Old 04-05-2010, 11:45 PM
chris

Default nVidia

On Mon, 2010-04-05 at 16:42 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> On 04/05/2010 04:33 PM, Fred A. Miller wrote:
> > On 04/05/2010 01:22 AM, Johnneylee Rollins wrote:
> > > <snip>

> > > Fred,
> > > your signature is rather offensive.
> > >
> > It's accurate and MOST like it.
> >
> > Fred
> > --
> > A REVOLUTIONARY IDEA! 'Time to put Nana Pelosi in a home!'
> I like your signature Fred. Keep using it.
>
> 73 Karl

Why does the rest of the world ie non US citizens, have to put up with
this sort of nonsense on a technical list?
regards the kiwi

Old 04-06-2010, 04:14 PM
Sundar Nagarajan

Fred A. Miller wrote:
> On 04/05/2010 08:01 AM, Karl Larsen wrote:
>> On 04/04/2010 08:41 PM, Fred A. Miller wrote:
>>> As a followup on nVidia problems, I finally was able to get to a
>>> terminal without X being loaded and ran the nVidia installer. It won't
>>> compile the module because of a compiler difference. I'm using Ubuntu
>>> 10.04 beta 1 and the video is a GeForce 6150 LE.
>>>
>>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> Fred
>>>
>> Not help, but I too discovered early that Ubuntu 10.04 has both C
>> and C++ different than any other of the earlier Ubuntu versions. I had
>> to change all of my source codes to the other type. Not hard but a
>> pain. Your problem may not have a solution! Now you know the problem
>> at least.
>>

> Thanks, Karl. This makes sense from the error I rec'd when I tried to
> compile it. I guess I'll have to wait till they fix it. 'Wonder if
> they've fixed the ATI problems so many were having. 10.04 really needs
> to be "perfect" before it releases. Until recently, I only used
> SuSE....for YEARS, and remember more than 1 release that NEVER should
> have gone "gold" when it did!!
>
> Fred

Fred,

with a geForce 6150, you should be able to download a previous version
of the nvidia driver and use that. What has probably happened is that
the newer (read: newest) nvidia driver may be aligned with the latest
kernel version (not what Ubuntu 10.04 ships) that has a different ABI.

I am not SURE this is the problem, but it sounds possible / likely.

--
Sundar Nagarajan
Linux User #170123 | Ubuntu User #2805

Old 04-06-2010, 11:01 PM
"Fred A. Miller"

On 04/06/2010 12:14 PM, Sundar Nagarajan wrote:
> Fred A. Miller wrote:

>>> Not help, but I too discovered early that Ubuntu 10.04 has both C
>>> and C++ different than any other of the earlier Ubuntu versions. I had
>>> to change all of my source codes to the other type. Not hard but a
>>> pain. Your problem may not have a solution! Now you know the problem
>>> at least.
>>>

>> Thanks, Karl. This makes sense from the error I rec'd when I tried to
>> compile it. I guess I'll have to wait till they fix it. 'Wonder if
>> they've fixed the ATI problems so many were having. 10.04 really needs
>> to be "perfect" before it releases. Until recently, I only used
>> SuSE....for YEARS, and remember more than 1 release that NEVER should
>> have gone "gold" when it did!!
>>
>> Fred
>>

> Fred,
>
> with a geForce 6150, you should be able to download a previous version
> of the nvidia driver and use that. What has probably happened is that
> the newer (read: newest) nvidia driver may be aligned with the latest
> kernel version (not what Ubuntu 10.04 ships) that has a different ABI.
>
> I am not SURE this is the problem, but it sounds possible / likely.

'Possible. Is that why neither choice of driver in the "hardware"
utility (173 & 185) will work either?

Fred

--
A REVOLUTIONARY IDEA! 'Time to put Nana Pelosi in a home!'

Old 04-06-2010, 11:34 PM
nepal

On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 19:01:34 -0400
"Fred A. Miller" <fmiller@lightlink.com> wrote:

> 'Possible. Is that why neither choice of driver in the "hardware"
> utility (173 & 185) will work either?
>
> Fred

I upgraded my old Kubuntu partition today which has now all Kubuntu
removed. I just have XFce and LXDE. There were hundreds of files to
update, but now I have a 10.04 beta working and the nvidia drivers are
installed and working too including 3d accel. My card is the 8600GT and
the drivers are marked as the latest which IINM is the 195 driver.

It certainly seems to work ok so far.

nepal.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:29 AM
"Fred A. Miller"

On 04/06/2010 07:34 PM, nepal wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 19:01:34 -0400
> "Fred A. Miller"<fmiller@lightlink.com> wrote:
>

>> 'Possible. Is that why neither choice of driver in the "hardware"
>> utility (173& 185) will work either?
>>
>> Fred
>>
> I upgraded my old Kubuntu partition today which has now all Kubuntu
> removed. I just have XFce and LXDE. There were hundreds of files to
> update, but now I have a 10.04 beta working and the nvidia drivers are
> installed and working too including 3d accel. My card is the 8600GT and
> the drivers are marked as the latest which IINM is the 195 driver.
>
> It certainly seems to work ok so far.
>
> nepal.

I wonder what the difference is between the window manager installs that
have it working for you. The Ubuntu site admits there is a problem with
nVidia drivers.......go figure.

Fred

--
A REVOLUTIONARY IDEA! 'Time to put Nana Pelosi in a home!'

Old 04-11-2010, 01:39 AM
"Fred A. Miller"

I had hoped the bugs in the nVidia install in beta2 were going to be
fixed.....NADA.

Fred

Old 04-11-2010, 02:01 AM
NoOp

On 04/10/2010 06:39 PM, Fred A. Miller wrote:
> I had hoped the bugs in the nVidia install in beta2 were going to be
> fixed.....NADA.
>
> Fred

Well that was helpful. What problems are you having specifically?
Only problem that I had was with nvidia-settings & that was just fixed:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-settings/+bug/539196
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-settings/+bug/539196/comments/5>

Old 04-11-2010, 03:17 AM
Fred Roller

On 04/10/2010 10:01 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 04/10/2010 06:39 PM, Fred A. Miller wrote:
>
>> I had hoped the bugs in the nVidia install in beta2 were going to be
>> fixed.....NADA.
>>
>> Fred
>>

> Well that was helpful. What problems are you having specifically?
> Only problem that I had was with nvidia-settings& that was just fixed:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-settings/+bug/539196
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-settings/+bug/539196/comments/5>

I know that the restricted drivers are failing (any of them [nvidia]) on
a new box. It's the family "tv" and everything plays but /I/ notice the
glitches. Just haven't had a chance to dig out the logs just yet and
will hopefully post soon on a separate thread.

--
Fred
www.fwrgallery.com

"Life is like linux, simple. If you are fighting it you are doing something wrong."

Old 04-11-2010, 03:27 AM
NoOp

On 04/10/2010 08:17 PM, Fred Roller wrote:
> On 04/10/2010 10:01 PM, NoOp wrote:
>> On 04/10/2010 06:39 PM, Fred A. Miller wrote:
>>
>>> I had hoped the bugs in the nVidia install in beta2 were going to be
>>> fixed.....NADA.
>>>
>>> Fred
>>>

>> Well that was helpful. What problems are you having specifically?
>> Only problem that I had was with nvidia-settings& that was just fixed:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-settings/+bug/539196
>> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-settings/+bug/539196/comments/5>
>>

> I know that the restricted drivers are failing (any of them [nvidia]) on
> a new box. It's the family "tv" and everything plays but /I/ notice the
> glitches. Just haven't had a chance to dig out the logs just yet and
> will hopefully post soon on a separate thread.

As for Fred A.; it helps if you advise *which* drivers, etc. :-0 Generic
statements such as "restricted drivers are failing (any of them
[nvidia])" isn't much help. Both you guys have been around long enough
to at least provide some details :-)

Gary

Old 04-12-2010, 01:27 AM
NoOp

On 04/10/2010 08:17 PM, Fred Roller wrote:
> I know that the restricted drivers are failing (any of them [nvidia]) on
> a new box. It's the family "tv" and everything plays but /I/ notice the
> glitches. Just haven't had a chance to dig out the logs just yet and
> will hopefully post soon on a separate thread.

This might be of interest:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/jockey/+bug/552653/
[Lucid] Jockey gives message that it failed to install nvidia hardware
driver