-   -   Frustration - What can I do to get a stable Linux DAW? Is there a way to protocol audio sessions? (http://www.linux-archive.org/64-studio-user/151817-frustration-what-can-i-do-get-stable-linux-daw-there-way-protocol-audio-sessions.html)

Kevin Donnelly 08-31-2008 06:46 PM

Frustration - What can I do to get a stable Linux DAW? Is there a way to protocol audio sessions?

Hi Ralf

On Sunday 31 August 2008 19:08, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> I installed the 64 Studio Etch some days ago and didn't changed any
> dependencies, I only compiled jack_snapshot and today I changed to
> Rosegarden4 1.7.1, that's all.

You've certainly spent a lot of time writing posts instead of making music.

I think you probably need to wind back a bit. First of all, double-check your
PSU, memory, and hard disk. Random crashes are in my experience more often
due to flaky hardware (ie hardware that is not broken, but is about to
break). Even if everything works OK in Windows, that is no guarantee -
Windows isn't as picky as Linux. Use memcheck, or try a new hard disk, or
swap in another PSU.

If you're content that all is OK on that front, pick one distro, install it,
and *stick to it* - don't jump around between distros, or even flavours of
distros. DON'T change anything - on 64Studio, why do you need to compile
JACK or upgrade Rosegarden? 64Studio was put together specifically in order
to avoid your having to do that sort of thing. Get the basic, default distro
working solidly first, and *then* (in a few months) start experimenting.

One of the big problems with new Linux users is that they have itchy fingers -
just because you can upgrade from different repos or compile the latest point
release of something doesn't mean you should.

My main machine runs openSUSE, and the JAD distro worked fine on that, but
there were intermittent problems that turned out to be a bad disk. My music
machine (much lower spec) runs 64Studio, and it has worked fine so far.

--
Pob hwyl / Best wishes

Kevin Donnelly

www.cymraeg.org.uk - Welsh-English autotranslator