Old 09-01-2008, 05:44 AM
Gustin Johnson

Default Frustration - What can I do to get a stable Linux DAW? Is there a way to protocol audio sessions?

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Kevin Donnelly wrote:
>> You've certainly spent a lot of time writing posts instead of
>> making music.
>>

> Because I can't make music with Linux.

Obviously.

>> Random crashes are in my experience more often due to flaky
>> hardware (ie hardware that is not broken, but is about to break).
>> Even if everything works OK in Windows, that is no guarantee -
>> Windows isn't as picky as Linux. Use memcheck, or try a new hard
>> disk, or swap in another PSU.

> I changed my complete hardware, everything is new, only the soundcard
> isn't new, I can check it by a Hameg oscilloscope with a components
> tester, but I'm sure the soundcard is fine.

What sound card again? I have been using an RME PCI for a couple of
years, and I don't plan to change. It was an expensive card but it has
certainly been worth it.

> I'm using Rosegarden 1.7.1, because 1.7.0 isn't fine. My 64 Studio
> default install is a default install.

Then use the downgrade mentioned earlier. Going newer is not usually
the best choice.

>> 64Studio was put together specifically in order to avoid your
>> having to do that sort of thing. Get the basic, default distro
>> working solidly first, and *then* (in a few months) start
>> experimenting.
>>
> It's the default install. We, not only I, had troubles with
> Rosegarden 1.7.0, that's why 1.7.1 is in the backport since
> yesterday. There are no troubles with dependencies and nothing
> changed to 1.7.0, problems are the same.

That happens sometimes.

>> One of the big problems with new Linux users is that they have
>> itchy fingers - just because you can upgrade from different repos
>> or compile the latest point release of something doesn't mean you
>> should.
>
> I'm not really a full noob , more a semi-noob, but anyway, 64
> Studio is default.

For a lot of your posts this was not the case. Do not lump those self
imposed problems in with the default install of 64Studio.

>> My main machine runs openSUSE, and the JAD distro worked fine on
>> that,
>
> JAD comes with enlightenment 17 by default and enlightenment 17 isn't
> stable. Or is there a new JAD released, not using enlightenment?

I have never used these, but I am pretty sure you are not limited to
E17. I would be more than surprised to find out that E17 was the _only_
choice.

>> but there were intermittent problems that turned out to be a bad
>> disk. My music machine (much lower spec) runs 64Studio, and it has
>> worked fine so far.
>>
> By the way, some problems even must be there for you, e.g. Suse's
> Hydrogen has a patch, so that it is in better sync than the 64 Studio
> version is, when using Jack transport to sync Hydrogen and Ardour. I
> don't use Jack transport, so I don't have to compile the stable svn
> version of Hydrogen, but for some users this should be an argument to
> compile an application instead of using the default version of 64
> Studio.

This is always the case. If you are building a new version then make a
.deb package out of it. It will supersede your installed version. Of
course if there are a lot of dependencies that need updating, this may
not be an option.

> I'll change the RAM, check the soundcard and PSU and look for a new
> BIOS update. But if there will be such broken hardware, I must have
> crashes, also when using non-audio applications.

RT apps are really demanding, and can often expose bugs in the BIOS or
in the drivers themselves. I personally experienced this with my laptop.

> It might be interesting if somebody else has an ASUS M2A-VM HDMI, I
> especially bought the ASUS, because my old mobo is an ASRock, and I
> won't by an ASRock again.

I have this board and it sucks. It plays DVDs and and xvids for the TV,
running a vanilla install of Windows XP. Quite simply, I gave up trying
to make it work properly. It is the reason I now avoid AMD/ATI. Soon I
can ditch my HP laptop from hell (nVidia chipset, AMD CPU, and two years
of pain that I will not get back). In the face off all this, my 939
based AMD machines run flawlessly. If buying new there can be only Intel

It is almost stable under windows too. Low latency work blue screens
it, (memtest came up clean btw).

> It seems to be, that my hardware isn't broken and I'm using the
> default

Yes it is. It is broken by design.

> install, excepted Rosegarden. I can reinstall the default version
> 1.7.0. Maybe this will help.
>
> Thank you again . I still frustrated, because I don't think that my
> hardware is broken and the reinstall to 1.7.0 will be a help, but
> maybe I'm wrong.

Best of luck.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:04 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Hi

Before I read and answer your Mails, here is something I checked out.
I'm afraid that the BIOS for the mobo isn't fine with Linux, resp.
hopefully wasn't fine with Linux. I made an update today. My version was
from March and I now have a version from August.

My sound card is a TerraTec EWX 24/96 without the MIDI-Adapter-Kit, it's
Envy25-based. It seems to be fine. Might there be a setting for the
BIOS, that can effect the card, maybe for DMA, because of DMA buffer
latency settings?

Anyway, I have to read your mails later, here is what I did. Maybe
someone knows something about AMD CPU configurations, if not I'll search
the net for informations later.

I guess the last Memtest I run was before I updated the BIOS for my ASUS
M2A-VM HDMI. Actually I had (after the Memtest I udated the BIOS again)
version 1705 03/28/2008. As far as I remember I had a BIOS < version
1603 before I did the update to 1705.

1603 BIOS
1. Fixed that AM2 and AM2+ CPU enable ECC function fail.
2.Update Realtek PXE ROM to V2.08.
3.Enchance the compatibility of some memory.
4.Support BIOS downgraded protection.(To avoid the system BIOS can be
downgraded to BIOS before 1603).

1705 BIOS
The latest beta BIOS

I run Memtest86+ v1.65. WallTime 11:13:00, Test Std, Pass 16 was
running, Errors 0.

I checked the power. Vcore Voltage 1.21V, 3.3V Voltage 3.31V - 3.32V, 5V
Voltage 4.86V - 4.89V, 12V Voltage 12.03V.

Then I did an update for the BIOS from 1750 to 2001 08/05/2008.

1801 BIOS
1. Fix fail to resume from S3 with AMD 5000+ CPU issue.
2. Fix show wrong AM2+ CPU HT/NB frequency in BIOS.

1803 BIOS for M2A-VM/HDMI
1.Resolve fail to connect to internet after update LAN driver.
2.Modify Crashfree function fail problem.

2001 BIOS for M2A-VM/HDMI
Fix the problem that "Usable Memory" is unable to be detected completely
if using 4G memory and AMD triple CPU.

Again I run Memtest86+ v1.65. WallTime 00:11:00, Test Std, Pass 0 was at
44%, Errors 0.

I didn't check if there's still the LBA/CHS inconsistency for the IDE
and SATA II (the SATA II is new, only runs with the actual mobo and was
and is set to auto for the BIOS, such an inconsistency shouldn't have to
do with the troubles for "pro-audio" Linux).

For Memtest the RAM is still 200MHz, DDR400, even if the BIOS is set to
DDR2 800 (like the used RAMS are).

There are some settings for the BIOS, I don't understand.

PCIPnP > Resources Controlled By Auto (IRQ, DMA and memory base address
field are effected by this).

PCIPnP > PCI Latency Timer (CLK) 64 (by default).

PCIPnP > Maximum Playload Size 4096 (by default, RAM Size is 2048MB).

Advanced > CPU Frequency 200MHz (by default, that seems to be fine,
because the CPU cores are running correct at 2,1GHz, but 200MHz is the
clock that Memtest detected for the RAM).

In don't know what "Virtualisation", "C1E Support" and "Live!" means.
This is the default CPU Configuration:
AMD Virtualisation Enabled
AMD CPU C1E Support Disabled
AMD Live! Disabled
AMD Cool'n'Quiet Function Auto

I only changed settings I do understand, so I keep the default settings
for the CPU Configuration.

I can't find the originate Rosegarden sources for Rosegarden4 1.6.1.
Will e.g. this source code be fine:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/hardy/+source/rosegarden/1:1.6.1-1ubuntu1

I think a sourcecode still is a sourcecode.

Unstable for my 64 Studio (default Etch) seems to be Rosegarden and or
QSampler and or QjackCtl and or jackd.

Because Will is fine with Rosegarden 1.6.1 it might be wise to compile
it too, instead of using 1.7.0 or 1.7.1.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 09-01-2008, 01:11 PM
Ralf Mardorf

I will correct one of my typos: "Envy25-based" The card isn't using a
new chip, it's an Envy24.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:27 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Hi Arthur

thank you for this replay.

> Agnula

I tried to take a look to the project side, but can't get connected.

> I think that 64Studio is a great distribution

It seems to be the best Linux default DAW and so it is more worse, that
it isn't stable with my hardware.

> I can't run it because it is based on etch and my hardware is too new.

I'm afraid that I'm in the same situation. My old hardware was to week
for Linux DAWs and my new hardware might be to new. There nearly seems
to be monthly an update for my BIOS, but without any comments about Linux.

> The people who write the software for logic and cubase have full-time
> jobs writing code all day that pay well.

That's true and also Gerhard Lengeling C-Lab and Logic is a genius, even
if Steinberg has the better products since the Atari ST. I learned a lot
about MIDI programming by hacking his C64 software. Not as a software
thief, just as someone who wanted to learn about it. I'm not familiar
with programming for Linux, resp. multi user, real multi task systems,
so I can't say much about Linux, but the example with the missing mixer,
that should have aux channels, shows that some things has to be over
thought. Having aux channels will reduce the number of effects, because
one effect can be used more filigree for different audio sources.

> in the case of Rosegarden and Zynaddsubfx) that I don't know if they
> will function as intended from one release to the next or from one
> distro to the next or with the next version of jack or whatever and
> this, of course, is quite frustrating.

If I will get a stable Linux DAW, I wouldn't change it any more, I just
would test new Linux DAWs as a second install.

> Perhaps you and I have just had bad luck or some of the software is
> buggy with our particular hardware or a certain feature only works
> when the moon is full.

I can't test this, because I transform into a mouse when the moon is full.

> Linux is developing so quickly that it has got to be quite a chore for
> all of the developers to keep up. This affects not only audio programs
> but all of linux.

Yes, it's interesting to see distros like Suse, they are less stable,
but came with lot's of new surprises.

> In my opinion microsoft operating systems just aren't very good. I
> haven't run a mac since the days of OS9 and the 400 mghz iMac but if
> you look at their forums and mailing lists you'll see that they have
> their problems too.

I just have to do a little walk to a friend. For Macs there is a user
scene, that only use oldish MacOS. The trick with Microsoft seems to be,
that illegal versions, cracks seems to be stable.

> Now for some positive suggestions. I'm not a very good keyboard player
> but if I had spent half of the time that I spent on linux sequencing
> practicing the keyboard I'd be pretty good by now and I could just
> play the parts into Ardour. You can always just pick up an instrument
> and play.

I was a good musician and I'm not good any more. Okay, when playing more
again (I had a time out) I might become good again, but I'm near to easy
to play instruments like guitars. Using MIDI I'm a single handed
Zawinul, Worell etc., playing left and right hand not at the same time
can be adjusted by a MIDI event editor, but not for an audio track.

> two and a half year old boy, so instead of sitting him in front of a
> video and hacking away at the computer we went outside and planted
> strawberries, peppers and grapes.

I hope you'll do so. I'm a lone wolf with less friends, an autistic
freak. I go into the woods for long walks. I NEED the computer because
I'm varied interested. I have less money, but anyhow a lot of equipment
for all kinds of interests, BUT I haven't the room to use it all, my
flat is a storeroom. Thinking about drawing and painting, I like Magic
Color Ink, but it's very expensive and because I'm not in practise with
painting too and when using a brush instead of a tubular drawing pan, a
drawing easy can have an accident. Using the computer is less expensive
and offers to undo accidents and it needs less room than classic equipment.

> Because of my linux frustrations I now have strawberries, peppers and
> grapes. If those solutions don't appeal to you, I now have things
> working pretty well on Sidux. They have a nice rt kernel (not in the
> official repository) though I'm still looking forward to 64Studio 3.0.

I'm looking backwards at the moment. Many applications are fine with
Suse 11.0 and my 64 Studio upgraded to Lenny, many of those applications
won't run with 64 Studio 2.1 default Etch, but I reinstalled a 64 Studio
default install, because I guess that actual Linux applications aren't
stable for anyone, when in use for a DAW. I read that latest rt kernels
should have more MIDI jitter than any other kernels.

The Sidux homepage is not only available, it comes in different
languages as quick as if it were in the cache.
I first try to downgrade Rosegarden for 64 Studio and will test if
today's BIOS update has positive effect to 64 Studio.

> Ralf, I wish you lots of luck and thanks to 64Studio for doing such a
> great job with the resources available in linux.

Thank you again Arthur and compliment to the 64 Studio people for trying
hard to make a stable Linux DAW instead of supporting the latest beta
and svn hypes. Maybe I have a setup that is made for the forums blacklist.

Arthur, you seems to live in a sunny country , arable land for grapes
is rising because of the progressing climate change, but I don't think
you're from the Falklands. For children strawberries might not only be
better than computers, especially they are better for the imprinting of
the sense of taste, than all that grotesque artificial flavours.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 09-01-2008, 09:44 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Hi Gustin

> What sound card again? I have been using an RME PCI for a couple of
> years, and I don't plan to change. It was an expensive card but it has
> certainly been worth it.

The sound card is a TerraTec EWX 24/96, using Envy24. It's also a PCI
card and it seems to be fine with Linux. The only bad thing with PCI
cards might be, that they are to near to high frequency electric smog,
or maybe some cards them self does interfere their own audio signals.
For the TerraTec it's only herable at an amp volume that is overkill,
but it might have effect to the sound quality.

> > I'm using Rosegarden 1.7.1, because 1.7.0 isn't fine. My 64 Studio
> > default install is a default install.
>
> Then use the downgrade mentioned earlier. Going newer is not usually
> the best choice.

Yep, I'll do so.

> 64 Studio is default.
>
> For a lot of your posts this was not the case. Do not lump those self
> imposed problems in with the default install of 64Studio.

That's true, but at the moment I'm also not fine with the default 64
Studio. I'm able to run an unstable heavy setup and maybe it will be
possible to get a stable, but simple setup. I remember that my old
hardware was stable with 64 Studio 2.1rc1, but there were not enough
resources to make music, now there are enough resources, but more than
enough crashes too.

> >> My main machine runs openSUSE, and the JAD distro worked fine on
> >> that,
> > JAD comes with enlightenment 17 by default and enlightenment 17 isn't
> > stable. Or is there a new JAD released, not using enlightenment?
>
> I have never used these, but I am pretty sure you are not limited to
> E17. I would be more than surprised to find out that E17 was the _only_
> choice.

JAD is a real Suse, so you can use all Suse repositories. I think there
will be no other distro having such a great offer for software like Suse
and community repositories for Suse will offer. But you must have much
experience and good luck when using them, because they are most times
the newest of the new. That must not be bad, e.g. the actual svn of
Hydrogen, default for Suse repositories, comes with the patch, that will
sync Ardour and Hydrogen when using Jack transport, but for WM/DEs the
latest versions can be full of pitfalls. I only wonder that JAD should
be without troubles, while the default install comes with e17, a very
interesting DE, but also one that isn't stable, so it's a stupid choice
for a DAW and nobody can say JAD will be stable by default. You have to
change the DE and we were writing about not to change default installs.

> If you are building a new version then make a
> .deb package out of it. It will supersede your installed version. Of
> course if there are a lot of dependencies that need updating, this may
> not be an option.

I'm not able to build a package for Debian, here Suse has a big
advantage, instead of "make install" most times "checkinstall" is fine,
not instead of all "make install"s and not when compiling with exotic
compilers, but for most cases. "checkinstall" builds a RPM, a package
for Suse.

> > I'll [...] look for a new BIOS update
>
> RT apps are really demanding, and can often expose bugs in the BIOS or
> in the drivers themselves. I personally experienced this with my laptop.

There seems to be very often updates for my BIOS, since today I've got
the latest, but didn't run audio applications today. Unfortunately
there are no comments about Linux or my hardware for the updates.

> > It might be interesting if somebody else has an ASUS M2A-VM HDMI, I
> > especially bought the ASUS, because my old mobo is an ASRock, and I
> > won't by an ASRock again.
>
> I have this board and it sucks. It plays DVDs and and xvids for the TV,
> running a vanilla install of Windows XP.

I can't say something about this board and Windows by own experiences,
because I don't have a Windows. I disabled HDMI and I know that
Cinelerra is fine with Suse 11.0, but I don't know anything about xvids
for TV etc., the integrated graphics sucks, but there's still the PCIex
slot for a graphic card.

Isn't this board fine with Linux DAW applications or rt kernels?

> Quite simply, I gave up trying
> to make it work properly. It is the reason I now avoid AMD/ATI. Soon I
> can ditch my HP laptop from hell (nVidia chipset, AMD CPU, and two years
> of pain that I will not get back). In the face off all this, my 939
> based AMD machines run flawlessly. If buying new there can be only
> Intel
>
> It is almost stable under windows too. Low latency work blue screens
> it, (memtest came up clean btw).

I won't have enough money for a new mobo for a long time, resp. I will
spend 50,- EUR for a graphic card, maybe still this year. I don't think
I'll get a better mobo including a Linux compatible graphics for around
50,- EUR.

My ASRock was fine with Windows but not with Linux and all people say
that ASUS should be good for Linux, also someone from the list mentioned
this board, because of the price and because I needed better hardware
for Linux. Maybe you were the one . The problem is, that nobody knows
which hardware will be fine with Linux, unless it's oldish hardware,
that than might not have enough resources for Linux in the near future
or it is Intel hardware and not everybody has the money to buy Intel
hardware.

> > It seems to be, that my hardware isn't broken and I'm using the
> > default
>
> Yes it is. It is broken by design.

Is this the answer to the question above? "Isn't this board fine with
Linux DAW applications or rt kernels?"
That might also be an explanation for the reason why a Linux compatible
controller I bought and gave back by warranty, but with loss of money,
wasn't compatible with Linux for my hardware.

So I bought hardware that wasn't fine for a Linux DAW and spend again
money for hardware that also isn't fine for Linux DAWs?

> Best of luck.

Thank you , I hope the latest BIOS update has solved the troubles :S,
if not Bill Gates seems to have good luck, resp. if so, it's to consider
which way I'll go, if there isn't another way for me, than to use
Windows. Bill Gates shouldn't benefit from my suffering.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 09-01-2008, 10:37 PM
Gustin Johnson

Ralf Mardorf wrote:

>> 64 Studio is default.
>>
>> For a lot of your posts this was not the case. Do not lump those self
>> imposed problems in with the default install of 64Studio.
>
> That's true, but at the moment I'm also not fine with the default 64
> Studio. I'm able to run an unstable heavy setup and maybe it will be
> possible to get a stable, but simple setup. I remember that my old
> hardware was stable with 64 Studio 2.1rc1, but there were not enough
> resources to make music, now there are enough resources, but more than
> enough crashes too.

>>> JAD comes with enlightenment 17 by default and enlightenment 17 isn't
>>> stable. Or is there a new JAD released, not using enlightenment?
>> I have never used these, but I am pretty sure you are not limited to
>> E17. I would be more than surprised to find out that E17 was the _only_
>> choice.
>
> JAD is a real Suse, so you can use all Suse repositories. I think there
> will be no other distro having such a great offer for software like Suse
> and community repositories for Suse will offer. But you must have much
> experience and good luck when using them, because they are most times
> the newest of the new. That must not be bad, e.g. the actual svn of
> Hydrogen, default for Suse repositories, comes with the patch, that will
> sync Ardour and Hydrogen when using Jack transport, but for WM/DEs the
> latest versions can be full of pitfalls. I only wonder that JAD should
> be without troubles, while the default install comes with e17, a very
> interesting DE, but also one that isn't stable, so it's a stupid choice
> for a DAW and nobody can say JAD will be stable by default. You have to
> change the DE and we were writing about not to change default installs.

E17 has been stable for me for more than a year. YMMV.

>> If you are building a new version then make a
>> .deb package out of it. It will supersede your installed version. Of
>> course if there are a lot of dependencies that need updating, this may
>> not be an option.
>
> I'm not able to build a package for Debian, here Suse has a big
> advantage, instead of "make install" most times "checkinstall" is fine,
> not instead of all "make install"s and not when compiling with exotic
> compilers, but for most cases. "checkinstall" builds a RPM, a package
> for Suse.

Your choice. The howto is pretty easy to follow.

>>> I'll [...] look for a new BIOS update
>> RT apps are really demanding, and can often expose bugs in the BIOS or
>> in the drivers themselves. I personally experienced this with my laptop.
>
> There seems to be very often updates for my BIOS, since today I've got
> the latest, but didn't run audio applications today. Unfortunately
> there are no comments about Linux or my hardware for the updates.
>
>>> It might be interesting if somebody else has an ASUS M2A-VM HDMI, I
>>> especially bought the ASUS, because my old mobo is an ASRock, and I
>>> won't by an ASRock again.
>> I have this board and it sucks. It plays DVDs and and xvids for the TV,
>> running a vanilla install of Windows XP.
>
> I can't say something about this board and Windows by own experiences,

It sucked under linux, and it sucks a little less under windows.

> because I don't have a Windows. I disabled HDMI and I know that
> Cinelerra is fine with Suse 11.0, but I don't know anything about xvids
> for TV etc., the integrated graphics sucks, but there's still the PCIex
> slot for a graphic card.
>
> Isn't this board fine with Linux DAW applications or rt kernels?
>
>> Quite simply, I gave up trying
>> to make it work properly. It is the reason I now avoid AMD/ATI. Soon I
>> can ditch my HP laptop from hell (nVidia chipset, AMD CPU, and two years
>> of pain that I will not get back). In the face off all this, my 939
>> based AMD machines run flawlessly. If buying new there can be only
>> Intel
>>
>> It is almost stable under windows too. Low latency work blue screens
>> it, (memtest came up clean btw).
>
> I won't have enough money for a new mobo for a long time, resp. I will
> spend 50,- EUR for a graphic card, maybe still this year. I don't think
> I'll get a better mobo including a Linux compatible graphics for around
> 50,- EUR.

That is unfortunate. The MB is more important than the video card.
Intel is currently the better choice, especially with integrated Intel
video (it works out of the box). I remember saying as much when you
were looking to purchase.

> My ASRock was fine with Windows but not with Linux and all people say
> that ASUS should be good for Linux, also someone from the list mentioned
> this board, because of the price and because I needed better hardware
> for Linux. Maybe you were the one . The problem is, that nobody knows
> which hardware will be fine with Linux, unless it's oldish hardware,
> that than might not have enough resources for Linux in the near future
> or it is Intel hardware and not everybody has the money to buy Intel
> hardware.

With all things being equal, the chipset is more important than the name
on the sticker. I do tend to buy ASUS motherboards, but I also pay
attention to the chipsets on the particular board I am buying.

>>> It seems to be, that my hardware isn't broken and I'm using the
>>> default
>> Yes it is. It is broken by design.
>
> Is this the answer to the question above? "Isn't this board fine with
> Linux DAW applications or rt kernels?"

I have had nothing but trouble with this chipset. So I avoid it. I
recommend others do the same. I did not try an RT kernel with it, it
was a headache on a standard kernel. Best to avoid it if you can.

> That might also be an explanation for the reason why a Linux compatible
> controller I bought and gave back by warranty, but with loss of money,
> wasn't compatible with Linux for my hardware.

Not sure.

> So I bought hardware that wasn't fine for a Linux DAW and spend again
> money for hardware that also isn't fine for Linux DAWs?

Yes, you bought a motherboard that does not work very well. I was not
using it for a DAW and I had a lot of problems. That is why I gave it away.

> Thank you , I hope the latest BIOS update has solved the troubles :S,
> if not Bill Gates seems to have good luck, resp. if so, it's to consider
> which way I'll go, if there isn't another way for me, than to use
> Windows. Bill Gates shouldn't benefit from my suffering.

It will take a combination of BIOS patches and support from newer
kernels to solve your problems. It could be a while. If you really are
impatient you may wish to learn how to patch and compile your own
kernel. Otherwise, wait.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:04 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Gustin Johnson wrote:
> E17 has been stable for me for more than a year. YMMV.

I'm not up-to-date.

> > I'm not able to build a package for Debian
> > "checkinstall" builds a RPM, a package for Suse.
>
> Your choice. The howto is pretty easy to follow.

It seems not to be very easy.
http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/
But I'll try to build a .deb when compiling Rosegarden 1.6.1.

> It sucked under linux, and it sucks a little less under windows.

I heard of trouble with Windows for a multimedia machine a friend build
up, but this seems to be solved. Excepted from you and me, I don't know
someone using it with Linux. For Windows the friend just needed a gfx card.

> That is unfortunate. The MB is more important than the video card.
> Intel is currently the better choice, especially with integrated Intel
> video (it works out of the box). I remember saying as much when you
> were looking to purchase.

I only can try to get another mobo with an integrated graphics, that can
use the Athlon BE-2350 and DDRII RAM for around 50,- EUR.

I e.g. found a Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4, but how should I know if e.g. this
one is fine with any Linux DAW?
I'll ask the list .

> I have had nothing but trouble with this chipset. So I avoid it. I
> recommend others do the same. I did not try an RT kernel with it, it
> was a headache on a standard kernel. Best to avoid it if you can.

The ASUS M2A-VM HDMI is fine for Linux non-DAW-applications when using
Suse 11.0, my Suse 11.0 only runs with a RT kernel. Suse only is
unstable for Rosegarden 1.6.1 and 1.7.0, resp. maybe the fault is up to
Jack, any other applications are fine, that means also QSampler, resp.
there are some applications not available for 64 Studio that are
unstable for Suse, that's why I guess that 64 Studio has a good
assortment of stable software.

If the main-fault is up to the board, than my board only isn't fine with
Rosegarden and or Jack for Suse and with Rosegarden and or Jack and or
QSampler for 64 Studio.

Okay, the integrated graphics only runs with the Vesa driver for Suse
and 64 Studio.

Suse runs stable with applications like Cinelerra and the Mozillas, 64
Studio isn't stable for applications like Cinelerra (I'm talking about
my computer), but it's also fine for the Mozillas, Gimp etc..

> Yes, you bought a motherboard that does not work very well. I was not
> using it for a DAW and I had a lot of problems. That is why I gave it
> away.

As I wrote, it's fine with any other Linux application I'm using, that
also is available for Etch and even Lenny, when using Suse 11.0 and I
only use RT kernels, but as I wrote too, I'll try to get another mobo,
resp. I'll test the latest BIOS update for the ASUS.

> > Thank you , I hope the latest BIOS update has solved the troubles :S,
> > if not Bill Gates seems to have good luck, resp. if so, it's to consider
> > which way I'll go, if there isn't another way for me, than to use
> > Windows. Bill Gates shouldn't benefit from my suffering.
>
> It will take a combination of BIOS patches and support from newer
> kernels to solve your problems. It could be a while. If you really are
> impatient you may wish to learn how to patch and compile your own
> kernel. Otherwise, wait.

The Suse RT kernel is 2.6.25.11-0.1-rt, I heard that RT kernels >=
2.6.26 can't be used because there should be to much MIDI jitter.

Maybe I only need another sequencer than Rosegarden. I was fine with
Reaper, but MIDI jitter is to extreme, maybe because of wine. I didn't
found a Linux alternative to Rosegarden. LMMS, Seq24, Muse etc. are no
alternative for me, resp. I might take a look at the latest versions.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 09-02-2008, 09:00 AM
Gustin Johnson