-   -   webcam ? (http://www.linux-archive.org/64-studio-user/116318-webcam.html)

Ralf Mardorf 06-30-2008 04:53 PM

webcam ?

Dave Phillips wrote:
> Ah, webcams, a new PITA. :(

Searching the web for your cam, I read that people are fine with your
cam, while using gspca V4L. Maybe the realtime kernel is the problem.

There is one application for Linux I'm, for my needs, absolutely fine
with. It's GIMP, but I fear to buy a graphic tablet, because of all this
hardware troubles.

If I understood your mail, English isn't my strong point, the camera is
fine, when virmidi isn't fine and virmidi is fine, when the camera isn't.

Have you tested another kernel to rule out the possibility that it has
to do with the kernel?

I'm a noob with Linux, but I often found out that realtime kernels
sometimes are problematic, resp. another realtime kernel sometimes will
solve problems.

Ralf Mardorf 06-30-2008 05:19 PM

webcam ?

You should ask Logitech, resp. the coder of the driver for help.

"Non-UVC webcams

Note that all these cameras have USB Vendor ID (VID) 046D.

Please keep in mind that all of the drivers referenced below are based
on reverse-engineered information. The devices that appear here have
been reported to work by some people but whether they work or not may
depend on many factors like the hardware being used. If you run into
issues, please try to contact the drivers' authors. If you can provide
them with useful information, they will often be more than happy to help
you get your device to work properly."
(http://www.quickcamteam.net/hcl/linux/logitech-webcams)

They seems to be interested to be compatible with Linux.

"Peter Geirnaert" 06-30-2008 07:31 PM

webcam ?

Speaking of webcams , are there packages to use a webcam as a controller for sending e.g. MIDI CC ?
I didn't look for it myself yet but I will post a list of useful stuff when I find something ..
Just thought it would be an interesting question ..

greetings
Peter

tim hall 07-03-2008 07:35 AM

webcam ?

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Dave Phillips wrote:
>
>> Ah, webcams, a new PITA. :(
>>

> Have you tested another kernel to rule out the possibility that it has
> to do with the kernel?

Webcam operability does depend on having the appropriate support in the
kernel. I looked at this ages ago, but gave up because I really wasn't
that bothered about having a webcam working. Probably not such a helpful
remark, sorry.

cheers,

tim