Old 08-13-2008, 03:56 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default Trouble with realtime - Take 2

Daniel James wrote:
> Hi Ralf,
>
>> QJackCtl's latencies for the "more unstable" (because there was the need
>> for a KDE upgrade) 64 Studio are 26.1ms and for the more stable Suse
>> 11.0 46.4ms at the moment.
>
> That's a lot of latency for a MIDI instrument, I'm not surprised you
> can hear it. I generally record live audio at about 10ms, but if I was
> doing multitrack MIDI with overdubs, I'd be looking to get the latency
> down to the low single figures (in milliseconds).
>
> Is there any reason why you can't use the MIDI socket on your EWX
> 24/96? I'd expect better sync performance than when using two
> different interfaces.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Daniel

Hi Daniel

maybe I can reduce the latency, because working with Reaper is
impossible and Linux needs less latency, but the trouble isn't made by
the latency. Fluidsynth as a DSSI for Rosegarden is okay. Fluidsynth
used by QSynth and controlled by Rosegarden is a problem, because the
speed isn't fine. Latency for DSSI and Fluidsynth is the same . The
DSSI has a fluctuation of speed at 120BPM of 1ms, while Qsynth and other
Non-DSSI have a fluctuation of speed at 120BPM of 2ms. 2ms can be heard
as bad timing, e.g. unisono isn't unisono, a groove won't groove, maybe
it's not only the 2ms, it might be possible that there is to add, that
Rosegarden can't sync by delaying the audio tracks for less than 10ms
and that is also needed or Audacities graphic is bad.

Just playing a virtual synth, I can't hear a latency, even if it should
be 46.4ms, that's why I guess the latency displayed by QJackCtl is
wrong. Even the Haas effect is less than 40ms and a 1/48 note at 120BPM
has a length of 41.6ms. The real latency must be shorter.

Again, the problem is that the MIDI timing isn't straight and that it
can be heard, it's not only that I looked at an editor.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 08-13-2008, 04:11 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Daniel James wrote:
> Is there any reason why you can't use the MIDI socket on your EWX
> 24/96? I'd expect better sync performance than when using two
> different interfaces.

Yes, I haven't the needed accessory, but I'm not writing about external
MIDI equipment, it's just intern.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:32 PM
Ralf Mardorf

pw.marcus wrote:

> Yes, in fact I agree with Daniel, is there any reason why you can't
> use the MIDI socket on your EWX
> 24/96? I'd expect better sync performance than when using two
> different interfaces.
> Maybe could you by the needed accessory (a cable)!
>

> Cheers

I have to take a look what is needed, maybe it's more than just a cable
, anyway I edited with the mouse 1/8 kicks with a length of 1/16 and a
velocity of 64 and I didn't send it to external MIDI devices, but to
QSynth , so there is no coherence with the trouble I have . In
general I need more than just one MIDI output for my external equipment,
in the past I tried to use the gameport's MPU and the USB MIDI device
and with my new hardware I haven't a gameport MIDI and anyhow it's
better to disable onboard audio devices when using Linux. I will keep in
mind to get my EWX MIDI ready and to use it for external drum modules,
the master keyboard etc. and I will use my USB MIDI device for less time
critical synth and fx processors.

Thanks for the information .