as I can tell you
> should not need it.
Oh. Okay. So much for memlock's importance...

Best,

dp

Old 12-11-2007, 02:50 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Dave Phillips:
> Free Ekanayaka wrote:
>
>> Hi Dave,
>>
>> |--==> Dave Phillips writes:
>>
>> DP> Greetings,
>> DP> I noticed that this is what I have in /etc/security/limits.conf :
>>
>> DP> @audio - rtprio 99
>> DP> #@audio - memlock 250000
>> DP> @audio - nice -10
>>
>> DP> I don't recall that I commented out the memlock setting. I assume it
>> DP> should be uncommented ? Also, what is the preferred setting for memlock
>> DP> (and the others) on an AMD64 system with 2GB RAM ?
>>
>> No, actually it is commented by default. As far as I can tell you
>> should not need it.
>>
> Oh. Okay. So much for memlock's importance...
>
> Best,
>
> dp

Hi

I've got 1280MB RAM and can't notice a difference between my 64 Studio
2.0 with /etc/security/limits.conf set to

@audio - rtprio 99
#@audio - memlock 250000
@audio - nice -10

an my JAD 1.0 set to

@audio - rtprio 90
@audio - nice -15
@audio - memlock 4000000

so in the past I asked my self the same question as Dave.

I also can't notice a difference between

rtprio 99 or 90
nice -10 or -15.

Maybe there will be a unwanted effect if memlock is set to a smaller
value than the RAM is.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 12-11-2007, 04:30 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Daniel James:
> I think the idea is that if you have 512MB RAM or less, you can prevent RT
> audio programs from hogging all that memory. We comment this out by
> default because Ardour complains about being limited.
>
> If you have 2GB RAM, then there is no practical requirement to use
> memlock, unless the machine in question is running a heavy load of
> memory-hungry but non-RT-audio tasks. Like a busy web server which is also
> running jackd, for instance. Of course, buying more RAM is a better
> solution for that problem.

No, buying a second computer would be a better solution, no machine can
be used to make music with Linux, while there are running other things.
I've got 900 MHz, 1280MB RAM that's hell, if someone has got 2 GHz he
maybe could run an Audio-Linux as good as an Windows-Audio would run
with my machine, but even this I won't believe. Don't get me wrong, I
don't use Windows at home, but I have a multiboot to test things, that
won't work with my Linux. I'm searching for solutions to become audio
working with Linux as good as with Windows, but I won't run off toppic
... *while I try to make music my Linux are using less than half of my
RAM I don't think that memlock would have any function for an
Audio-Linux regardless if it will work fine or not*.