FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > 64 Studio > 64 Studio User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-02-2008, 03:56 PM
"pw.marcus"
 
Default I'm again looking for a new mobo

Ralf Mardorf a écrit :
> Hi Gustin
>
>
>> Always a good idea, a nightmare too keep up to date. I would suggest a
>> wiki of some sort. There is simply too much variety that changes daily.
>> Seriously google for the chipset, use terms like low latency and xruns.
>>
>
> E.g. for AMD 690G I had to reduce the search to "AMD 690G linux" and I
> fond German threads like this one:
> http://www.vdrportal.de/board/thread.php?postid=588448
>
> I won't translate the thread, I resume it, there's no argument against
> the AMD 690G chipset and even the ATI driver for the ASUS M2A-VM should
> work. The driver has broken my 64 Studio, when using it with the HDMI card.
>
> Another board with this chipset seems to make trouble with HDDs:
> http://www.computerbase.de/forum/showthread.php?t=280318&page=2
>
> I don't have any HDD troubles.
>
>
> Hi Marcus
>
>
>> Ralf,
>>
>> I'm fade up recieving 10 mails a day (50 lines each) about trivial
>> problems such as "I'm looking for a new mobo", if you feel like to
>> find a new mobo, take a look on other forums, or on the web, or
>> anywhere (there are many posts or sites talking about hardware
>> compabilities).
>>
>> There are other people right here, who have other problems than yours,
>> you are not the "only one".
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>
> At the moment you're right with the fact, that I'm punishing the list
> with my troubles. I bought 2 boards and no board is fine with Linux
> DAWs. I searched the net a lot for informations, but the informations
> are conflicting.
>
> At the moment there are not a lot of other mails to the list, than
> mines. Maybe you can filter my mails, so they won't bother you. I'm sorry.
>
> Cheers,
> Ralf
>
> PS: I'll run a DAW session and will protocol nearly each step I do, copy
> all terminal messages into a file and send it to the list or another
> forum, but I don't think that other forums are more interested in
> problems when running Linux. Especially the tone in German forums is
> very hard when writing about negative experiences with running Linux,
> nearly nobody is running a Linux DAW, but they all know that Linux is a
> perfect OS. If I don't strike the proper tone, I'm sorry, but this might
> be more a thread for a psychology forum. I think there are a lot of
> musicians with less money and psychological deficits, but even if
> someone is perfect, it would be good to have a forum to get informations
> about Linux DAWs, when having trouble again and again.
>
>
Hy Ralf,

No problem, excuse me, I've lost control, it takes me a lot of time to
read your mails, even if I don't give you many help.

In fact, the only thing I can say to really help is:

I'm working on music with linux since 6 years now. I've even recorded a
CD entierely with linux tools.
If you want to get ride of hardware stuff, and be more on artistic or
professional side, I'd say that you have to "pay the price":

1) A good CPU
2) A good motherboard
3) 2 good hard drives
4) A _*really*_ good sound card

_My system is:_* *(this is what I found 2 years ago)

1) AMD athlon fx 3000+
2) Gigabyte motherboard socket 939 (second hand 50€)
3) 2 scsi drives with a tekram PCI controller (one drive for the OS and
the other for the datas)
4) RME hdsp 9652

With a setup like this, you can do almost anything you want (exept the
coffee !)
I would recommand RME cards, because they are really _*PRO*_ cards, and
the support under linux is really _*PRO*_.
Of course, you can go on with a Terratec card, but keep in mind that if
you hold on with Linux and audio, you'll probably change your soundcard.

Few years behind, I always wanted to buy things to make music, but the
cheapest as possible. When I think about it today, i'd say that I did
loose money and time !


Hope it'll help

Cheers





_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users
 
Old 09-02-2008, 06:15 PM
"Mike Baas"
 
Default I'm again looking for a new mobo

Ralf,

Buying a computer now, I would try and get one with more than a few PCI-Express slots.* That seems to be where all the hardware manufactures that make PCI cards are headed these days.* RME just released the HDSPe RayDAT, that's bound to kick some major ass.


I don't know what Linux support is like for that card or PCI-e but I just wanted you to be aware that was the latest and greatest.

I've been running on RME's 2003 reference PC for 5 years on both Windows and Linux and I've never had to worry about timing and clock stuff.* Another reason for that is that my RME 96/52 is clocked by an external clock (Lucid) via Word Clock.* If you really after perfection, an external digital clock is the way to go.* It improves the clarity of the audio signal tremendously, even with RME gear.


mb

_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users
 
Old 09-02-2008, 06:36 PM
Ralf Mardorf
 
Default I'm again looking for a new mobo

Hallo Marcus
> Hy Ralf,
>
> No problem, excuse me, I've lost control, it takes me a lot of time to
> read your mails, even if I don't give you many help.

Never mind! There's nothing you have to excuse for. I can really lose
control and my locution than will make seamen blush. Such a situation is
something to excuse for. You just wrote your opinion and didn't touch
one of my Achilles' heels.

> In fact, the only thing I can say to really help is:
>
> I'm working on music with linux since 6 years now. I've even recorded
> a CD entierely with linux tools.
> If you want to get ride of hardware stuff, and be more on artistic or
> professional side, I'd say that you have to "pay the price":
>
> 1) A good CPU

I hope a AMD dual core, 2.1 GHz is a good CPU.

> 2) A good motherboard

That seems to be my problem.

> 3) 2 good hard drives

I think my HDD, a Samsung SATA II should be good enough, even the Maxtor
IDE I've got.

> 4) A _*really*_ good sound card

I wish to have one, but that also shouldn't be a problem. I've got an
Envy24-based TerraTec EWX 24/96. It should be good enough to have a
pro-audio-stable DAW. So I should be able to pre-produce at home.

The final outcome must not have professional studio quality, it should
have consumer CD quality and working with MIDI should be professional.

> _My system is:_* *(this is what I found 2 years ago)
>
> 1) AMD athlon fx 3000+

AMD Athlon X2 BE-2350 2.1GHz, AM2

Data seems to be better, than the Data of your CPU

> 2) Gigabyte motherboard socket 939 (second hand 50€)

Mainboard AM2, ASUS M2A-VM/HDMI (new 46,13445€ * 1,19 betterment tax)

> 3) 2 scsi drives with a tekram PCI controller (one drive for the OS
> and the other for the datas)

SATA-II 320GB Samsung HD321KJ and a Maxtor ATA

SATA II seems to be the fastest on the market. My 1920MB (2 * 1024 -
128MB frame buffer) PC6400 800MHz RAM, compatible to 667MHz and 533MHz,
AENEON by Qimonda should also be good enough for a DAW.

> 4) RME hdsp 9652

Audio: TerraTec EWX 24/98
MIDI: Swissonic USB device

Your soundcard seems to be the better one, but I think that an
Envy24-based sound card should be good enough to work and I don't think
I've any crashes because of the sound card, especially MIDI jitter
shouldn't have to do with that sound card. I might take a look at the
interrupts, maybe thinks will crash because USB has an interrupt that
also is used by something else.

> With a setup like this, you can do almost anything you want (exept the
> coffee !)

With my 32-bit ASRock I could do everything when using Windows, but I
won't use Windows, so I bought the hardware above, that shouldn't be.

> I would recommand RME cards, because they are really _*PRO*_ cards,
> and the support under linux is really _*PRO*_.
> Of course, you can go on with a Terratec card, but keep in mind that
> if you hold on with Linux and audio, you'll probably change your
> soundcard.
>
> Few years behind, I always wanted to buy things to make music, but the
> cheapest as possible. When I think about it today, i'd say that I did
> loose money and time !

The TerraTec has consumer DAT quality, when running with Windows, and
low latency too. So it's not a professional sound card, but it shouldn't
be the cause for the problems I've got.

Cheers,
Ralf

_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users
 
Old 09-02-2008, 07:02 PM
Ralf Mardorf
 
Default I'm again looking for a new mobo

Mike Baas wrote:
> Ralf,
>
> Buying a computer now, I would try and get one with more than a few
> PCI-Express slots. That seems to be where all the hardware
> manufactures that make PCI cards are headed these days. RME just
> released the HDSPe RayDAT, that's bound to kick some major ass.
>
> I don't know what Linux support is like for that card or PCI-e but I
> just wanted you to be aware that was the latest and greatest.
>
> I've been running on RME's 2003 reference PC for 5 years on both
> Windows and Linux and I've never had to worry about timing and clock
> stuff. Another reason for that is that my RME 96/52 is clocked by an
> external clock (Lucid) via Word Clock. If you really after
> perfection, an external digital clock is the way to go. It improves
> the clarity of the audio signal tremendously, even with RME gear.
>
> mb

That's to expensive for me. Internal audio to MIDI sync and Jitter is
borderline but okay, I only can't be fine with the crashes, especially
because I have to reboot and set up the setup again. I didn't make a
test sice the last BIOS update.

Cheers,
Ralf

_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users
 
Old 09-03-2008, 03:30 AM
Gustin Johnson
 
Default I'm again looking for a new mobo

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1



Dave Phillips wrote:
> Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> Have you a Gigabyte mobo with an AM2 socket that's fine with 64
>> Studio? And if so, which mobo is it?
>>
>>
> The 64 Studio mobo is a Gigabyte GA-K8N51 populated by 4 G memory and
> a 320 G SATA disk. However, this is a socket 939 board running an AMD
> 3200+. It's a wonderful machine, very stable, and it is my central
> production box for my home studio. It also contains an M-Audio Delta
> 66 and a SoundBlaster PCI128 (for its MIDI hardware interface). Video
> is handled by a fanless gForce 7600GS with 512 MB video memory (I
> work with apps that require accelerated 3D graphics). No troubles
> between the nVidia driver (closed-source) and the audio stuff.
>
The 939 based motherboards I have had a good deal of success with. It
is the newer chipsets based around the AM2 platform that are sketchy (I
know it is only anecdotal, but I have yet to have a good Linux
experience with either the nVidia or ATI AM2 chipsets, though if you
have to choose, the nVidia one seems to have mostly settled down).

It sucks that non-hardware geeks have to pay attention to the chipsets
these days. You would think that those days were in the past by now.
For anyone else looking to purchase hardware, I have recently gone back
to the Intel camp. Their stuff seems to just work under Linux.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFIvgTywRXgH3rKGfMRAu8XAJ0b5HXi6zI2HsW4ouTj95 W6j9AODwCfarps
4hH1yYPBMkwSFw5R4A0brSM=
=RhUX
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users
 
Old 09-03-2008, 05:40 AM
Quentin Harley
 
Default I'm again looking for a new mobo

Gustin Johnson wrote:
> It sucks that non-hardware geeks have to pay attention to the chipsets
> these days. You would think that those days were in the past by now.
> For anyone else looking to purchase hardware, I have recently gone back
> to the Intel camp. Their stuff seems to just work under Linux.
> -

I agree that it it a nuisance that we have to look out for these
things. It all has to do with the reason why Linux works so much better
as a DAW than windows, and that is the kernel. Under the windows
system, the kernel is very small in relation to linux, and all drivers
are loaded as modules onto the kernel. When I say all, I mean all.
That opens the floor to hardware manufacturers to merrily go and change
just about anything, as long as they supply the new drivers with the
piece of hardware. The drawback is a slight performance hit.

This is BAD for us, as this all has to be incorporated in the kernel,
either though direct support by some hardware manufacturers (very few)
or by reverse engineering. These kernel then has to be tested, and
ultimately be transformed by our RT kernel hackers to be a RT kernel
viable for real time audio work. Quite a process.

All this says one thing - get tried and trusted hardware if you are only
going to build a single system. Check out our Greylist for advice:
http://www.64studio.com/node/69 . If you have the cash to try new
systems, do it and report back to the greylist.

If you have a perfectly working system, please contribute to our
greylist with your working setup, and help other users to get their 64
Studio setups working out of the box.

PS: There is no whitelist, because no hardware can be deemed fully
supported... It sometimes comes down to combinations as well. BUT,
generally all items marked as Grey can be considered fully or
satisfactorily supported.

Cheers,Quentin

_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users
 
Old 09-03-2008, 06:00 AM
Ralf Mardorf
 
Default I'm again looking for a new mobo

Hi Gustin

> The 939 based motherboards I have had a good deal of success with. It
> is the newer chipsets based around the AM2 platform that are sketchy (I
> know it is only anecdotal, but I have yet to have a good Linux
> experience with either the nVidia or ATI AM2 chipsets, though if you
> have to choose, the nVidia one seems to have mostly settled down).
>
> It sucks that non-hardware geeks have to pay attention to the chipsets
> these days. You would think that those days were in the past by now.
> For anyone else looking to purchase hardware, I have recently gone back
> to the Intel camp. Their stuff seems to just work under Linux.
Hi Gustin

I wonder if any other mobo with my chipsets causes troubles with Linux DAWs.

Northbridge: AMD690G
Southbridge: ATI SB600 (Storage for the HDDs is fine, there's just a
LBA/CHS inconsistency that doesn't matter)
Integrated ATI Radeon X1250-based (It sucks, but it's fine with the Vesa
driver)
Realtec ALC883 (The Audio device sucks, like all integrated audio
devices I know, driver is the ALSA intel driver, I disabled the audio
device, so Linux has no trouble with it, ALC883 reserves analogue mixer
architecture for backward compatibility with AC'97)

When I bought my CPU AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core Revision G2 Stepping, it
seems to be state of the art, but now there is a 4xxxe series, with
nearly the same data, minimal better than my BE-2350, but less expensive
and Vcore is 1,15V - 1,25V. My CPU's Vcore is 1,25V, but the BIOS only
supports Auto = +1.20V, +1.20V, +1.30V, +1.40V, +1.50V. The real voltage
is 1,20V - 1,21V and I wonder if the difference of 0,04V - 0,05V can
cause instability when running a DAW. For older CPUs a difference of
0,1V is okay.

Cheers,
Ralf

_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users
 
Old 09-03-2008, 07:11 AM
Ralf Mardorf
 
Default I'm again looking for a new mobo

Hi Quentin

before you read what I reply to your statements about Windows, pleas
read my last sentence.

> I agree that it it a nuisance that we have to look out for these
> things. It all has to do with the reason why Linux works so much better
> as a DAW than windows, and that is the kernel.

Are there any Linux DAWs that work better than Windows DAWs? I read
about that not only I have MIDI jitter, but that MIDI jitter is a
problem for every Linux DAW, even if it's not hearable for most Linux
DAWs, it's still there and Windows DAWs definitive have no jitter.
Latencies are fine with Windows and Linux for my TerraTec and the audio
software needs less resources by more functionality.

I'm not fine with Windows, but I guess you are wrong. What will work
better with Linux DAWs?

> Under the windows
> system, the kernel is very small in relation to linux, and all drivers
> are loaded as modules onto the kernel. When I say all, I mean all.
> That opens the floor to hardware manufacturers to merrily go and change
> just about anything, as long as they supply the new drivers with the
> piece of hardware. The drawback is a slight performance hit.
>

I know much more about Linux, but I can set up Windows DAWs that
performs much, much, much better than Linux DAWs. The whole structure of
Windows is much smarter than the structure of Linux, smaller and more
efficient, excepted of the filesystem and for multiuser systems I can't
see any advantages for Linux (excepted of the political issue).

> This is BAD for us, as this all has to be incorporated in the kernel,
> either though direct support by some hardware manufacturers (very few)
> or by reverse engineering. These kernel then has to be tested, and
> ultimately be transformed by our RT kernel hackers to be a RT kernel
> viable for real time audio work. Quite a process.
>
> All this says one thing - get tried and trusted hardware if you are only
> going to build a single system. Check out our Greylist for advice:
> http://www.64studio.com/node/69 . If you have the cash to try new
> systems, do it and report back to the greylist.
>

That's the problem, I'm very poor, I bought hardware that was 100%
perfect with a Windows DAW, Cubase with much more functionality than
Linux has got, but I never liked Microsoft, that's why I only used
Linux, resp. I couldn't get a DAW running, so a friend gave me the money
to buy better hardware. I asked the list, I read
http://www.64studio.com/node/69 and many posts in the internet and
anyhow it seems that I bought the wrong hardware. I often got hardware
with chipsets that are posted as fine with Linux, but it wasn't because
of different revisions of the boards.

> If you have a perfectly working system, please contribute to our
> greylist with your working setup, and help other users to get their 64
> Studio setups working out of the box.
>
> PS: There is no whitelist, because no hardware can be deemed fully
> supported... It sometimes comes down to combinations as well. BUT,
> generally all items marked as Grey can be considered fully or
> satisfactorily supported.
>
> Cheers,Quentin

If my mobo isn't fine, I only can try to find a better board, if there
will be one with an integrated graphics around 50,-€.

Because of my connections I can get a legal Cubase for my homestudio for
free, so a Microsoft based DAW also will be less expensive for me.
People say I'm an idiot, because I will use Linux because of ethical
reasons.

The problem with the hardware isn't just that the hardware companies are
all evil, it's also because it's much easier to write drivers for
Windows. I'm a coder and I'm not able to program more than "Hallo
world!" for Linux, I'm jobless and could learn and program 24 hours a
day, a professional coder has got only 8 hours a day.

Even dedicated coders, Ardour, Rosegarden, have troubles with the make
files, so for a hardware company the effort won't pay.

I'm not fine with saying Linux is better, without giving arguments what
especially is better. Excepted of the ethical reasons, multi user sytems
/ servers and maybe safeness when using the internet and that there are
a few good software that is expensive for MacOS and Windows, Linux will
cause more trouble than MacOS and Windows will do.

Anyway, today I've to test if the BIOS upgrade did change anything, if
not I'll have to look for a new low-cost board with AM2 socket and if
also a new board won't change anything, I have to change to Windows .
The friend who gave me the money for the hardware I bought for Linux,
only uses MacOS and Windows and he'll give me a gift if I stop wasting
my time with Linux.

I'm serious frustrated. I only have one friend who always tries Linux
DAWs too. He installs latest Linux distros, set up DAWs, tested those
DAWs and goes on making music with Windows, because he always has
similar problems to mine. Instead of using Windows I compile and
compile, check out repositories, try distros.

Nearly every thing is fine with Linux when using Suse 11.0, but I can't
get a DAW, at the moment with Suse 11.0 and 64 Studio 2.1 default and 64
Studio Lenny. Not fine is the fax, because I've got a Linux compatible
card, that's not Linux compatible, because of a chipset combination and
because also of an USB device with bad Linux drivers. Sometimes an a/b
box I've got isn't able to work as fax, sometimes it only can send fax
and sometimes it works, that depends to the distros versions I used.

Anyway, I'm not willing to write more about MacOS and Windows, I need
informations about ways to get a stable Linux DAW with less, very less
money, independent the situation if Windows and MacOs are better or more
worse than Linux.

Cheers,
Ralf

_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users
 
Old 09-03-2008, 08:03 AM
Quentin Harley
 
Default I'm again looking for a new mobo

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> If my mobo isn't fine, I only can try to find a better board, if there
> will be one with an integrated graphics around 50,-€.
>

Hi Ralf. Tell me you are not using the on-board graphics.

If you are, I am going to tell you why it is working under windows, and
not with your real-time kernel.

On-board graphics use on-board ram. Access to ram is controlled by the
kernel. If you have a non-realtime kernel, stuff happens according to a
soft timer, and everything happens close to the time they should,
because if a video interrupt uses the RAM it does not make a huge
difference. There IS jitter, but very little, and you cannot hear it.

Real time kernels have stuff timed to hardware. If the screen card
comes and uses the RAM out of turn this can cause timing failures, and
cause the hardware to miss targets. RT kernels don't like this, because
if they don't make it on time, it is not important any more.

I had a similar issue with my on-board graphics, and that is why I don't
build even one system that does not use an external graphics card.
Do get a supported cheap nVidia card, and I mean cheap. I have a
GeForce 6200 and it has served me very well so far.

I suspect your MoBo IS just fine - just fix it's environment!

Thank me later
Quentin

_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users
 
Old 09-03-2008, 08:08 AM
Gustin Johnson
 
Default I'm again looking for a new mobo

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Hi Quentin
>
> before you read what I reply to your statements about Windows, pleas
> read my last sentence.
>
>> I agree that it it a nuisance that we have to look out for these
>> things. It all has to do with the reason why Linux works so much better
>> as a DAW than windows, and that is the kernel.
>
> Are there any Linux DAWs that work better than Windows DAWs? I read
> about that not only I have MIDI jitter, but that MIDI jitter is a
> problem for every Linux DAW, even if it's not hearable for most Linux
> DAWs, it's still there and Windows DAWs definitive have no jitter.
> Latencies are fine with Windows and Linux for my TerraTec and the audio
> software needs less resources by more functionality.
>
> I'm not fine with Windows, but I guess you are wrong. What will work
> better with Linux DAWs?
>
>> Under the windows
>> system, the kernel is very small in relation to linux, and all drivers
>> are loaded as modules onto the kernel. When I say all, I mean all.
>> That opens the floor to hardware manufacturers to merrily go and change
>> just about anything, as long as they supply the new drivers with the
>> piece of hardware. The drawback is a slight performance hit.
>>
>
> I know much more about Linux, but I can set up Windows DAWs that
> performs much, much, much better than Linux DAWs. The whole structure of
> Windows is much smarter than the structure of Linux, smaller and more
> efficient, excepted of the filesystem and for multiuser systems I can't
> see any advantages for Linux (excepted of the political issue).
>
>> This is BAD for us, as this all has to be incorporated in the kernel,
>> either though direct support by some hardware manufacturers (very few)
>> or by reverse engineering. These kernel then has to be tested, and
>> ultimately be transformed by our RT kernel hackers to be a RT kernel
>> viable for real time audio work. Quite a process.
>>
>> All this says one thing - get tried and trusted hardware if you are only
>> going to build a single system. Check out our Greylist for advice:
>> http://www.64studio.com/node/69 . If you have the cash to try new
>> systems, do it and report back to the greylist.
>>
>
> That's the problem, I'm very poor, I bought hardware that was 100%
> perfect with a Windows DAW, Cubase with much more functionality than
> Linux has got, but I never liked Microsoft, that's why I only used
> Linux, resp. I couldn't get a DAW running, so a friend gave me the money
> to buy better hardware. I asked the list, I read
> http://www.64studio.com/node/69 and many posts in the internet and
> anyhow it seems that I bought the wrong hardware. I often got hardware
> with chipsets that are posted as fine with Linux, but it wasn't because
> of different revisions of the boards.
>
>> If you have a perfectly working system, please contribute to our
>> greylist with your working setup, and help other users to get their 64
>> Studio setups working out of the box.
>>
>> PS: There is no whitelist, because no hardware can be deemed fully
>> supported... It sometimes comes down to combinations as well. BUT,
>> generally all items marked as Grey can be considered fully or
>> satisfactorily supported.
>>
>> Cheers,Quentin
>
> If my mobo isn't fine, I only can try to find a better board, if there
> will be one with an integrated graphics around 50,-€.
>
> Because of my connections I can get a legal Cubase for my homestudio for
> free, so a Microsoft based DAW also will be less expensive for me.
> People say I'm an idiot, because I will use Linux because of ethical
> reasons.
>
> The problem with the hardware isn't just that the hardware companies are
> all evil, it's also because it's much easier to write drivers for
> Windows. I'm a coder and I'm not able to program more than "Hallo

There is an open call to hardware manufactures to provide the kernel
devs what they need to do the driver work for them. Greg KH has been
pushing this for years.

I also find coding for Linux much easier. The tools are already there,
for whatever Language I could want. Windows sucks as a devel platform.

> world!" for Linux, I'm jobless and could learn and program 24 hours a
> day, a professional coder has got only 8 hours a day.
>
> Even dedicated coders, Ardour, Rosegarden, have troubles with the make
> files, so for a hardware company the effort won't pay.

They don't have to do anything. The situation is not a technically
complex one. Most of the problems are legal and or social in nature.

> I'm not fine with saying Linux is better, without giving arguments what
> especially is better. Excepted of the ethical reasons, multi user sytems
> / servers and maybe safeness when using the internet and that there are
> a few good software that is expensive for MacOS and Windows, Linux will
> cause more trouble than MacOS and Windows will do.

It goes beyond ethics, but I have said that before.
>
> Anyway, today I've to test if the BIOS upgrade did change anything, if
> not I'll have to look for a new low-cost board with AM2 socket and if
> also a new board won't change anything, I have to change to Windows .
> The friend who gave me the money for the hardware I bought for Linux,
> only uses MacOS and Windows and he'll give me a gift if I stop wasting
> my time with Linux.

In your case that may be the right choice. Your hardware can and will
limit your software choices. This is nothing new. I paid this same
price when I was a Windows DAW user. I had a VIA chipset that was a
nightmare _under_Windows_ for audio work. It happens to everyone.

> I'm serious frustrated. I only have one friend who always tries Linux
> DAWs too. He installs latest Linux distros, set up DAWs, tested those
> DAWs and goes on making music with Windows, because he always has
> similar problems to mine. Instead of using Windows I compile and
> compile, check out repositories, try distros.
>
I do sympathise. I remember Cubase SX on my Windows 2000 machine, and
that pushed me over the edge to the FLOSS world. A big part of your
problem is expecting things to work exactly the same as before. This is
a different OS, with a very sophisticated kernel that was designed to do
things other than make music. Sometimes in the short term that gets in
our way, but in the end everyone tends to benefit from the work the
kernel guys do.

Also, a big part of your problem is all the constant compiling and
messing with the internals. Not once have you tried building a newer
kernel though. If you want to try and stick around, this is where the
drivers are, so there may be some bug fixes that pertain to you. Of
course the choice is still yours.

> Nearly every thing is fine with Linux when using Suse 11.0, but I can't
> get a DAW, at the moment with Suse 11.0 and 64 Studio 2.1 default and 64
> Studio Lenny. Not fine is the fax, because I've got a Linux compatible
> card, that's not Linux compatible, because of a chipset combination and
> because also of an USB device with bad Linux drivers. Sometimes an a/b
> box I've got isn't able to work as fax, sometimes it only can send fax
> and sometimes it works, that depends to the distros versions I used.
>
I should create a macro for this phrase: "it pays to do research, don't
assume anything". It may sound harsh but you didn't do proper due
diligence, and you are paying a price. I do not say this to be mean,
but I do believe that the entire world would benefit from a huge dose of
personal responsibility.

> Anyway, I'm not willing to write more about MacOS and Windows, I need

Probably a good idea on FLOSS based list. A lot of your comments tend
to inflame emotions, especially since you seem to be uninformed on some
very key issues. That is all I will say on this as it is way OT. I
hope you stay and I hope that things work out.

> informations about ways to get a stable Linux DAW with less, very less
> money, independent the situation if Windows and MacOs are better or more
> worse than Linux.

Buy better hardware. Regardless of the OS, if your hardware is crap
then everything afterwards is moot. This is true in the Windows world
too. I had an AMD K7 paired with a VIA chipset. Even switching to
Windows 2000 did not really solve the underlying issues with the
chipset, though my latencies got worse by an order of magnitude. I have
a friend who had to buy a new computer because the MOTU card he has
would not work on his AMD64 based motherboard.

The point is, for something this demanding, do your research.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFIvkYQwRXgH3rKGfMRAjzYAJ9o0Qf5DOhN1KKS+e9MjR 9wBxI7nQCgrDp3
z7O6hoKQoKJqVEik3tM+wLI=
=hvwM
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:47 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org