Old 07-04-2008, 01:11 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default Kernel modul, fstab, GRUB MBR

Hi

tomorrow I'll get a new SATA HD. Until now I'm using an IDE HD. Is there
the need to install a kernel module?

I don't think so, I guess

# modinfo sata_via
filename:
/lib/modules/2.6.21-1-multimedia-amd64/kernel/drivers/ata/sata_via.ko
author: Jeff Garzik
license: GPL
version: 2.1
vermagic: 2.6.21-1-multimedia-amd64 SMP preempt mod_unload
depends: libata
alias: pci:v00001106d00005337sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias: pci:v00001106d00000591sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias: pci:v00001106d00003149sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias: pci:v00001106d00003249sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
srcversion: 2D0EA896A62A0E44414A540

is all I need, but it's better to ask.

I've to copy my 64 Studio from the IDE to the SATA, the best way seems
to do it by tar, to preserve permissions.

I guess I've to change hda to sda or sd[...] for the fstab, right? The
IDE HD now is hda and an IDE DVD drive hdb.

What is the easiest way to get GRUB into the MBR of the SATA?

Is it possible after booting by another medium, an DVD or by menu.lst
from the old IDE HD, to run the 64 Studio on the SATA and to "re"install
GRUB by Synaptic? What I mean, will an installation do needed settings
automatically? After doing this I would change the boot sequence in the
BIOS and set the SATA to be the first boot medium.

I never had troubles when installing a new HD, but with my new mobo and
my old IDE I got an CHS/LBA inconsistency. I'll study the manual of the
new HD very well, but I think usually every thing should be fine when
the BIOS is set to LBA, instead of CHS. Last time the BIOS didn't detect
the correct CHS. I won't use RAID for mirroring, so CHS shouldn't be
needed, at all I won't use RAID, striping without mirroring seems to be
an insane thing to do.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 07-05-2008, 12:06 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Hi Gustin

thank you .

> | I've to copy my 64 Studio from the IDE to the SATA, the best way seems
> | to do it by tar, to preserve permissions.
>
> I would use ddrescue or partimage to copy the partitions to the new
> drive. Then I would use parted (or gparted/qtparted) to resize the
> partition if necessary.

I don't know the way they copy and tar works fine, even with the CHS/LBA
inconsistency.

I tested tar and it was fine with preserving permissions when I packed
and unpacked from the HD to the HD, but there must be something wrong
with K3b or the way the DVD is mounted while restoring.

Today I run into trouble, because I tried to restore my /home from a DVD
backup.

As root I run k3b in my 32-bit 64 Studio 2.1rc, to backup my 64-bit 64
Studio 2.1rc/Lenny. I know that there's no need to run k3b as root, but
doing it like this, I have more presets, those for user and those for
root. Running k3b this way, guarantees me, that all presets are [X]
Preserve file permissions (backup), resp. it don't seems to be like that.

I tried to restore /home like this:

Spinymouse is user for both 64 Studios, that's why I command each step,
to make it less confusing.

Make a directory, so that the 32-bit 64 Studio can restore the 64-bit 64
Studio's home

spinymouse@64studio:~$ mkdir home

Become root

spinymouse@64studio:~$ su

Mount the 64-bit /home for the 32-bit 64 Studio

64studio:/home/spinymouse# mount /dev/hda8 home

Change directory to the backup source

64studio:/home/spinymouse# cd /media/64studio64bit/64studio64bit_home.su

To preserve permissions copy the /home directory by tar and even if it's
default add p (I backup / by tar and /home not in an archive, without
tar), the archive created of the DVD source is written to /root, I know
there's no need to copy lost+found

64studio:/media/64studio64bit/64studio64bit_home.su# tar cfvpj
~/home.tar.bz2 lost+found spinymouse

Change to the directory that has to be restored

64studio:/media/64studio64bit/64studio64bit_home.su# cd
/home/spinymouse/home

Restore the directory in a way that preserve permissions

64studio:/home/spinymouse/home# tar xfvj ~/home.tar.bz2

Clean 32-bit 64 Studio

64studio:/home/spinymouse/home# cd ..
64studio:/home/spinymouse# umount home
64studio:/home/spinymouse# rm -r ~/home.tar.bz2 home

Now everything should be fine, but when I tried to start the KDE session
by GDM I got this error:

"The following installation problem was detected while trying to start KDE:

No write access to $HOME directory (/home/spinymouse).

KDE is unable to start."

It's /home so in failsafe mode I run

chmod -R 755 /home

and now it's fine again, but the permissions are all 755, maybe not as
the original.

> | I guess I've to change hda to sda or sd[...] for the fstab, right? The
> | IDE HD now is hda and an IDE DVD drive hdb.
> |

> Most modern distributions use UUIDs. Once the SATA drive is installed,
> boot your computer. Do an ls -la on the /dev/disk/by-uid directory.
>
> | What is the easiest way to get GRUB into the MBR of the SATA?
>
> grub-install /dev/sda (or whatever your SATA disk is. You will need to
> modify the /boot/grub/menu.lst file.
>
> The root and kernel lines are the ones of importance.

I'm familiar with the menu.lst, but not with installation of GRUB. I
asked, because I want to copy my old Studio from the IDE to the SATA and
I don't know which informations are in the stages and what Synaptic will do.

Okay, I run grub-install --help, I didn't know that command.

> | Is it possible after booting by another medium, an DVD or by menu.lst
> | from the old IDE HD, to run the 64 Studio on the SATA and to "re"install
> | GRUB by Synaptic? What I mean, will an installation do needed settings
> | automatically? After doing this I would change the boot sequence in the
> | BIOS and set the SATA to be the first boot medium.
>
> I don't think that a reinstall of GRUB would help if things get messed
> up. You can boot from another medium (CD/DVD, a floppy, or a USB key
> for instance). You can then run grub-install (though you will probably
> need to use the --root-directory option, check the man pages for more
> details).

This "grub-install /dev/sda" is what I was asking for. So I can write to
the IDE's menu.lst a option, to boot the copy of my Studio, that's on
the SATA and there I can run grub-install /dev/sda and after changing
the boot sequence I can boot from the SATA instead of the IDE.

> | I never had troubles when installing a new HD, but with my new mobo and
> | my old IDE I got an CHS/LBA inconsistency. I'll study the manual of the
> | new HD very well, but I think usually every thing should be fine when
> | the BIOS is set to LBA, instead of CHS. Last time the BIOS didn't detect
> | the correct CHS. I won't use RAID for mirroring, so CHS shouldn't be
> | needed, at all I won't use RAID, striping without mirroring seems to be
> | an insane thing to do.
>
> You may also need to change the boot order in the bios.

Yes, I know this.

> Even if
> everything is configured right and you have formatted the original
> partition, grub will still exist on the original drive and you will not
> be able to boot. If you want to still use the original drive, do the
> following:
> dd if=dev/zero of=/dev/hda count=1 bs=512

Better not , bs should be 446 to keep the partition table, as far as I
know. But this information is what I also was asking or thinking about.
Is there the need to remove GRUB from the IDE, if I will use it again,
even if the BIOS looks first to the SATA, from where GRUB should be used.

> What you want to do is certainly possible, I have done exactly this
> myself. The caveat is that there are a few things that can and likely
> will trip you up. If the data on your drive is at all important, make
> sure you have your data backed up.
>
> The easiest solution is to do a clean install of 64Studio on the new
> drive and to move the original drive into a USB enclosure to copy over
> the files you want to keep. Then format the original drive and do with
> it as you please.
>
> Hope this helps.

Yes, it does ).

I won't do a clean install of 64 Studio because than I had to do to much
installing again. I need KDE 3.5.9, REAPER etc. and all that is
installed. There are some things broken for my 64 Studio, but this seems
to be stuff like gcalctool, the shutdown screen etc., music applications
seems to be fine. Before I'll format my old IDE or install a new 64
Studio, I will make music. I waited a long time for that moment.

Rewriting fstab and menu.lst is not a problem and if grub-install
/dev/sda works, I don't think there will be anything that can make troubles.

I will do backups on DVD and direct from the IDE to the SATA.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 07-05-2008, 12:18 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Gustin Johnson wrote:
> You can then run grub-install (though you will probably
> need to use the --root-directory option, check the man pages for more
> details).

--root-directory=DIR
install GRUB images under the directory DIR instead of the
root directory

*?*

grub-install /dev/sda --root-directory=/boot/grub

For the stages?

I think I have to google ;D or to do a clean installation and than to
remove this by a backup of my old Studio.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:59 AM
Gustin Johnson

Old 07-05-2008, 12:52 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Gustin Johnson wrote:
> The --root-directory option is for cases where you have booted from
> another medium such as a CD/DVD or USB device. So, for example I always
> carry a usb key with systemrescuecd installed (bootable USB drive). I
> would boot a system from USB then mount the hard drive I am repairing.
> So it might look like this:
> grub-install /dev/sdb --root-directory=/mnt/disk2/
>
> Essentially it is redefining where / is. It expects boot/ to be under
> the path you define.

Hi Gustin hi all of you

now I also understand why I have to overwrite the old MBR. I thought
it's possible to choose the boot order for the HDs too, but it's only
possible to select HD, but not which one.

Because of the partition table I think it's wrong to overwrite 512 B. I
will search the internet if it's really 446 B and before doing this,
I'll backup the MBR or I simply install Suse 11.0, just now I see it's
out since 06/19/2008.

I don't know if 64 Studio or any other Linux will give me a GUI to
choose were to uninstall or install GRUB, but I know that Suse's YaST
was able to do this and I guess they didn't change this.

The Postwoman rings shortly after 9, when I was half asleep. I installed
the SATA HD and demounted a Linux incompatible PCI Card, that still is
sold as Linux compatible, but not by my dealer. I sent it back to my
dealer and have not to pay the mail charges myself.

Probably I will partion the new drive during the day, copy 64 Studio to
the new drive, see if it's possible to fix the CHS/LBA inconsistency of
the old drive in a simple way, without something strange like a low
level format and starting tomorrow to make music with 64 Studio. I won't
use Suse at the moment or do anything else, even not for 64 Studio, e.g.
working on the DVD-RAM trouble.

The new drive is silent, but the case sides sometimes are caused to
vibrate, laying with the ear on the case my ear-rings are dancing. I
only have to fix the case sides better, if it will annoy me. No noise at
the moment, after pressing the sides against the case. I think it will
be better for the lives of both hard disks, if I will decouple them from
the case, but this is a problem of space and not easy to do, because I
don't think it's good to position the old drive vertically. Without
damping pasted into the low-cost case it's nearly perfect, only the
sides have too much backlash.

To be realistic, accidents will happen, I think I can start making music
with Linux within the next days. I believe it will be the first time
without limitations, excepted of the to low vertical refresh rate for
the monitor. I hope I'll get no effects with the RAM, because of the
integrated ATI.

Links to .gig and SynAddSubFx sounds would be fine, also for Soundfonts,
but I think I found the free Soundfonts myself.

At http://www.linuxsampler.org/instruments.html they have a MIDI
recording of Chopin. Outlandish but maybe it's possible without using
quantize.

I have to do the shopping for the weekend, on Sundays German shops
aren't allowed to be opened. The separation of church and state is 1001
years away.

Nice weekend to everyone .

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 07-05-2008, 04:15 PM
Gustin Johnson

Old 07-05-2008, 06:25 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Gustin Johnson wrote:
> Tar just seems inefficient (adding an extra step). Both cp and rsync
> have flags to preserve permissions as well.

Yes, in this case tar is inefficient, but it was the safest way for me.

64studio:/home/spinymouse/Desktop/folder1# ls
root_dir usr_dir
64studio:/home/spinymouse/Desktop/folder1# chmod 777 root_dir
64studio:/home/spinymouse/Desktop/folder1# rsync -vpr *
/home/spinymouse/Desktop/folder2

This works fine , root_dir and usr_dir are now in folder2 and they
have preserved permissions. Will all kinds of files, folders and links
be copied, in other words, can I copy my 64 Studio by using another
Linux, from one HD to the other, by using the options -vpr or is there
something else to do?

The Download of Suse needed 8 bit more, than there is free space on my
old HD. Right now comes across my mind, that I don't have to use GParted
from a Live CD today. I can partition the new HD, by using the 64 Studio
on my old HD.

All the day I wasn't at home, looks like I will have a night shift after
cooking.