Old 08-07-2008, 10:28 AM
"Thomas Phillpotts"

Default How does Ardour sound better than iTunes?

Just curious about this, I don't know if this is the right list for this topic...

When I import a CD track into a 16bit/44.1kHz Ardour session it sounds amazing compared to listening to the same track imported as a WAV file into iTunes in windows (yes, I still have a windows boot, err...). I'm using the same bit and sample rate settings in the audio interface in both OS's.

Can someone tell me how exactly this is? Is it the appplication, OS, algorithms, etc? I don't know about the programming side of things.
I'm running 64studio 2.0, and happily listening through a Presonus Firebox.

Actually I think VLC in windows sounds slightly better than iTunes, it's range seems to extend a little higher?

Incidentally I got the Firebox because it's well driven in Linux, and I'm pretty stoked with it. If anyone is looking for a cheap but good sounding audio interface, IMO it's good value.

thanks,
Tom

Old 08-07-2008, 11:58 AM
Daniel James

Hi Thomas,

> When I import a CD track into a 16bit/44.1kHz Ardour session it sounds
> amazing compared to listening to the same track imported as a WAV file into
> iTunes in windows

A good question - if other Windows apps sound better than iTunes, then
it's probably because iTunes is mangling the audio on purpose - turning
it into an AAC file on import, perhaps, or attempting to 'improve the
sound' with some nasty DSP plugins.

You'll find that Linux audio developers are passionate about quality :-)

Cheers!

Daniel