Old 08-12-2008, 06:59 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default Trouble with realtime and 64 Studio 64-bit and Suse 64-bit

Paul Davis wrote:
> If you want LAD'ers to get involve in figuring out your issues, I would
> suggest you find a test case that does not involve Wine and a windows
> app. We can then move forward from there. If you get the kinds of
> effects you describe when recording with ardour or jack_capture or
> qtractor, then we'll have a situation that we can diagnose correctly.

Thank you for the fast reply Paul

the last test was without wine and with Rosegarden.

I connected MIDI out of Rosegarden with QSynth MIDI in by the ALSA tab
of QJackCtl and recorded the audio signal of QSynth to a Rosegarden
audio track, the source is a MIDI track of Rosegarden.

I can repeat the experiment while using Ardour, but which sequencer
should I use? I won't try a SVN version of Ardour with an integrated
MIDI sequencer.

I'm looking for a workstation that can do MIDI and audio recordings and
I don't won't to use Apple or Microsoft if this is possible. Sync with
C64 and Atari ST MIDI to 4 track cassette tape recorders and studio tape
recorders never were a problem. I also worked with Apple and Microsoft
without having such troubles.

The problem seems to be that the speed is drifting, I can hear it when
Reaper is playing the kick by MIDI, I can't hear it directly when
Rosegarden is playing the kick by MIDI, but it can be heard if some
instruments are recorded, while other instruments are played by MIDI.
It's not only that the audio signals are just to early or to late for a
fixed time, the problem is, the fluctuation. Sometimes the MIDI note ons
are to early and some times they are to late.

I can't hear wrong pitch. If an analogous tape has such extreme wow and
flutter, there will be heard differences in the pitch. It seems to be a
problem of Linux MIDI. I can't get a constant tempo.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 08-13-2008, 01:57 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Michael Taht wrote:
> What clock is rosegarden sync'd to?

It's the only sequencer, master for itself, there are no slaves, MIDI
sync are all disabled and there's no sync send to devices. Sequencer
timing source is set to "(auto)". WAVs are 44100, 16-bit.