Old 09-04-2008, 03:08 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Default Re(vision): MIDI event jitter

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> e.g. for a syncopic feeling human touch jitter always has negative delay,

I think I'm not wrong with this, but ...

> when playing a funeral march it always has positive

... I guess I was mistaken with this. Human touch seems to be more
complicated.

IMO humans, resp. good musicians will never do positive delayed jitter.
Exaggerated we tend to play funeral march feeling like parts, that
should be e.g. 110BPM instead at 109BPM, but the jitter might always be
negative delayed.

I think positive delayed jitter only will be made by machines and people
with less good timing. I didn't test this, so I'm not sure, but I won't
believe that we will tend to delay notes and rests.

For music that is played by beats, I guess human touch jitter must be
negative delayed. Imagine someone singing, when he can't hear his
realtime voice, only a delayed voice. He will become slower and slower,
because he tend to adjust the latency.

It won't be a help a machine with positive and negative jitter after
recording to give added delay, because there might be something else for
music that is played by beats. The feeling of the bar. People from an
African culture that are used to do 5/4 bars will have another kind of
human touch jitter, than European people doing the same songs, with a
more 2/4 + 3/4 bar feeling. Computer jitter is without those effects,
it's not musical.

It's speculative, but it's not speculative that computer jitter is
different to human touch.

Cheers,
Ralf