Old 08-25-2008, 12:37 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default K3b - A problem I noticed when I burned the install image for 64 Studio 2.1

Hi

I recommend to make sure that the burned install image has got the
correct Md5 sum, when it was burned by K3b. I burned it 2 times with to
different K3b. Both K3b returned an error after doing the verifying. I
searched by Google for those errors and get informed, that K3b isn't a
safe burning tool since about 2 years any more, resp. they say it's
still safe, verification errors can be ignored. I made ISOs of the
burned DVDs and checked the Md5 sum of those ISOs. The DVD I burned
with my 64 Studio Lenny had an invalid checksum and the DVD I burned
with Suse 11.0 has a correct checksum. The internet informations say,
that there seems to be no worry about those verification errors, all
media will be burned correctly, but I can say that is not true. Maybe
one of the DVDs was bad because of an defect DVD and not because K3b
burned it incorrect, but that's exactly why the burned media should be
checked.

OT: 64 Studio 2.1 is installed, I won't do any changes like an upgrade
to Lenny as I did with my last installation. I get to the point, when 64
Studio upgraded to Lenny and Suse 11.0 will crash, when I only try to
connect all applications I need by QJackCtl. Resources of my computer
are fine, but Lenny's and Suse's audio applications seems to "think"
it's not like that.

Cross your fingers! I hope I can complete the song I started when using
a default installation of 64 Studio, resp. I'll need some applications
that aren't default, but I will install them without changing any
dependencies to Lenny's versions or something like that.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 08-25-2008, 01:08 PM
Tapani Sysimetsä

Hi,

Which burner application would you recommend then?

Regards,

Tapani

Old 08-25-2008, 01:31 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Tapani Sysimetsä wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Which burner application would you recommend then?
>
> Regards,
>
> Tapani

I'm only fine with K3b. Some people seems to have no error messages,
when K3b does the verifying and other people ignore the error messages,
if they always will get some, because there seems to be a bug for the
verifying but not for the burning. I won't do backups any more by K3b, I
simply backup from hard disk to hard disk and if DVD-RAM is fine with a
Linux, I do backups on DVD-RAM. I check installing images by the Md5 sum
after burning them. Because I don't know how to do this directly, I make
images of the burned DVDs and check them as usual, e.g. by K3b .

Maybe there are some ways to solve the problem. I didn't read whole
threads because I try to get a stable Linux DAW at the moment and not a
stable K3b.

The verifying errors are like "Written data in track 1 differs from
original." or "Internal Error: Verification job improperly initialized
(specified track number not found on medium)".

Don't you get such errors when K3b verifies a burned ISO?

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 08-25-2008, 01:51 PM
Tapani Sysimetsä

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Don't you get such errors when K3b verifies a burned ISO?

Well, I have a bad habit of (almost) never verifying them afterwards.

Sometimes burning with K3B fails but succeeds with Gnomebaker - and vice
versa. Mostly they are both fine, though.

Tapani

Old 08-25-2008, 02:02 PM
Folderol

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 16:51:33 +0300
Tapani Sysimetsä <tapani.sysimetsa@rokki.net> wrote:

> Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > Don't you get such errors when K3b verifies a burned ISO?
> >

> Well, I have a bad habit of (almost) never verifying them afterwards.
>
> Sometimes burning with K3B fails but succeeds with Gnomebaker - and vice
> versa. Mostly they are both fine, though.
>
> Tapani

Generally I have no problems with K3B but there is a 'gotcha' when the
material you are burning is from your normal user space. K3B writes
information inside .kde (and other places) during the write process, so
when it tries to perform the verification it will *always* find an
error. However, if you first tell it to just make an ISO file, and then
in a second operation burn that ISO, you will find there are no errors.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk

Old 08-25-2008, 02:08 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Tapani Sysimetsä wrote:
> Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
>> Don't you get such errors when K3b verifies a burned ISO?
>>

> Well, I have a bad habit of (almost) never verifying them afterwards.
>
> Sometimes burning with K3B fails but succeeds with Gnomebaker - and vice
> versa. Mostly they are both fine, though.
>
> Tapani

Hi Tapani

in most cases it will be okay not to verify a burned media. As I've
written, "normally" a media is fine, even if K3b's verifying returns an
error and that's why I also often don't check burned ISOs too, even if
it's a Live-CD for GParted, I often don't verified the burned media.

Because I try to get a stable Linux DAW I check and document nearly
every step I make. And one of the burned ISOs for 64 Studio 2.1 had a
wrong Md5 sum. I'll take a look at Gnomebaker and vice versa, I don't
know those applications. I think they will be backends for the same
commands K3b will use.

Thank you for this information.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 08-25-2008, 02:18 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Folderol wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 16:51:33 +0300
> Tapani Sysimetsä <tapani.sysimetsa@rokki.net> wrote:
>

>> Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>>
>>> Don't you get such errors when K3b verifies a burned ISO?
>>>

>> Well, I have a bad habit of (almost) never verifying them afterwards.
>>
>> Sometimes burning with K3B fails but succeeds with Gnomebaker - and vice
>> versa. Mostly they are both fine, though.
>>
>> Tapani
>>

> Generally I have no problems with K3B but there is a 'gotcha' when the
> material you are burning is from your normal user space. K3B writes
> information inside .kde (and other places) during the write process, so
> when it tries to perform the verification it will *always* find an
> error. However, if you first tell it to just make an ISO file, and then
> in a second operation burn that ISO, you will find there are no errors.

I know this and that's why I burned backups always from another Linux,
so this error won't occur, but there seems to be a bug. I burned the 64
Studio ISO 2 times, both times I get errors and only one burned version
was invalid, the other version is fine, I checked it by Md5. When I
searched with Google I found treads where people knows this problem and
they ignore it, because K3b makes no error when burning, it only seems
to be a bug for verifying, but in my case there might be a broken DVD.

The verifying errors are like "Written data in track 1 differs from
original." or "Internal Error: Verification job improperly initialized
(specified track number not found on medium)".

I won't read more about that, because I will configure the new default installation of 64 Studio 2.1 and go on with my song, assumed that this will be a stable DAW.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 08-25-2008, 02:25 PM
Ralf Mardorf

"I won't read more about that, because I will configure the new default
installation of 64 Studio 2.1 and go on with my song, assumed that this
will be a stable DAW."

Maybe I'll read more threads in the web about this, after I have solved
my troubles with Linux as a DAW, but not at the moment, except mails
from the list, don't get me wrong, I'll read all emails from you.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:36 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Folderol wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 16:18:08 +0200
> Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>

>> I won't read more about that, because I will configure the new default installation of 64 Studio 2.1 and go on with my song, assumed that this will be a stable DAW.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Ralf
>>

> I've been using this version since it was released, on a dual core
> athlon with no problems

I have an Athlon dual core too, but Finagles Law be on my tail.