Old 11-24-2009, 05:51 PM
Ian Malone

Default Nvidia

2009/11/24 Lonni J Friedman <netllama@gmail.com>:

> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 10:22 AM, cibertazzi2001
> <cibertazzi2001@yahoo.com.br> wrote:
>> I can not run my Nvidia 9600GT with Fedora 12, this discourages a little use

Not run at all or just not with the nvidia drivers? What symptoms are
there (examples: doesn't boot, graphics don't start, doesn't show
login, doesn't show desktop, blinks then fails to start)?

>> of this operating system, I wonder if someone can help me in this
>> configuration.Sorry for my english ,because my natural language is
>> portuguese

> http://www.idurun.com/?p=516

Simpler, way to get the nvidia drivers working, assuming you have a
desktop with nouveau, first set up RPMFusion
http://rpmfusion.org/Configuration
(both free and non-free)

Then READ (i.e. don't do yet):
http://rpmfusion.org/Howto/nVidia

* run:
yum install kmod-nvidia
This might not find anything if the drivers are still in
updates-testing, so you may want to try
yum --enablerepo rpmfusion-free-updates-testing --enablerepo
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-testing install kmod-nvidia

*now follow the instructions from http://rpmfusion.org/Howto/nVidia

*restart your computer (just X is not enough as you need to lose the
nouveau module)

If you have no desktop at all, then maybe try booting with the
rdblacklist=nouveau or rdblacklist=nvidia option to force the vesa
driver.

--
imalone

Old 04-05-2010, 02:41 AM
"Fred A. Miller"

As a followup on nVidia problems, I finally was able to get to a
terminal without X being loaded and ran the nVidia installer. It won't
compile the module because of a compiler difference. I'm using Ubuntu
10.04 beta 1 and the video is a GeForce 6150 LE.

Any help would be appreciated.

Fred

--
Q: What's the difference between Obama and his dog, Bo?
A: Bo has papers.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Fred Roller

On 04/04/2010 10:41 PM, Fred A. Miller wrote:
> As a followup on nVidia problems, I finally was able to get to a
> terminal without X being loaded and ran the nVidia installer. It won't
> compile the module because of a compiler difference. I'm using Ubuntu
> 10.04 beta 1 and the video is a GeForce 6150 LE.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Fred

Can you get back to a basic config? If so, then you could try, if you
haven't already, going to:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index5.aspx?lang=en-us

If you need to use another system then you can just enter the specific
info for your system.

--
Fred
www.fwrgallery.com

"Life is like linux, simple. If you are fighting it you are doing something wrong."

Old 04-05-2010, 12:01 PM
Karl Larsen

On 04/04/2010 08:41 PM, Fred A. Miller wrote:
> As a followup on nVidia problems, I finally was able to get to a
> terminal without X being loaded and ran the nVidia installer. It won't
> compile the module because of a compiler difference. I'm using Ubuntu
> 10.04 beta 1 and the video is a GeForce 6150 LE.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Fred

Not help, but I too discovered early that Ubuntu 10.04 has both C
and C++ different than any other of the earlier Ubuntu versions. I had
to change all of my source codes to the other type. Not hard but a pain.
Your problem may not have a solution! Now you know the problem at least.

73 Karl

Old 04-05-2010, 10:33 PM
"Fred A. Miller"

On 04/05/2010 01:22 AM, Johnneylee Rollins wrote:

<snip>

--
Q: What's the difference between Obama and his dog, Bo?
A: Bo has papers.

Fred,
your signature is rather offensive.

It's accurate and MOST like it.

Fred

--
A REVOLUTIONARY IDEA! 'Time to put Nana Pelosi in a home!'

Old 04-05-2010, 10:42 PM
Karl Larsen

On 04/05/2010 04:33 PM, Fred A. Miller wrote:

On 04/05/2010 01:22 AM, Johnneylee Rollins wrote:

<snip>

--
Q: What's the difference between Obama and his dog, Bo?
A: Bo has papers.

Fred,
your signature is rather offensive.

It's accurate and MOST like it.

Fred

--
A REVOLUTIONARY IDEA! 'Time to put Nana Pelosi in a home!'

*** *** I like your signature Fred. Keep using it.

73 Karl

Old 04-05-2010, 10:54 PM
"Fred A. Miller"

On 04/05/2010 06:42 PM, Karl Larsen wrote:
> On 04/05/2010 04:33 PM, Fred A. Miller wrote:
>> On 04/05/2010 01:22 AM, Johnneylee Rollins wrote:
>>> <snip>

>>> Fred,
>>> your signature is rather offensive.
>>>
>> It's accurate and MOST like it.
>>
>> Fred
>> --
>> A REVOLUTIONARY IDEA! 'Time to put Nana Pelosi in a home!'
> I like your signature Fred. Keep using it.

Thanks.....I intend to, but I do rotate them now and then. Right now,
I'd just like to solve the nVidia problem(s) I have with EVERY box that
I've put 10.04 on that has a nVidia chipset.

Thanks,

Fred

--
A REVOLUTIONARY IDEA! 'Time to put Nana Pelosi in a home!'

Old 04-05-2010, 11:14 PM
"Fred A. Miller"

On 04/05/2010 07:17 AM, Fred Roller wrote:
> On 04/04/2010 10:41 PM, Fred A. Miller wrote:
>
>> As a followup on nVidia problems, I finally was able to get to a
>> terminal without X being loaded and ran the nVidia installer. It won't
>> compile the module because of a compiler difference. I'm using Ubuntu
>> 10.04 beta 1 and the video is a GeForce 6150 LE.
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> Fred
>>

> Can you get back to a basic config? If so, then you could try, if you
> haven't already, going to:
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index5.aspx?lang=en-us
>
> If you need to use another system then you can just enter the specific
> info for your system.

I did that yesterday. That's what I wrote about. The driver from the nVidia
site WON'T compile. The error is that the module nvidia.z0, if I remember
correctly, was compiled with a different compiler. UNfortunately, this
doesn't
mean anything to me....I'm not a code jockey.

Fred

--
A REVOLUTIONARY IDEA! 'Time to put Nana Pelosi in a home!'

Old 04-05-2010, 11:18 PM
"Fred A. Miller"

On 04/05/2010 08:01 AM, Karl Larsen wrote:
> On 04/04/2010 08:41 PM, Fred A. Miller wrote:
>> As a followup on nVidia problems, I finally was able to get to a
>> terminal without X being loaded and ran the nVidia installer. It won't
>> compile the module because of a compiler difference. I'm using Ubuntu
>> 10.04 beta 1 and the video is a GeForce 6150 LE.
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> Fred
>>
> Not help, but I too discovered early that Ubuntu 10.04 has both C
> and C++ different than any other of the earlier Ubuntu versions. I had
> to change all of my source codes to the other type. Not hard but a
> pain. Your problem may not have a solution! Now you know the problem
> at least.

Thanks, Karl. This makes sense from the error I rec'd when I tried to
compile it. I guess I'll have to wait till they fix it. 'Wonder if
they've fixed the ATI problems so many were having. 10.04 really needs
to be "perfect" before it releases. Until recently, I only used
SuSE....for YEARS, and remember more than 1 release that NEVER should
have gone "gold" when it did!!

Fred

--
A REVOLUTIONARY IDEA! 'Time to put Nana Pelosi in a home!'

Old 04-05-2010, 11:19 PM
John DeCarlo

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 6:54 PM, Fred A. Miller <fmiller@lightlink.com> wrote:

I'd just like to solve the nVidia problem(s) I have with EVERY box that

I've put 10.04 on that has a nVidia chipset.

I've had good luck that that nVidia chipset and 10.04.* Can't figure out what problem you are seeing, unless it has something to do with your ignorant* and offensive signatures.* If that's how you approach technical issues, you will find problems every time.

--
John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own