Old 09-03-2008, 08:12 AM
Quentin Harley

Default Jitter on Linux DAW

So, it has been confirmed that some jitter exist on Linux DAW. Does
this mean it is now unsuitable for music creation?

NO.

I know of a device that is much much much more jitter, and it is
perfectly capable of creating the best music around. Humans.

Is there any real proof that no jitter is present on windows DAW systems
? I suspect not.

Cheers,
Quentin

Old 09-03-2008, 09:01 AM
Daniel James

Hi Quentin,

> I know of a device that is much much much more jitter, and it is
> perfectly capable of creating the best music around. Humans.

I don't know about 'best music around', but my playing definitely has
jitter. Still, my timing is better than my singing :-)

> Is there any real proof that no jitter is present on windows DAW systems
> ?

We know that there are lots of variables involved in creating a stable,
reliable system. I think the number of forums dedicated to PC music
issues proves that Windows is not problem-free in this area.
Nevertheless, we have been turning up some subtle timing problems with
Jack applications recently. What matters to me is that the developers
really care about these problems, and are looking for solutions.

If, for example, you had built your system around Gigasampler and had
jitter problems, you'd be out of luck now:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/tag/discontinued/

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 09-03-2008, 09:19 AM
Quentin Harley

Daniel James wrote:
> If, for example, you had built your system around Gigasampler and had
> jitter problems, you'd be out of luck now:
>
> http://createdigitalmusic.com/tag/discontinued/

Thank heavens for Linuxsampler then...