Old 07-03-2008, 03:46 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default Does anybody know this SATA HD?

Hi all

Samsung SpinPoint T166 320GB
HD321KJ/LJ

It is the cheapest of the 320GB drives here:

http://www.reichelt.de/?;ACTION=2;LA=2;SORT=preis;START=0;OFFSET=16;SHOW= 0;GROUPID=720;SID=27-U4PcqwQARsAAAcQEnY885a9004a055982afdf75bc61a420f84

Time averages are similar for all drives and they have all 8MB or like
this one 16MB caches.

I don't care about paying 40,- EUR or 46,- EUR.

Does anybody know if Samsung isn't as silent, less warm, long living
like a Maxtor, Seagate, Hitachi, Western Digital?

I'm going to order one, before it's 20:00, now it's 17:45 in Germany, so
I have 2 hours.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 07-03-2008, 04:13 PM
"joseph brower"

I strongly prefer seagates, but I haven't used that particular model
of samsung, so I can't comment about it directly. i've had bad luck
with maxtor drives in the past.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Thank you Joseph

this Samsung costs 40,40 EUR and a Seagate with nearly equal
qualifications 45,70 EUR. Because I can't remember which HD was really
bad of mine and there was a good test report in the net for the Samsung,
I ordered the Samsung. I've got a Maxtor 6L080P0 IDE 80GB 8MB since May
2006, a short time after using this, the other HD for my DAW was broken
and that was just around 2 years old.

The Samsung should be quiet and less hot but fast, another one wrote
that it should be not so quiet, but his report was very improper. The
first one had his one since 1 month and the other one since 1 week. So
nobody could say how long the Samsung will live. Because it's a fast
spinning hard disk, it should be decoupled from the case, but I just
ordered the hard disk.

Hm, it might be, that my bad hard disk was a Samsung. While I ordered
that Samsung, I thought my old one was a Maxtor too. Seagate and Maxtor
are one company. I have a Seagate for my Atari that is over 15 years
old. I think it's not possible to read into experiences with different
types of HDs like SCSI, IDE, SATA and different sizes, like 40MB, 1GB,
80GB, 320GB. Once a vendor wasn't good, but now he might be good.

Thinking about this, it might be that I was always fine with Seagate
too, but maybe my broken one was not a Samsung but a Seagate.

Anyway, *I can reorder* for the next 45 minutes or tomorrow in the early
morning *if some people have bad experiences with Samsung*.

Having a new HD I can make music and with a second BIOS profiles, I
might also use HDMI, when not making music. If I have good luck, I only
have to order a NVidia graphics to be fine with Linux.

Cheers,
Ralf