Old 07-02-2008, 09:01 AM
Quentin Harley

Default 64bit installation - wine, wineasio and Reaper

Hi Users, Developers

I am writing a HowTo for the 64 Studio web page, but I need a bit of
help: Testers!

NB NB NB: If you are not comfortable hacking linux, please wait for the
How-To on the web page. I'll send the link when it's done.

This is for the special wineasio-x for 64bit. I created a .deb package
for it, so no need for compiling stuff and hunting for dependencies...

Make sure the following repositories are active in Synaptic:

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ etch main contrib non-free
deb http://apt.64studio.com/64studio/testing/ 64studio main
deb http://apt.64studio.com/backports/ etch-backports main

Also add the following repository (for 64bit):
deb http://apt.harleystudio.co.za/ etch main

Press reload, and then mark the following packages for installation:

wine, wineasio

and apply.

in a terminal, enter the following:

regsvr32 wineasio.dll
winecfg

Under the audio tab, select ALSA, and press ok.

Now, download the latest installer executable from the Reaper website:
http://www.cockos.com/reaper/download.php

install in a terminal with the command:
wine reaper2301-install.exe

It will install Reaper, and even stick a launch icon on the desktop.

Now,

* Start jack, the normal way.
* Press <Alt><F2>, and type "jackbridge" and press enter (only do
this in 64bit)
* double click on the reaper launch icon

When Reaper starts up, and you are in the interface, press <Ctrl>P for
preferences, and under Audio -> Device, select ASIO

Now, open your jack-control connections interface and connect the
jackbridge outputs with your alsa inputs.

Press play in Reaper...

Please give feedback on your progress.

Thanks,
Quentin

Old 07-02-2008, 11:34 AM
Dave Phillips

Quentin Harley wrote:
> Hi Users, Developers
>
> I am writing a HowTo for the 64 Studio web page, but I need a bit of
> help: Testers!
Hi Quentin,

I'd love to help, but at this time I'm having a major problem with 64
Studio 2.1. As soon as that's resolved, I'll immediately test those
packages. I'm very excited about getting Reaper running with jackbridge.

PS: Do you know anything about webcams under Linux ?

Best,

dp

Old 07-02-2008, 11:44 AM
Susan Dridi

Quentin Harley wrote:
> Hi Users, Developers
>
> I am writing a HowTo for the 64 Studio web page, but I need a bit of
> help: Testers!

<snip>

> Under the audio tab, select ALSA, and press ok.

Is there an option to choose freebob (required if you have a firewire
audio device) or does this just work for ALSA?

Good luck with your project!

-Susan

Old 07-02-2008, 12:36 PM
Quentin Harley

Susan Dridi wrote:
> Quentin Harley wrote:
>
>> Under the audio tab, select ALSA, and press ok.
>>

> Is there an option to choose freebob (required if you have a firewire
> audio device) or does this just work for ALSA?

I think it does not matter. Wine will use whatever jack is using when
ALSA is selected and ASIO drivers are used to connect to jack.
I believe it is only a "formality"

Cheers,
Quentin

Old 07-02-2008, 01:36 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Hi Quentin

here's what I did:

> Hi Users, Developers
>
> I am writing a HowTo for the 64 Studio web page, but I need a bit of
> help: Testers!
>
> NB NB NB: If you are not comfortable hacking linux, please wait for the
> How-To on the web page. I'll send the link when it's done.
>
> This is for the special wineasio-x for 64bit. I created a .deb package
> for it, so no need for compiling stuff and hunting for dependencies...
>
> Make sure the following repositories are active in Synaptic:
>
> deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ etch main contrib non-free
> deb http://apt.64studio.com/64studio/testing/ 64studio main
> deb http://apt.64studio.com/backports/ etch-backports main
>

> Also add the following repository (for 64bit):
> deb http://apt.harleystudio.co.za/ etch main

I used Iceweasel to download REAPER's latest version from
http://www.reaper.fm/download.php.

I pressed F12 to roll down Yakuake and run

cd ~/Desktop/tmp
ls

to change into the Directory where the reaper2301-install.exe download
is and to check out if it's really there.
Than I become root and run Synaptic:

su
synaptic

I took a look at the repositories in Synaptic.

Settings >> Repositories

Disabled:

http://apt.64studio.com/64studio/stable/ 64studio main
http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main
http://www.debian-multimedia.org/ etch main
http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ lenny main

Enabled:

http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ etch main contrib non-free
http://apt.64studio.com/64studio/testing/ 64studio main
http://apt.64studio.com/backports/ etch-backports main
http://apt.harleystudio.co.za/ etch main

I left the window by pressing OK.

> Press reload, and then mark the following packages for installation:
>
> wine, wineasio
>
> and apply.

I pressed the reload button. I pressed the search button and searched
for wineasio. Ah, okay, it won't solve the dependency to wine automatically.

I searched for wine. Oops, can't find wine, but it should be there, I
searched
http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=wine&searchon=names&suite=stable&s ection=all.

I searched for libwine and there are also no libwine packages available
for Synaptic.

Why isn't synaptic able to see wine?

I closed Synaptic and downloaded wine_1.0.0-1_amd64.deb from
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/w/wine/ into the known download
directory using Iceweasel.

I used Yakuake, still being in the download directory and still being
root, to run

ls
dpkg -i wine_1.0.0-1_amd64.deb

Okay, in addition to the missing dependencies I got this message:

"Selecting previously deselected package wine."

I run

rm wine_1.0.0-1_amd64.deb
ls
synaptic

Back in Synaptic there should be one broken package. I filtered "Broken"
and it was wine.

I disabled http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ etch main contrib non-free. I
had the suspicion it might could be a problem with ftp or it has to do
with Lenny.

I added and enabled

http://http.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free

and reloaded package information. Nothing changed.

I disabled this repository and enabled the one for Lenny and reloaded again.

Now it's fine.

I marked the broken wine for reinstallation and wineasio for installation.

This is what Synaptic did:

Commit Log for Wed Jul 2 13:51:26 2008

Removed the following packages:
cupsys-common

Upgraded the following packages:
libcupsys2 (1.3.7-5) to 1.3.7-7
libpopt0 (1.10-3) to 1.14-3
samba (1:3.0.28a-3) to 2:3.0.30-3
samba-common (1:3.0.28a-3) to 2:3.0.30-3

Installed the following packages:
avahi-utils (0.6.22-3)
cups (1.3.7-7)
cups-bsd (1.3.7-7)
cups-client (1.3.7-7)
cups-common (1.3.7-7)
foomatic-db-engine (3.0.2-20080211-1)
foomatic-filters (3.0.2-20080211-3.1)
libcups2 (1.3.7-7)
libwine (1.0.0-1)
libwine-alsa (1.0.0-1)
libwine-cms (1.0.0-1)
libwine-gl (1.0.0-1)
libwine-gphoto2 (1.0.0-1)
libwine-ldap (1.0.0-1)
libwine-print (1.0.0-1)
libwine-sane (1.0.0-1)
openssl-blacklist (0.4.2)
smbclient (2:3.0.30-3)
ssl-cert (1.0.20)
wine-bin (1.0.0-1)
wine-utils (1.0.0-1)
wineasio (0.3-x-1)

Reinstalled the following packages:
wine (1.0.0-1)

After this and before closing Synaptic does this

Commit Log for Wed Jul 2 13:55:41 2008

Installed the following packages:
cupsys-common (1.3.7-7)

If nothing would have run "unexpected", it seems to be possible just to
choose wineasio, that would download and install wine automatically too.

> in a terminal, enter the following:
>
> regsvr32 wineasio.dll
> winecfg

Back to Yakuake I pressed CTRL+D to exit to become user and pasted

regsvr32 wineasio.dll into the terminal emulation. It runs automatically, it seems to be, that I copied "too much", anyway

"It appears that libnss-mdns is installed on your system,
but lib32nss-mdns is not. Please note that Wine will not be
able to access the Internet unless you either install
lib32nss-mdns, or uninstall libnss-mdns."

There isn't the need to have access to the internet as far as I know, but there is a great problem:

spinymouse@64studio:~/Desktop/tmp$ regsvr32 wineasio.dll
wine: created the configuration directory '/home/spinymouse/.wine'
fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on TerraTec EWX24/96, disabling mixer
fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on HDA ATI HDMI, disabling mixer
Could not load Mozilla. HTML rendering will be disabled.
wine: configuration in '/home/spinymouse/.wine' has been updated.
Failed to load DLL wineasio.dll

I tried again as root:

64studio:/home/spinymouse/Desktop/tmp# regsvr32 wineasio.dll
wine: created the configuration directory '/root/.wine'
fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on TerraTec EWX24/96, disabling mixer
fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on HDA ATI HDMI, disabling mixer
Could not load Mozilla. HTML rendering will be disabled.
wine: configuration in '/root/.wine' has been updated.
Failed to load DLL wineasio.dll

Ignoring this I exit again and as user I run

winecfg

Pasting after copying from the mail is a little bit strange today, anyway I got the internet message again and went on.

> Under the audio tab, select ALSA, and press ok.

There isn't USB-MIDI, but I need this because I can't use the TerraTec's
MIDI and I have no other MIDI, the rest looks good. I didn't enabled the
driver emulation, just pressed ok.

> Now, download the latest installer executable from the Reaper website:
> http://www.cockos.com/reaper/download.php
>
> install in a terminal with the command:
> wine reaper2301-install.exe

I'm still user and run

spinymouse@64studio:~/Desktop/tmp$ ls
dvdramtools in reaper2301-install.exe regsvr32 winecfg
spinymouse@64studio:~/Desktop/tmp$ wine reaper2301-install.exe

I got the internet warning again, I agreed the licence agreement, but
there is a problem, I can't test it in the next 30 days, also one of
this stupid regimentations that makes people using cracks. I went on,
installed and closed.
"Run now?" No.

> It will install Reaper, and even stick a launch icon on the desktop.

On the KDE Desktop there are to Icons, one is REAPER.desktop and the
other is REAPER.link, the Icons are without a logo.

> Now,
>
> * Start jack, the normal way.
> * Press <Alt><F2>, and type "jackbridge" and press enter (only do
> this in 64bit)

I run QJackCtl by the desktop icon. Instead of Alt+F2 I tried to run
jackbridge by Yakuake, but the command wasn't found. I tried Alt+F2 and
jackbridge also could not be started. Maybe I have to downgrade jackd
it's 0.109.2-3. I only need KDE from Lenny. Maybe I have to downgrade
wine, but that didn't work, as you know.

I enabled 64studio, 64studio testing, etch main from the ftp server and
disabled all other repositories. I reloaded the package information. I'm
able to remove, but not to reinstall jackd, there seems to be trouble
with the etch main repository.

I ignored that jackbridge won't be there too.

> * double click on the reaper launch icon

I used the .desktop icon. Got the internet message, clicked okay and
than there was

"BradSucks [...]" in the background and the project setting box. I leave
it unchanged by okay and get the "About REAPER" box, I closed it and
clicked the start button of the reaper transport.

It runs. The demo comes only with audio tracks. I didn't turn on my
console because there is jackbridge missing, but it looks fine.

There is an external editor for the OGG demo files missing.

Wow, it's not Cubase but even so it, e.g. can mute and unmute single
items (parts, segments or what ever you'll call this) by using the mouse
while it plays. Something that's impossible to do with Rosegarden and
mybe Ardour can do this too, but Ardour has got no MIDI sequencer,
except the Subversion version.

> When Reaper starts up, and you are in the interface, press <Ctrl>P for
> preferences, and under Audio -> Device, select ASIO
>
> Now, open your jack-control connections interface and connect the
> jackbridge outputs with your alsa inputs.
>
> Press play in Reaper...
>
> Please give feedback on your progress.
>
> Thanks,
> Quentin

I didn't try the last steps, because I'm short in time and there is
still the problem with the wineasio.dll and jackbridge. REAPER seems to
be okay and very interesting, even if the fonts are a little bit to small.

I hope my problems can be solved. Oops, it gets late, actual I won't do
this today, I have a list of things to do, I just won't to give you a
quick reply, that's why I didn't searched the net for help. I need a way
to get back the Etch repository. There's no error while enabling or
disabling any repository, but if I sort the order by up and down, it
will be lost after closing the window. There's no error when reloading
the repositories.

I changed preferences for upgardes from highest version to stable,
anyhow I only could remove jackd, reinstallation isn't available.

pinymouse@64studio:~/Desktop/tmp$ ls
dvdramtools in reaper2301-install.exe regsvr32 winecfg

dvdram tools has nothing to do with this thread, but in, regsvr32 and
winecfg have been generated by "the process", maybe they are wrong in
~/Desttop/tmp.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 07-02-2008, 01:46 PM
Ralf Mardorf

> in a terminal, enter the following:
>
> regsvr32 wineasio.dll
> winecfg

Does "in a terminal, enter the following" implement to do this as user in ~ and not as user in some ~/download-dir? I can't test it now and there's still the other problem with Synaptic, that's not able to get packages from the etch main repository.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Ralf Mardorf

>>Under the audio tab, select ALSA, and press ok.
>>

>There isn't USB-MIDI, but I need this because I can't use the TerraTec's
>MIDI and I have no other MIDI, the rest looks good. I didn't enabled the
>driver emulation, just pressed ok.

Resp. it looks good enough for me, if there will be the TerraTec and the missing USB-MIDI, but from the two Intel there's only one implemented.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:00 PM
Ralf Mardorf

OT:

* double click on the reaper launch icon

Hm, I prefer single clicks for KDE and GNOME, as far as possible and it makes me wonder that double clicks came into fashion again.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:25 PM
Quentin Harley

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Hi Quentin
>
> here's what I did:

Thanks for testing. It seems there is still a little problem with the
.deb file I built :-P

I will try to fix it, and then I'll try again.

Dave also reported the wine packages missing... I'll have Free look
into it, and in the mean time I'll post the alternative when I fixed the
.deb

Cheers,
Quentin