FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > 64 Studio > 64 Studio User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-16-2008, 08:09 AM
Ralf Mardorf
 
Default Application to dump SysEx

Is there a single application to dump SysEx data for sounds, effect
settings etc.? I guess I should transmit all my sounds etc. from the
C64, Atari and especially from my instruments and effects (as long as
the batteries are still fine) to Linux.

Ralf

_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users
 
Old 08-16-2008, 09:34 AM
Emiliano Grilli
 
Default Application to dump SysEx

Saturday, 16 August 2008 alle 10:09:17, Ralf Mardorf ha scritto:
> Is there a single application to dump SysEx data for sounds, effect
> settings etc.? I guess I should transmit all my sounds etc. from the
> C64, Atari and especially from my instruments and effects (as long as
> the batteries are still fine) to Linux.

See amidi(1)
It should do what you need.

> Ralf

HTH
Ciao
--
Emiliano Grilli
Linux user #209089
http://www.emillo.net

_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users
 
Old 08-16-2008, 09:35 AM
Folderol
 
Default Application to dump SysEx

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 10:09:17 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> Is there a single application to dump SysEx data for sounds, effect
> settings etc.? I guess I should transmit all my sounds etc. from the
> C64, Atari and especially from my instruments and effects (as long as
> the batteries are still fine) to Linux.
>
> Ralf
>

Try Simple Sysexxer by Chistoph Eckert
His home page is:

http://christeck.de/

This requires QT4

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk

_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users
 
Old 08-16-2008, 09:57 AM
Malte Steiner
 
Default Application to dump SysEx

totally OT but:
>
>> C64, Atari and especially from my instruments and effects (as long as
>> the batteries are still fine) to Linux.
take care about that one! Its an underestimated danger to your hardware
equipment. Making electronic music since the 80s I have quite some
instruments and recently started to exchange all batterys before they
leak and destroy the circuits. They don't need to be empty powerwise to
start to leak, actually only my Boss SE50 lost his patches during all
these years. Exchanging batteries is not that difficult but might
require some soldering because the manufactures tend to be cheap and
just solder them in instead of having a proper holder. It amazed me that
I even still can get a battery for the ages old Sequential Circuits
Sixtrak at electronics store, in this case Conrad.

A lot of Roland CR-78 Rhythmboxes are out there which can only produce
Hihat sounds because nobody cared or expect a battery to backup the
custom patterns.

Cheers,

Malte


--
----
media art + development
http://www.block4.com

new release:
free open source softwaresynth Minicomputer for Linux
http://minicomputer.sourceforge.net/

_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users
 
Old 08-16-2008, 05:06 PM
Ralf Mardorf
 
Default Application to dump SysEx

Malte Steiner wrote:
> totally OT but:
>
>>> C64, Atari and especially from my instruments and effects (as long as
>>> the batteries are still fine) to Linux.
>>>
> take care about that one! Its an underestimated danger to your hardware
> equipment. Making electronic music since the 80s I have quite some
> instruments and recently started to exchange all batterys before they
> leak and destroy the circuits. They don't need to be empty powerwise to
> start to leak, actually only my Boss SE50 lost his patches during all
> these years. Exchanging batteries is not that difficult but might
> require some soldering because the manufactures tend to be cheap and
> just solder them in instead of having a proper holder. It amazed me that
> I even still can get a battery for the ages old Sequential Circuits
> Sixtrak at electronics store, in this case Conrad.
>
> A lot of Roland CR-78 Rhythmboxes are out there which can only produce
> Hihat sounds because nobody cared or expect a battery to backup the
> custom patterns.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Malte
>

Thank you Emiliano thank you Will

I'll take a look at amidi and Sysexxer, Qt 4 isn't a problem, I'm using
64 Studio upgraded to Lenny and Suse 11.0 with KDE 4.0.4.

Hi Malta

thank you, thank you, thank you for your warning !

I'm fine with soldering but I didn't thought about that those kinds of
batteries and accumulators also can leak. The first thing I've done is
to take a look at the remote control of my Sony DAT recorder, I can't
use the DAT recorder since years because it's defect, but maybe the day
will come when I can repair it. The "normal" batteries in the DAT
recorder's remote control are okay, but the batteries in some of my
synth might be much older. I should take a look at all units this year.

I opened a 2 bank RAM cartridge for the DX7. The case isn't broken, only
4 pins inside are broken. It's too funny, the RAM is a HM6264LP-15. Once
the cartridge is opened, I'm thinking about to change the RAM by an
EPROM bank or another RAM .

By the way, the battery a maxell CR2032 older than 16 years was lately
still okay. Some minutes ago I soldered it out and the multimeter says
3.06V when not under load. Under load of a LED it's still 2.24V. Maybe
it's not the battery, the DX7 message says something about a wrong
formated cartridge and sound names were confused ASCII signs.

Malte if you buy more than just a battery, you should compare prices
between www.conrad.de and www.reichelt.de. I prefer to order by
Reichelt. I haven't the money for Sequential. One of my favourites is
the revision of the Prophet 5 a friend has got, he got spare parts from
wine country. The problem with old synth seems to be to get the right
revision. Yesterday I read that hexter should sound like a real DX7,
compared to my DX7 hexter sounds like a Bontempi and I heard of
Minimoogs that shouldn't be usable. There should be a list with serial
numbers of god and bad synth revisions. The Sixtrak battery costs 15,-
USD + some USD for shipping I think, at wine country,
http://www.winecountrysequential.com/page17.html.

I hope I can start to make my first real song with Linux, without
troubles any more, therefore I will use virtual synth, but writing about
that old synth I get back the passion to use some old synths. I'm a
guitarist without MIDI pickup, but my Matrix-1000 has a special guitar mode.

Cheers,
Ralf

_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users
 
Old 08-16-2008, 05:35 PM
Ralf Mardorf
 
Default Application to dump SysEx

Hi again Malte

> A lot of Roland CR-78 Rhythmboxes are out there which can only produce
> Hihat sounds because nobody cared or expect a battery to backup the
> custom patterns.
>

Now that I have all those TR samples I'm still missing something,
listening to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Cr78.ogg and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Blondie_Heart_Of_Glass_(Intro).ogg
I've found what I need.

Does you or anybody know a .sf2 or .gig?

Cheers,
Ralf


_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users
 
Old 08-16-2008, 06:17 PM
Malte Steiner
 
Default Application to dump SysEx

Check out this one

http://samples.kb6.de/

loads of samples from all kind of drumcomputers.

>>Malte if you buy more than just a battery, you should compare prices
>>between www.conrad.de and www.reichelt.de. I prefer to order by
>>Reichelt.

You are right but it was a kind of impulsive act. I wanted to do it for
10 years and recently decided if I dont do it now I would never so I
needed a shop to walk in and get the stuff imedietly. The battery for
Sixtrak was 3 euro there.

>>I haven't the money for Sequential. One of my favourites is
>>the revision of the Prophet 5

Yeah I bought it second hand in the late 80s/beginning of the 90s where
you get the analogue stuff for real cheap because nobody cared, everyone
except me loved the Korg M1 with hundreds of natural rom samples, not my
way I use synthesizers. Meanwhile Ebay and the collectors ruined the
market and actually I wouldn't buy vintage equipment now, at least not
analogue ones. The prices are crazy and then there is the maintenance
costs. But digital synths and samplers are rather cheap and sometimes
even worth it. For Prophet 5 I would look for the recent Prophet 8 by
Dave Smith Instruments, the closest thing you can get now.

I still believe in hardware instruments although in my studio I use
everything, analogue, digital and software based stuff, as you might
already seen in my footer, I create softwaresynths on my own.

On the other hand the instrument industry is not very healthy at the
moment and everything commercial available tend to be boring. Dont get
me started on VST plugins but I hate the most of it. Its incredible, we
got now the possibility to create virtual synthesizers with endless
possibilities but everything sounds the same, following a certain idea
how synths should sound, very conservative. Many possibilities are
hidden in software like CSound and it is possible to create a user
friendly GUI shell around Csound patches so that this works like your
usual synths, I mean that you have a certain polyphony and can store and
recall sounds. Actually I working on it but my time is limited too.

Another thing I am working on are alternative user interfaces. While
commercial software vendours wants to make you believe their software
sound better when they slap a picture of a Moog onto it, I really hate
twiddling virtual knobs with the mouse. Alternatives should be created
with software and hardware user interaction, I started some research
with hacking a Korg PadKontrol:

http://www.block4.com/index.php?id=101

Cheers,

Malte
--
----
media art + development
http://www.block4.com

new release:
free open source softwaresynth Minicomputer for Linux
http://minicomputer.sourceforge.net/

_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users
 
Old 08-16-2008, 09:06 PM
Ralf Mardorf
 
Default Application to dump SysEx

Malte Steiner wrote:
> Check out this one
>
> http://samples.kb6.de/
>
> loads of samples from all kind of drumcomputers.
>

Thank you .

> While
> commercial software vendours wants to make you believe their software
> sound better when they slap a picture of a Moog onto it, I really hate
> twiddling virtual knobs with the mouse.

There's also a virtual FOSS synth collection with imposing skins and
sounds that have nothing to do with the synth they look like, but it's
okay, because we don't have to pay for Bristol. I was just disappointed
because there is also a Juno-106 for Bristol and this is another of my
favourite synth. The Juno only has one oscillator, but this "can't" be
heard, even if not using the chorus. The chorus has one week point, it
use a 180 phase to produce a stereo effect and I don't like effects
that will disappear when the stereo signal will be played in mono.

> Alternatives should be created
> with software and hardware user interaction, I started some research
> with hacking a Korg PadKontrol:
>
> http://www.block4.com/index.php?id=101

I have one synth with an interesting idea, how to do interactive sound
editing while making music. It's the TG33, that comes with a "Vector
Control" joystick. You can mix PCMs and synthetic sounds and change the
fine tuning, while the single sounds are anywhere in the stereo
panorama. It's also possible to record joystick movements as part of the
sound settings for each sound. Unfortunately the PCMs are limited and
the sound quality isn't the best.

Cheers,
Ralf


_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:35 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org