Old 08-23-2008, 07:24 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default Take2: LiveMix is running but the GUI makes trouble

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> http://www.linux-archive.org/64-studio-developer/47357-livemix.html
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/de/hardy/amd64/livemix/download
> http://fr.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/l/livemix/livemix_0.49~rc2-0ubuntu3_amd64.deb
>
> 64studio:/home/spinymouse/Desktop# dpkg --install
> livemix_0.49~rc2-0ubuntu3_amd64.deb
> Selecting previously deselected package livemix.
> (Reading database ... 259119 files and directories currently installed.)
> Unpacking livemix (from livemix_0.49~rc2-0ubuntu3_amd64.deb) ...
> Setting up livemix (0.49~rc2-0ubuntu3) ...
> Processing triggers for menu ...
> Processing triggers for man-db ...
>
> I can run that Ubuntu version on my 64 Studio KDE 3.5.9, but the Window
> is to large to get all functions. QJackCtl shows the clients, but I
> didn't test if it really works, because of the bad GUI.

Hi

the problem with the GUI is solved by using the hide functions, the
mixer worked, but while trying to set the Reverb it crashes. I've to say
that my 64 Studio upgraded to Lenny isn't stable and maybe it's not all
right to use a package that is build for Ubuntu.

Can somebody please test if it will run with a default installation of
64 Studio 2.1 64-bit?

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 08-24-2008, 01:18 AM
Ralf Mardorf

> > Hi
>
> > the problem with the GUI is solved by using the hide functions, the
> > mixer worked, but while trying to set the Reverb it crashes. I've to =
say
> > that my 64 Studio upgraded to Lenny isn't stable and maybe it's not a=
ll

> This should not surprise you. There is a reason I leave the stable
> version alone on the machine that gets things done.
>
> > right to use a package that is build for Ubuntu.
>
> (the short short version)
> It depends.
>
> (the short version)
> Ubuntu essentially takes a limited snapshot of Debian unstable and then=

> works to make it stable. So, sometimes this will work, sometimes not.

Hi Gustin hi list

Mixer report - Wish list for 64 Studio 3.0

I recommend to include LiveMix, if it's stable and jack_snapshot into 64 =

Studio 3.0.

Here's the reason why. I tested some mixers and than I tried to solve the=
problem without a mixer featuring aux channels.

jack_mixer
- the Jack client name is "jack_mixer-[PID]", having the PID in the=20
client's name isn't good, when using jack_snapshot
- it comes with faders and pan pots, that's ideal

jackmaster
- the Jack client name always is "jackmaster", that enables=20
jack_snapshot to store and restore connections
- it comes with stereo faders that only can be used as gang, this is=20
only fine because I'll use the mixer as pseudo stereo aux channels

jackmix
- the jack client name always is "JackMix"
- pots for left and right, that can't be used as gang, not useable to=20
mix intuitive

jackmixdesk_gtk
- I can't run it, there seems to be the need to read about LASH to launch=
it

Some mixers seems to be able to name the channels, some aren't able and=20
jackmaster auto-names the channels. I ignore the possibility if it's=20
able to fit the number of channels to the needs and if there is a way to =

control the mixer by MIDI.

My choice is jackmaster.

The mixing without effects for the subgroups is done by Rosegarden's=20
mixer for the DSSI plugins and QSampler, automation is done by sending=20
MIDI controllers to the virtual instruments.

_QJackCtl_

The dry sound

In some cases there will be the need to use Rosegarden's submasters also =

for the dry signals, but not for this issue

rosegarden master out L --> jamin in_L
rosegarden master out R --> jamin in_R

LinuxSampler 0 --> jamin in_L
LinuxSampler 1 --> jamin in_R

To compensate the missing aux channels for the subgroups (in some cases=20
for single tracks, resp. instruments) and because QSampler is outside of =

Rosegarden, there is the need to do confusing connections for the audio=20
signals that have to be send to the reverb.

Pseudo auxs sends

rosegarden submaster 1 out L --> jackmaster in-a-l
rosegarden submaster 1 out R --> jackmaster in-a-r

rosegarden submaster 2 out L --> jackmaster in-b-l
rosegarden submaster 2 out R --> jackmaster in-b-r

LinuxSampler 0 --> jackmaster in-c-l
LinuxSampler 1 --> jackmaster in-c-r

jackmaster sub-a-l --> jack_rack_[PID] in_1
jackmaster sub-a-r --> jack_rack_[PID] in_2

No pseudo aux return by not using JackMaster's in-d and sub-b, in some=20
cases it might be needed to have a pseudo aux return by connecting to=20
Jack Rack again, e.g. even 64 Studio upgraded to Lenny has no Jack Rack/G=
Verb versions with a master output volume fader.

jack_rack_[PID] gverb_1-1_o1 --> jamin in_L
jack_rack_[PID] gverb_1-2_o1 --> jamin in_R

The output

JAMin should be inserted into a master stereo sum of an ideal virtual=20
mixer, but instead

jamin out_L --> system playback_1
jamin out_R --> system playback_2

The main mix volume control will be DAC 0 and DAC 1 of Envy24 control.

The connections for jack_rack can't be done by jack_snapshot.

Instead of using a single mixer application, there is the need to use 4=20
applications for this example.

MIDI controllers
Rosegarden's mixer
JackMaster
GVerb's fader for the output sum, doing more connections for Jack, to=20
get a pseudo aux return, it will be 3 applications

Because of crashes I only was able to do this with Rosegarden's master=20
out, also for the pseudo auxs sends, instead of the submasters, that are =

needed. Instead of my broken 64 Studio, it's broken because I made an=20
upgrade to Debian's testing, I was using the "stable" Suse 11.0.

I will do a new installation of 64 Studio 2.1, but I don't think a set up=
like I described it will be much more stable after doing this. Rosegarde=
n seems to be =20
invalid running together with Jack on my new hardware.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 08-24-2008, 02:20 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Oops, I wrote blah @ "even 64 Studio upgraded to Lenny has no Jack
Rack/GVerb versions with a master output volume fader", indeed there's
no version having this, when the dry signal is unwanted.