Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   64 Studio User (http://www.linux-archive.org/64-studio-user/)
-   -   Just an idea (http://www.linux-archive.org/64-studio-user/137404-just-idea.html)

Folderol 08-04-2008 07:07 PM

Just an idea
 
I use 64studio in a totally dedicated machine. The *only*
non-music service/program active is the network with synaptic for
updates.

Would there be any benefit in stripping out everything else?
Is there a possibility that a script could be developed to do this?
(presumably while logged in single user mode)

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk

_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users

Quentin Harley 08-04-2008 09:08 PM

Just an idea
 
Folderol wrote:
> I use 64studio in a totally dedicated machine. The *only*
> non-music service/program active is the network with synaptic for
> updates.
>
> Would there be any benefit in stripping out everything else?
> Is there a possibility that a script could be developed to do this?
> (presumably while logged in single user mode)
>
>

Interesting you would say that...
Complete contrast to this guy: http://www.64studio.com/node/676

If I had another system I wouldn't mind this as well...

Cheers,
Quentin

_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users

Ralf Mardorf 08-04-2008 09:11 PM

Just an idea
 
Folderol wrote:
> I use 64studio in a totally dedicated machine. The *only*
> non-music service/program active is the network with synaptic for
> updates.
>
> Would there be any benefit in stripping out everything else?
> Is there a possibility that a script could be developed to do this?
> (presumably while logged in single user mode)
>

At the moment I like a completely other way, I try to make Suse and 64
Studio to be a Linux for everything, but I understand this idea, I also
had it some time ago. I agree, it is a good idea for some fields, to
have an audio workstation, that just is an audio workstation. A problem
for the developers might be to choose an "audio windows manager". I
would like to know if there are really advantages, if running Linux for
an audio workstation in single user mode and as root. I guess it might
be a benefit of resources to handle an audio workstation as a "stand
alone audio system" instead of an multi user system, with an office
suite and temperature deamons etc.. Maybe video and graphic should be
part of a workstation and a browser to get manuals and sound samples
etc. should be part of a workstation. Suggestions what kind of system is
wanted, for the installing DVD might be a solution, e.g. Suse ask you if
you want a minimal graphic system or KDE etc..

It might be interesting which programs are unwanted by people using 64
Studio and wish programs they have to install manually after they have
done the basic installation.

AND how much work it would be for the people making 64 Studio to do some
thing like this.

The main question maybe is, if a script like this (or an installing
option) is to do with less work, resp. if it's wanted by enough people.

OT: Windows-world has a new highlight. ZBrush 3.1. It's not for free ;)
but very impressing, I've seen it running on a Windows by a friend.

Cheers,
Ralf

_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users

"Hans-J. Ullrich" 09-16-2008 06:50 AM

Just an idea
 
Hello dear maintainers,

I would like to introduce you my idea, if it might be possible to add a new
feature to cron-apt:

----
Feature: Add an option, that cron-apt will not run regularly, but instead
whenever a security-whole was detected in a package. So an update will only
be started, when a security patch appeared.
----

Yes, of course I can force this, when there is only security.debian.org in the
sources.list, but this way I have always to change the sources.list, whenever
I want to do a normal upgrade. Maybe this feature might be already
implemented (but I did not find in in the documentation), maybe different
sources.lists can be used for different apt commands ???

This is just an idea, maybe someone likes it and wants to implement it. Sorry,
I am no coder.

If you think, this is stupid, excuse the noise.

Kind regards

Hans-J. Ullrich





--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Peter Makholm 09-16-2008 08:13 AM

Just an idea
 
"Hans-J. Ullrich" <hans.ullrich@loop.de> writes:

> Feature: Add an option, that cron-apt will not run regularly, but instead
> whenever a security-whole was detected in a package. So an update will only
> be started, when a security patch appeared.

As you're suggesting, this can be done by using a sources.list file
for this specific purpose only. There is an example of how to do this
in /etc/cron-apt/config (look for 'alternative sources.list file').

//Makholm


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

"Hans-J. Ullrich" 09-16-2008 08:51 AM

Just an idea
 
Am Dienstag, 16. September 2008 schrieb Peter Makholm:
> "Hans-J. Ullrich" <hans.ullrich@loop.de> writes:
> > Feature: Add an option, that cron-apt will not run regularly, but instead
> > whenever a security-whole was detected in a package. So an update will
> > only be started, when a security patch appeared.
>
> As you're suggesting, this can be done by using a sources.list file
> for this specific purpose only. There is an example of how to do this
> in /etc/cron-apt/config (look for 'alternative sources.list file').
>
> //Makholm

Ah, yes, this is exactly what I was looking for. Must somehow missed it in the
config, although I read it.

Thanks for the advice ! Shame on me.


Cheers

Hans


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Vincent Bernat 09-16-2008 09:01 AM

Just an idea
 
On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 08:50:12 +0200, "Hans-J. Ullrich"
<hans.ullrich@loop.de> wrote:

> I would like to introduce you my idea, if it might be possible to add a
> new
> feature to cron-apt:
>
> ----
> Feature: Add an option, that cron-apt will not run regularly, but instead
> whenever a security-whole was detected in a package. So an update will
> only
> be started, when a security patch appeared.
> ----

The package unattended-upgrades does exactly that.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:41 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.