Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   64 Studio User (http://www.linux-archive.org/64-studio-user/)
-   -   I'm again looking for a new mobo (http://www.linux-archive.org/64-studio-user/152548-im-again-looking-new-mobo.html)

Ralf Mardorf 09-02-2008 08:04 AM

I'm again looking for a new mobo
 
Hi :)

I try to get my computer run with a Linux DAW, but it seems to be that
the mobo is bad.

First I bought an ASRock K7VT2, that was absolute unusable with Linux, I
never saw a more unstable computer in my live, this board was 100%
stable with Windows, unfortunately I won't use Windows.

Since April I've got an ASUS M2A-VM HDMI, it's 100% stable with Linux
when not a DAW, but more unstable than the ASRock when in use as a Linux
DAW.

Instead of buying a graphic card for the M2A-VM HDMI I can spend around
50,- EUR for a new mobo. But I need information which mobo will be fine
with Linux DAWs.

I started searching and found an Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4. Does anybody
know this board? Or any board that can use an Athlon BE-2350 and DDRII
RAM and costs around 50,- EUR and is fine with Linux DAWs?

Does anybody know if an Athlon BE-2350 is fine with Linux DAWs?

I have to say that I won't be able to spend all the time money for new
computers, once I have a computer it must be fine for the next 10 years,
I only can make up the computer by bulk rubbish, but I also don't need a
new distro and new applications once a Linux DAW will run stable.

When the chips are down I have to use Windows :(, if Windows won't be
fine with the new ASUS, I have to use the old ASRock, no problem because
it's fine with Cubase, it's just that I'm not fine with Microsoft, I've
no problem with Steinberg and can get a legal Cubase. I would prefer to
get a Linux DAW run.

A list of hardware that's fine and not fine might be a good think to
have. An oldish list is here: http://www.64studio.com/node/69

Cheers,
Ralf

_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users

Gustin Johnson 09-02-2008 09:02 AM

I'm again looking for a new mobo
 
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Hi :)
>
> I try to get my computer run with a Linux DAW, but it seems to be that
> the mobo is bad.
>
> First I bought an ASRock K7VT2, that was absolute unusable with Linux, I
> never saw a more unstable computer in my live, this board was 100%
> stable with Windows, unfortunately I won't use Windows.
>
> Since April I've got an ASUS M2A-VM HDMI, it's 100% stable with Linux
> when not a DAW, but more unstable than the ASRock when in use as a Linux
> DAW.
>
> Instead of buying a graphic card for the M2A-VM HDMI I can spend around
> 50,- EUR for a new mobo. But I need information which mobo will be fine
> with Linux DAWs.
>
> I started searching and found an Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4. Does anybody
> know this board? Or any board that can use an Athlon BE-2350 and DDRII
> RAM and costs around 50,- EUR and is fine with Linux DAWs?
>
> Does anybody know if an Athlon BE-2350 is fine with Linux DAWs?
>
> I have to say that I won't be able to spend all the time money for new
> computers, once I have a computer it must be fine for the next 10 years,
> I only can make up the computer by bulk rubbish, but I also don't need a
> new distro and new applications once a Linux DAW will run stable.
>
> When the chips are down I have to use Windows :(, if Windows won't be
> fine with the new ASUS, I have to use the old ASRock, no problem because
> it's fine with Cubase, it's just that I'm not fine with Microsoft, I've
> no problem with Steinberg and can get a legal Cubase. I would prefer to
> get a Linux DAW run.
>
> A list of hardware that's fine and not fine might be a good think to
> have. An oldish list is here: http://www.64studio.com/node/69
>
Always a good idea, a nightmare too keep up to date. I would suggest a
wiki of some sort. There is simply too much variety that changes daily.
Seriously google for the chipset, use terms like low latency and xruns.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFIvQE5wRXgH3rKGfMRAo3aAJ0c8/asjUZozeUZdX7gkXfgbx0jBQCdHUjD
gqlRHAQ2YYwFa4cOrjRjLuw=
=3ap1
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users

"pw.marcus" 09-02-2008 09:50 AM

I'm again looking for a new mobo
 
Ralf,

I'm fade up recieving 10 mails a day (50 lines each) about trivial
problems such as "I'm looking for a new mobo", if you feel like to find
a new mobo, take a look on other forums, or on the web, or anywhere
(there are many posts or sites talking about hardware compabilities).

There are other people right here, who have other problems than yours,
you are not the "only one".

Cheers


_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users

Dave Phillips 09-02-2008 09:57 AM

I'm again looking for a new mobo
 
pw.marcus wrote:
> I'm fade up recieving 10 mails a day (50 lines each) about trivial
> problems such as "I'm looking for a new mobo", if you feel like to find
> a new mobo, take a look on other forums, or on the web, or anywhere
> (there are many posts or sites talking about hardware compabilities).
>
> There are other people right here, who have other problems than yours,
> you are not the "only one".
You don't have to read those mails. Select 'em and dump 'em if you
prefer, but Ralf needs advice from the community of Linux users who are
already using their machines for music. If he asks his questions on a
more general board then he'll get a more general solution. However, he
needs a *specific* solution, one that might be better found on a list
such as this one.

FWIW, I use Gigabye mobos in both my machines. They were recommended on
a list similar to this list.

Best,

dp


_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users

"pw.marcus" 09-02-2008 10:06 AM

I'm again looking for a new mobo
 
Dave Phillips a écrit :
> pw.marcus wrote:
>
>> I'm fade up recieving 10 mails a day (50 lines each) about trivial
>> problems such as "I'm looking for a new mobo", if you feel like to find
>> a new mobo, take a look on other forums, or on the web, or anywhere
>> (there are many posts or sites talking about hardware compabilities).
>>
>> There are other people right here, who have other problems than yours,
>> you are not the "only one".
>>
> You don't have to read those mails. Select 'em and dump 'em if you
> prefer, but Ralf needs advice from the community of Linux users who are
> already using their machines for music. If he asks his questions on a
> more general board then he'll get a more general solution. However, he
> needs a *specific* solution, one that might be better found on a list
> such as this one.
>
> FWIW, I use Gigabye mobos in both my machines. They were recommended on
> a list similar to this list.
>
> Best,
>
> dp
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> 64studio-users mailing list
> 64studio-users@64studio.com
> http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users
>

Ok, Dave, I'll do.

Cheers

>
>



_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users

Ralf Mardorf 09-02-2008 10:21 AM

I'm again looking for a new mobo
 
Hi Gustin :)

> Always a good idea, a nightmare too keep up to date. I would suggest a
> wiki of some sort. There is simply too much variety that changes daily.
> Seriously google for the chipset, use terms like low latency and xruns.

E.g. for AMD 690G I had to reduce the search to "AMD 690G linux" and I
fond German threads like this one:
http://www.vdrportal.de/board/thread.php?postid=588448

I won't translate the thread, I resume it, there's no argument against
the AMD 690G chipset and even the ATI driver for the ASUS M2A-VM should
work. The driver has broken my 64 Studio, when using it with the HDMI card.

Another board with this chipset seems to make trouble with HDDs:
http://www.computerbase.de/forum/showthread.php?t=280318&page=2

I don't have any HDD troubles.


Hi Marcus :)

> Ralf,
>
> I'm fade up recieving 10 mails a day (50 lines each) about trivial
> problems such as "I'm looking for a new mobo", if you feel like to
> find a new mobo, take a look on other forums, or on the web, or
> anywhere (there are many posts or sites talking about hardware
> compabilities).
>
> There are other people right here, who have other problems than yours,
> you are not the "only one".
>
> Cheers

At the moment you're right with the fact, that I'm punishing the list
with my troubles. I bought 2 boards and no board is fine with Linux
DAWs. I searched the net a lot for informations, but the informations
are conflicting.

At the moment there are not a lot of other mails to the list, than
mines. Maybe you can filter my mails, so they won't bother you. I'm sorry.

Cheers,
Ralf

PS: I'll run a DAW session and will protocol nearly each step I do, copy
all terminal messages into a file and send it to the list or another
forum, but I don't think that other forums are more interested in
problems when running Linux. Especially the tone in German forums is
very hard when writing about negative experiences with running Linux,
nearly nobody is running a Linux DAW, but they all know that Linux is a
perfect OS. If I don't strike the proper tone, I'm sorry, but this might
be more a thread for a psychology forum. I think there are a lot of
musicians with less money and psychological deficits, but even if
someone is perfect, it would be good to have a forum to get informations
about Linux DAWs, when having trouble again and again.

_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users

Ralf Mardorf 09-02-2008 11:04 AM

I'm again looking for a new mobo
 
> If he asks his questions on a
> more general board then he'll get a more general solution. However, he
> needs a *specific* solution, one that might be better found on a list
> such as this one.
>

Some last words from me to that issue:

In non-DAW forums there are rumours posted as truth, e.g. that
modern kernels have a RT option (that's true) and there isn't the
need to have a RT kernel for a DAW (that's wrong).

My weakness is, that I'm not only writing the facts. I complain and
that might be not good, but that might be the nature of artists, to
be to emotional. It's already modest to write with less pathos than
it's needed for composing a song, resp. I hope it is.

In general it's a problem of people with less knowledge, that we ask
again and again the same questions, even if there are FAQs with the
answers. Answers often can't be understood without enough knowledge.

I know a lot of people that won't use Linux, because of the needed
knowledge. For Windows and Mac forums it is normal to have less
knowledge, normal users don't know about runtime libs and C header
libs and especially the PC hardware is optimized to Windows, so
there will be less troubles.

I'm sorry.


> FWIW, I use Gigabye mobos in both my machines. They were recommended on
> a list similar to this list.
>

Have you a Gigabyte mobo with an AM2 socket that's fine with 64 Studio?
And if so, which mobo is it?

Thanks,
Ralf

_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users

Dave Phillips 09-02-2008 11:37 AM

I'm again looking for a new mobo
 
Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
> Have you a Gigabyte mobo with an AM2 socket that's fine with 64 Studio?
> And if so, which mobo is it?
>
>
The 64 Studio mobo is a Gigabyte GA-K8N51 populated by 4 G memory and a
320 G SATA disk. However, this is a socket 939 board running an AMD
3200+. It's a wonderful machine, very stable, and it is my central
production box for my home studio. It also contains an M-Audio Delta 66
and a SoundBlaster PCI128 (for its MIDI hardware interface). Video is
handled by a fanless gForce 7600GS with 512 MB video memory (I work with
apps that require accelerated 3D graphics). No troubles between the
nVidia driver (closed-source) and the audio stuff.

To be clear: 64 Studio is by far the most stable Linux audio system that
I've installed, with the exception of Planet CCRMA. I love my JAD 1.0
system too, but I use more experimental stuff on it and it's a little
more likely to lock up when I'm running some edgy applications. However,
for most of the time it's a perfectly stable system. Btw, its hardware
is almost identical to the 64 Studio box.

I plan to add another drive to the JAD box and install a recent Planet
CCRMA. I haven't taken a look at it for a long while.

Best,

dp


_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users

Dragan Noveski 09-02-2008 11:43 AM

I'm again looking for a new mobo
 
Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> If he asks his questions on a
>> more general board then he'll get a more general solution. However, he
>> needs a *specific* solution, one that might be better found on a list
>> such as this one.
>>
>>
>
> Some last words from me to that issue:
>
> In non-DAW forums there are rumours posted as truth, e.g. that
> modern kernels have a RT option (that's true) and there isn't the
> need to have a RT kernel for a DAW (that's wrong).
>
> My weakness is, that I'm not only writing the facts. I complain and
> that might be not good, but that might be the nature of artists, to
> be to emotional. It's already modest to write with less pathos than
> it's needed for composing a song, resp. I hope it is.
>
> In general it's a problem of people with less knowledge, that we ask
> again and again the same questions, even if there are FAQs with the
> answers. Answers often can't be understood without enough knowledge.
>
> I know a lot of people that won't use Linux, because of the needed
> knowledge. For Windows and Mac forums it is normal to have less
> knowledge, normal users don't know about runtime libs and C header
> libs and especially the PC hardware is optimized to Windows, so
> there will be less troubles.
>
> I'm sorry.
>
>
>
>> FWIW, I use Gigabye mobos in both my machines. They were recommended on
>> a list similar to this list.
>>
>>
>
> Have you a Gigabyte mobo with an AM2 socket that's fine with 64 Studio?
> And if so, which mobo is it?
>
> Thanks,
> Ralf
>
hey ralf,
i got a GB GA-MA790FX-DQ6 mobo some months ago and it works like a charm.
i can't change the interrupt of my pci slot for the multiface, it is
fixed to 21, but this is not causing any troubles.
to that i got an 20€ nvidia card - easy to set up and for us making
music - really fast.
now i have the 'problem' that if i wanna drag a region in the time line
in ardour it hapens too fast....so i had to get used to the speed of
that card (Geforce 7300).
hope that helps a bit.

cheers,
doc

_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users

Tapani Sysimetsä 09-02-2008 12:04 PM

I'm again looking for a new mobo
 
Hi Ralf,

If you already have a processor with AM2 socket then maybe it's best to
stick to that. My 2 years + 3 months old 939-socket mobo just broke and
i was told at the local PC 911 store that it is very common that this
type of boards break down, mainly due to overheating.

Tapani



_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:11 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.