Old 07-07-2008, 01:34 PM
"David Adler"

Default aeolus unmet dependencies

My favorite pipe-organ-emulator seems to be broken

digital:/home/minos# aptitude install aeolus
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
Building tag database... Done
The following packages are BROKEN:
aeolus
The following NEW packages will be automatically installed:
libclthreads2 libclxclient3 stops
libclthreads2 libclxclient3 stops
0 packages upgraded, 4 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 114kB/207kB of archives. After unpacking 1528kB will be used.
aeolus: Depends: libjack0 (>= 0.109.2) but 0.103.0-6~etch1 is installed.
Resolving dependencies...

Install the following packages:
aeolus [0.6.6+2-4~bpo.1 (64studio, 64studio, now)]

Score is -9922

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] y
No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] y
Writing extended state information... Done
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
Building tag database... Done
digital:/home/minos#

content of /etc/apt/sources.list:

## installation disc

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r2 _Etch_ - Unofficial bpo amd64
NETINST Binary-1 20080103-00:39]/ etch contrib main

## debian stable

deb ftp://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib non-free
deb-src ftp://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib non-free

## security-updates

deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib

## 64studio stable and testing

deb http://apt.64studio.com/64studio/stable/ 64studio main

deb http://apt.64studio.com/64studio/testing/ 64studio main

Any suggestions what to do or how to help?

Thanks,
david

Old 07-07-2008, 01:45 PM
Daniel James

Hi David,

> My favorite pipe-organ-emulator seems to be broken

> aeolus: Depends: libjack0 (>= 0.109.2) but 0.103.0-6~etch1 is installed.

This is an update that fixes a long-standing bug, where aeolus would
crash on its first run. Unfortunately it requires Jack 0.109.2 or later,
and recent Jack releases are just not stable enough for us yet.

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 07-07-2008, 02:05 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Daniel James wrote:
> Hi David,
>

>> My favorite pipe-organ-emulator seems to be broken
>>
>> The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>> aeolus: Depends: libjack0 (>= 0.109.2) but 0.103.0-6~etch1 is installed.
>>

> This is an update that fixes a long-standing bug, where aeolus would
> crash on its first run. Unfortunately it requires Jack 0.109.2 or later,
> and recent Jack releases are just not stable enough for us yet.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Daniel

Jack's latest versions might be to unstable for professional use, but
they seems to be fine for homerecoding. The needed version is in the
Lenny repository.

deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ lenny main

Old 07-07-2008, 09:37 PM
Gustin Johnson

Old 07-07-2008, 11:37 PM
"David Adler"

> and possibly this newbie guide
> http://jaqque.sbih.org/kplug/apt-pinning.html

Nice link.
Nevertheless I decided to install aeolus-0.6.6-1 from source, as I
currently prefer to keep the 64studio system as clean as possible.

> I also do not make distinctions between home and professional use.
> Stability is is very important to me, and the main reason why 64Studio
> runs my studio and not Debian or Ubuntu.

Yep, exactly the same reason here.
I spent lots of time customizing debian for realtime use, learned a
lot by doing so, but at the moment I just want stability and this
distribution is amazingly stable. Thanks by the way.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:52 AM
tim hall

Gustin Johnson wrote:
> Simply adding Lenny to the mix is not a very good solution IMO unless
> you understand the implications and can work around and or fix them.

I want to second this piece of advice, as someone who has been adding
Lenny into the mix on one of my systems. Some users may have been
confused by the discussions ensuing from this move. I do this because a)
I am a nutter b) I am testing specifically for breakages to 64 Studio in
preparation for future developments c) I either know what I'm doing or
I'm prepared to accept the consequences.

It is _not_ a recommended course of action for normal users - you will
end up running a strangely configured Debian lenny system at best and
you will more than likely break sensitive audio applications by doing
this. You are also On Your Own; if stuff breaks, the most likely
response from us will be: 'That's interesting, thanks for being prepared
to break your system in order to find this out :-)'. We'll be even more
thrilled if you can figure out how to fix it.

Sometimes I feel a bit like Willy Wonka: just because the experimental
candy isn't under lock & key doesn't mean you _have_ to taste it. (sigh) ;-p

cheers,

tim