-   -   Doe's this be a problem of the software or the hardware? (http://www.linux-archive.org/64-studio-user/146859-does-problem-software-hardware.html)

Ralf Mardorf 08-22-2008 09:26 AM

Doe's this be a problem of the software or the hardware?

Hi :)

I don't know where to look because of the following problem. Maybe it's
neither the software nor the hardware, but trouble because of wrong
settings.

Rosegarden is unstable on my computer and that seems not depend on the
upgraded 64 Studio, that declared isn't as stable as a default 64
Studio. It doesn't matter if I'm using Rosegarden using Fluidsynth-DSSIs
with Suse or 64 Studio. Even if only QJackCtl and Rosegarden are
running, very-very often there appears a message telling me that Jack
disconnected all clients and that Rosegarden might be run more stable if
I'll close some applications. There's less than 1/3 of the RAM used,
nearly no CPU load and no swap in use, there are no applications that
can be closed, resp. if running htop too the error occurs more often
(than very-very often), but it won't occurs more often, if I'm running
QSampler too. I'm not able to use the LADSPA plugin Retro Flanger (I
didn't test other FX plugins), if I do so this error occurs nearly always.

Most times before I get this error, Rosegarden stops and the mouse
cursor shows that something is in progress, while a hard disk also has
to do a lot of work.

It happens while playing a Fluidsynth-DSSI or editing something in
Rosegarden or if I let run the computer over night with Rosegarden
opened but with nothing to do.

There are no messages for the Konsole, no seg faults.

I guess it could be the integrated ATI. I'm using the Vesa driver and
128MB from the 2GB RAM are used as the ATI's frame buffer. Another idea
is, that the BIOS or some motherboard components aren't fine with the
RAMs or the sound card.

Is such a behaviour known because of an unstable Linux or because of
troubles with the hardware for a stable Linux?

Cheers,
Ralf