Old 07-02-2008, 02:04 PM
"Peter Geirnaert"

Default Webcam as MIDI controller - software ?

I was wondering if it's possible to use the webcam as a musical instrument, so here are my first search results ...

Synaptic didn't show anything with a search for "video midi" or "cam midi",

so I did a Google search, and
found 3 programs that might be interesting for use with a webcam, if they could get installed, and the webcam too* :

1.Peripheral MIDI Controller
Peripheral MIDI Controller (pmidic) is a software program that intends
to act as a MIDI controller by
using various peripheral devices. The
initial release(s) will be focused on using a webcam as a
MIDI
controller with 3 dimensions (XYZ).

Project Admins:
benxtan

Operating System:
WinXP

License:
GNU General Public License (GPL)

Category:
MIDI

Programming Language :
C++

User Interface :
wxWidgets

----------------------2.Webcam Piano with Processing v0.1

(from the homepage of Webcam Piano)
"This is the beginnings of a Processing / Java port of the
webcam-to-osc/midi app I originally did in
Quartz Composer. The source
code for the processing version is below,
and you can watch (or
download) the Quartz Composer version here)."

--------------------------

3.Processing v0.1

(from the Processing homepage)

Processing is an open source programming language and environment for
people who want to program
images, animation, and interactions. It is used by
students, artists, designers, researchers, and hobbyists
for
learning, prototyping, and production. It is created to teach fundamentals
of computer programming
within a visual context and to serve as a software
sketchbook and professional production tool.

Processing is an alternative to
proprietary software tools in the same domain.

Processing is free to download and available
for GNU/Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows.

http://processing.org/
http://www.openprocessing.org/

http://youtube.com/group/processing