Old 07-01-2008, 06:11 PM
Jaromír Mikeš

Default bash_completion

Hi all,

I've got this message "What you would like to do about bash_completion?" during upgrading some packages in lenny.
Default choice was "keep the local version currently installed" and I've used it.
What is going about and where I can find some info about it?
Google didn't help too much.

Thanks

mirami

Old 07-18-2008, 10:49 PM
Michael Jarosch

Jarom*r Mikeš schrieb:
> Hi all,
>
> I've got this message "What you would like to do about bash_completion?" during upgrading some packages in lenny.
> Default choice was "keep the local version currently installed" and I've used it.
> What is going about and where I can find some info about it?
The bash_completion is a kind of extension of the bash. It helps,
getting the right parameters or options to the command you're using on
the console. F.e. if you want to use apt-get and you don't know, what
parameters to use, type

"apt-get "

and press the TAB-Button twice. Voila, there are some examples:

autoclean build-dep clean ...

and so on! If you know the command and you're lazy, type the first
character of the command you wanna use and bash_completion finishes the
word. I guess it's pretty cool and I recommend using it! Just type

"source /etc/bash_completion"

and you got the feature. You can also add it to your .bashrc to load it
at every login.

Mitsch

Old 07-22-2008, 01:15 PM
Jaromír Mikeš

Hi Michael,

Sorry for late answer I've been out for a while...
I've guessed that it is this function.. but now it is clear for me.

Thank you for detailed explanation...

Cheers mirami

< ------------ Původn* zpráva ------------
< Od: Michael Jarosch <riotsound@riotmusic.de>
< Předmět: Re: [64studio-users] bash_completion
< Datum: 19.7.2008 01:35:46
< ----------------------------------------
< Jarom*r Mikeš schrieb:
< > Hi all,
< >
< > I've got this message "What you would like to do about bash_completion?"
< during upgrading some packages in lenny.
< > Default choice was "keep the local version currently installed" and I've used
< it.
< > What is going about and where I can find some info about it?
< The bash_completion is a kind of extension of the bash. It helps,
< getting the right parameters or options to the command you're using on
< the console. F.e. if you want to use apt-get and you don't know, what
< parameters to use, type
<
< "apt-get "
<
< and press the TAB-Button twice. Voila, there are some examples:
<
< autoclean build-dep clean ...
<
< and so on! If you know the command and you're lazy, type the first
< character of the command you wanna use and bash_completion finishes the
< word. I guess it's pretty cool and I recommend using it! Just type
<
< "source /etc/bash_completion"
<
< and you got the feature. You can also add it to your .bashrc to load it
< at every login.
<
< Mitsch
<