Old 07-02-2008, 11:32 AM
Dave Phillips

Default big ouch after upgrade to 2.1

Greetings,

I upgraded from 2.0 to 2.1 yesterday, and the results are not pretty. I
now have a steady stream of xruns coming from ALSA, rendering JACK
unusable. These xruns occur even when nothing else is running at
user-level except for my wm (Fluxbox). My build of Audacity is useless,
it now makes nothing but noise instead of sound (regardless whether JACK
or ALSA is selected), and that alone sticks me badly (I use Audacity a
lot for teaching).

I added the backport repo to the list in Synaptic to get Wine. As I've
already reported, Wine isn't there, but now I receive messages in
Synaptic about a bunch of packages that should be marked for change,
many of which were just upgraded with the switch to 2.1. At this point I
assume I should *not* simply accept those changes, is that correct ?

I'm also happy to assume I've done something wrong or not done something
right, but I'm willing to try any suggestions to get this system back on
track. I'll downgrade to 2.0 if necessary (and if someone can tell me how).

And finally: Does no-one use a webcam under 64 Studio ? I'm not getting
very far with mine. The gspca module supports it, that module is
available but only for the 2.6.18 kernel. Grrr...

With great hope,

dp

Old 07-02-2008, 03:08 PM
Dave Phillips

Dave Phillips wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I upgraded from 2.0 to 2.1 yesterday, and the results are not pretty.
Aha, reordered soundcards. Will fix and report back.

Note to devs: Could this be fixed so that soundcard order remains the
same between upgrades ?

Best,

dp

Old 07-02-2008, 03:34 PM
Quentin Harley

Dave Phillips wrote:
> Dave Phillips wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I upgraded from 2.0 to 2.1 yesterday, and the results are not pretty.
>>
> Aha, reordered soundcards. Will fix and report back.
>
> Note to devs: Could this be fixed so that soundcard order remains the
> same between upgrades ?

This is second nature to me now... every time I reinstall.

No easy way as far as I know. During upgrade you should have a choice
to keep your modprobe.d/alsa-base file. If this is not the case,
perhaps we should change that.

Cheers,
Quentin

Old 07-02-2008, 03:34 PM
Quentin Harley

Old 07-02-2008, 03:39 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Dave Phillips wrote:
> Dave Phillips wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I upgraded from 2.0 to 2.1 yesterday, and the results are not pretty.
>>
> Aha, reordered soundcards. Will fix and report back.
>
> Note to devs: Could this be fixed so that soundcard order remains the
> same between upgrades ?
>
> Best,
>
> dp

Normally you are asked if scripts should be preserved or not. I never
run into this trouble, or I can't remember it. The consistent device
numbers described by number 12 in http://www.64studio.com/faq_user
shouldn't be changed. But I never made an update from 2.0 to 2.1.
Problematic e.g. seems to be the change from splash=silent to nosplash.
After upgrading the kernel, the menu.lst will be edited, ignoring
changes like this. On the other hand, if als-base changed a lot, it
won't be good to preserve it.