Old 08-14-2008, 05:35 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Default Cannot allocate memory

Hi

I'm searching for the reason why all my Linux have to extreme
fluctuations in the timing of MIDI events, when using virtual
instruments that aren't plugins.

I often get the message "Cannot allocate memory", e.g. after starting Jack:

"06:29:16.990 Patchbay deactivated.
06:29:17.034 Statistics reset.
06:29:17.052 Startup script...
06:29:17.052 artsshell -q terminate
06:29:17.058 ALSA connection graph change.
06:29:17.472 Startup script terminated with exit status=256.
06:29:17.473 JACK is starting...
06:29:17.473 /usr/bin/jackd -R -dalsa -r44100 -p128 -n9 -D -Chw:0
-Phw:0
06:29:17.478 JACK was started with PID=5524.
jackd 0.109.2
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
cannot lock down memory for jackd (Cannot allocate memory)
Enhanced3DNow! detected
SSE2 detected
apparent rate = 44100
creating alsa driver ...
hw:0|hw:0|128|9|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:0
configuring for 44100Hz, period = 128 frames (2.9 ms), buffer = 9
periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 32bit little-endian
ALSA: use 9 periods for capture
ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit little-endian
ALSA: use 9 periods for playback
JACK: unable to mlock() port buffers: Cannot allocate memory
JACK: unable to mlock() port buffers: Cannot allocate memory
06:29:17.684 Server configuration saved to "/home/spinymouse/.jackdrc".
06:29:17.685 Statistics reset.
06:29:17.686 Client activated.
06:29:17.689 JACK connection change.
06:29:17.691 ALSA connection change.
06:29:17.701 JACK connection graph change.
Enhanced3DNow! detected
SSE2 detected
cannot lock down memory for RT thread (Cannot allocate memory)"

Not only for Jack and not only for my unfavourable upgraded 64 Studio,
also for regular Linux without bold upgrades. If I end such a session
and start a new one for the same user, the memory is fine again. This
error only appears when starting audio RT applications.

What could be the cause for this error message?

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 08-14-2008, 10:44 AM
Daniel James

Hi Ralf,

> I often get the message "Cannot allocate memory", e.g. after starting Jack:

Is your user a member of the audio group? Have you set a memlock value
in /etc/security/limits.conf ? (We now comment out the memlock by default).

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 08-14-2008, 02:32 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Daniel James wrote:
> Hi Ralf,
>
>> I often get the message "Cannot allocate memory", e.g. after starting
>> Jack:
>
> Is your user a member of the audio group? Have you set a memlock value
> in /etc/security/limits.conf ? (We now comment out the memlock by
> default).
>
> Cheers!
>
> Daniel

64 Studio:

@audio - rtprio 99
#@audio - memlock 250000
#@audio - nice -10
@audio - nice -19

Suse 11.0:

@audio - rtprio 99
@audio - memlock unlimited
@audio - nice -10

I didn't changed it and for Suse I set it to unlimited, I only changed
the nice value for 64 Studio and I will change it for Suse 11.0 too, but
that won't take effect to the memory problem. Maybe it's critical
because 128 MB of my 2GB are used as frame buffer for the integrated ATI
or because of my BIOS. Memtest got troubles with the memory, but no
non-rt-audio application ever got trouble with the RAM. Another bizarre
thing is, that Suse detects my CPU running at 1000MHz and sometimes up
to 18000MHz. 64 Studio detected it always running correct with 21000MHz.
Maybe the CPU will be clocked depending to the load and maybe this will
take effect to the MIDI timing.

I would say the user is in the group audio without checking if it's like
this, but maybe something unwanted happend so I checked it and yes, the
64 Studio user is in the following

$ groups
spinymouse adm disk dialout cdrom floppy audio video plugdev netdev
stb-admin powerdev scanner camera

I tested Rosegarden with 64 Studio so this might not be the trouble and
I'm shure, but I will check it too, that I'm also in the group audio for
Suse.

*?*

Old 08-14-2008, 06:26 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Gustin Johnson wrote:
> This is expected on new hardware. The CPU is changing its frequency
> based on load, just like a laptop. I usually disable this when doing
> audio work on my laptop. ON KDE this is a simple right click on the
> power manager. My current DAW does not support this so I have never
> needed to look for it in 64Studio.

Thank you

for 64 Studio's hwinfo the frequency is fine and indeed KPowersafe says
"CPU Frequency Policy - not supported", but for Suse I changed it from
"Dynamic" to "Performance" and now the 1000MHz CPU is a 2100MHz CPU .

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 08-14-2008, 07:01 PM
Gustin Johnson

Old 08-14-2008, 08:02 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Gustin Johnson wrote:
> Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > Gustin Johnson wrote:
> >> This is expected on new hardware. The CPU is changing its frequency
> >> based on load, just like a laptop. I usually disable this when doing
> >> audio work on my laptop. ON KDE this is a simple right click on the
> >> power manager. My current DAW does not support this so I have never
> >> needed to look for it in 64Studio.
> > Thank you
>
> > for 64 Studio's hwinfo the frequency is fine and indeed KPowersafe says
> > "CPU Frequency Policy - not supported", but for Suse I changed it from
> > "Dynamic" to "Performance" and now the 1000MHz CPU is a 2100MHz CPU .
>
> When not doing DAW work, I would change back to Dynamic. Most of the
> time this is fine, but the frequency switching can be a problem with low
> latency work.

I'll borrow a power meter and see how much the difference is.
Temperature for 64 Studio always clocking 2100MHz, is the same as for
Suse, most times clocking 1000MHz, ca. 40C.

Actual I only will use 64 Studio and just take a look sometimes at Suse,
at the moment I'm only back to Suse, because 64 Studio's upgrade to
Lenny, the changes for Reaper etc. "disabled" some applications for 64
Studio.

I think it's good that the frequency policy isn't supported for 64
Studio and I don't know how to enable it.

I'll think about changing back to Dynamic, resp. try to enable this for
64 Studio, if there is a extreme difference in the electric load.

Maybe "Dynamic" was the cause that Suse had less good latencies as 64
Studio.

I hope I will have the time to test Rosegarden for 64 Studio and Suse
with RTC as timer this night, it looks like I have to defer it to tomorrow.
If I understand Paul Davis right "do you understand that nice values and
RT scheduling are completely unrelated to each other? that is to say:
nice values can never be used to get RT scheduling, and an RT-scheduled
task's nice values are irrelevant.", this means that it doesn't matter
if nice in limits.conf is set to -10 or -19, but maybe it's a
misunderstanding. Anyway, if RTC won't help, the jitter might has to do
with the scheduling :S.

Cheers,
Ralf