Old 09-02-2008, 12:14 PM
"Peter Geirnaert"

Default I'm again looking for a new mobo

Hi all,
IMHO this is an interesting topic, will someone make a wiki about hardware for (64studio) DAWs ?

I'm using used computers most of the time 'cause I don't want to spend money buying the wrong hardware again.
If I knew about certain pieces that guarantee good quality, I would save for it and buy it, like I did for my Delta1010.

Thanks to Ralf for his courage to keep wining about these frustrations, I hope there will be a wiki, or else I just start such a DAW hardware wiki on http://www.wikispaces.com. What do you think ?

Cheers
Peter

Old 09-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Peter Geirnaert wrote:
> Hi all,
> IMHO this is an interesting topic, will someone make a wiki about
> hardware for (64studio) DAWs ?
> I'm using used computers most of the time 'cause I don't want to spend
> money buying the wrong hardware again.
> If I knew about certain pieces that guarantee good quality, I would
> save for it and buy it, like I did for my Delta1010.
> Thanks to Ralf for his courage to keep wining about these
> frustrations, I hope there will be a wiki, or else I just start such a
> DAW hardware wiki on http://www.wikispaces.com. What do you think ?
> Cheers
> Peter

Hi Peter

LTNT, we should try to do so, but keep in mind, that there is a thread
in the forum http://www.64studio.com/node/69 and that there is the need
to poll sometimes, if it's allowed e.g. by asking the list quarterly.

I don't know anything about the free BASIC wikispace, maybe there should
be 4 linked wikis, to have enough space, or 2 just for AMD and INTEL,
maybe it's not clear if a specific hardware is 100% fine or 100% unusable.

I think most people will use AMDs, so there might be a wiki for

- AMD based setups that are fine with 64 Studio
- AMD based setups blacklist
- INTEL (and other) based setups that are fine with 64 Studio
- INTEL (and other) based setups blacklist

There won't be much other CPU based setups than AMD and INTEL and the
Debian port is called AMD64, so AMD seems to be more used.

And if possible there should be a kind of form, e.g for

- 64 Studio version(s)
- often used applications
- CPU socket (name, 32-bit or 64-bit, speed, number of cores, maybe
temperature)
- chipsets
- audio devices
- exceptions (even if 64 Studio is stable, there might be an application
that causes trouble)

What about the legal requirements? Can there be several administrators?
How can people post?

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 09-02-2008, 01:54 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Dave Phillips wrote:
> gForce 7600GS

Instead of buying a video card I tested 64 Studio. If my mobo will be
fine with the latest BIOS update, I guess it will be wiser to buy an
oldish from the 7 family, instead of running into trouble with one of
the newer low cost NVidia cards.

By the way, if someone or I will make a wiki, the mobo's slots and
connectors should be listed and if integrated devices are disabled or
enabled.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:02 PM
Ralf Mardorf

> GA-MA790FX-DQ6 Geforce 7300

Thank you it helps and does not at the same time . The mobo is an
expensive one, maybe those are better supported by the vendors. The BIOS
might be not only optimized for Windows, but also take care about Linux.

And again a 7 family NVidia card. They aren't expensive and seems to be
fine with 64 Studio.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:04 PM
Dave Phillips

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Dave Phillips wrote:
>
>> gForce 7600GS
>>

> Instead of buying a video card I tested 64 Studio. If my mobo will be
> fine with the latest BIOS update, I guess it will be wiser to buy an
> oldish from the 7 family, instead of running into trouble with one of
> the newer low cost NVidia cards.
>
> By the way, if someone or I will make a wiki, the mobo's slots and
> connectors should be listed and if integrated devices are disabled or
> enabled.

Good point. The on-board sound and video are disabled on my boards.

Best,

dp

Old 09-02-2008, 02:18 PM
Ralf Mardorf

> If you already have a processor with AM2 socket then maybe it's best to
> stick to that.

I have no choice, I have to keep the CPU, resp. I can't buy a new CPU
and other hardware, I only can buy one thing, for a longer time. With
less rotations of the fan my 45W CPU won't get warmer than around 40C.
The load is less than the load of AMD's EE CPUs. I think the AMD BE-2350
is a good CPU.

If I've to change the mobo, I wish to know which thermal compound is the
original that comes with the AMD box. I'm not fine with many thermal
compounds, I get allergic reactions, but I'm fine with the original AMD one.

If your CPU is broken by overheating, there might be a bad thermal
compound used or it wasn't used correct. Take care of this for your new CPU.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:35 PM
Ralf Mardorf

> Good point. The on-board sound and video are disabled on my boards.

I always run into trouble because of enabled on-board sound. Sometimes
there are no problems for a new Linux install, when on-board devices are
enabled, but it can happen, that from one day to the other there will be
a problem.

I used MPU-MIDI with my ASRock, than I run into trouble because of the
MPU-MIDI, after disabling it (the on-board audio device), some of my
problems disappeared.

The new board comes not only with on-board audio, I also have got a HDMI
PCIex card. I didn't used any of the devices (by the way the audio
devices are from Intel), everything was fine and suddenly I get trouble,
after disabling the audio devices this trouble disappeared.

For my old board I have a NVidia AGP card and no on-board graphics and
the new board runs with an enabled ATI by using the Vesa driver and the
main memory. This might be a source for errors when editing in
Rosegarden, maybe I should by a card, on the other hand, if I buy a
card, I have no money to buy another mobo, if there will be the need.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:38 PM
Ralf Mardorf

To quick with sending ...

For my old board I have a NVidia AGP card and no on-board graphics and the new board runs with an enabled *ON-BOARD ATI* by using the Vesa driver and the main memory. This might be a source for errors when editing in Rosegarden, maybe I should buy a card, on the other hand, if I buy a
card, I have no money to buy another mobo, if there will be the need.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:38 PM
Daniel James

Hi Ralf,

> How can people post?

I'd recommend starting a new thread in the computer hardware forum:

http://www.64studio.com/forum/4

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 09-02-2008, 02:52 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Daniel James wrote:
> Hi Ralf,
>
>> How can people post?
>
> I'd recommend starting a new thread in the computer hardware forum:
>
> http://www.64studio.com/forum/4
>
> Cheers!
>
> Daniel

I can't open a "whitelist" , resp. I could do a first empty post.

To have a better general view, it would be good to have a form.

64 Studio version

2.1

CPU

Cyrix MII-400GP

Etc.

Maybe a wikispace can sort entries by the alphabetical and numerical
order of the CPUs or mobos?!