-   -   REAPER (http://www.linux-archive.org/64-studio-user/116139-reaper.html)

Ralf Mardorf 06-30-2008 12:44 PM

REAPER

Hi :)

today I heard the first time about REAPER http://www.reaper.fm/, this
looks very elaborated. I wonder that such an application will run on
Linux by using wine. If this is possible, it might be possible to run
Cubase on Linux by using wine. Has anybody ever checked out to run Cubase?

It would be also good if it will be possible to run the Atari Cubase,
but I think there will be a problem with the dongle key. Maybe there is
some kind of Atari cartridge slot emulation for PCI. I don't think so,
but it might be better to asked.

Cheers,
Ralf

Dave Phillips 06-30-2008 01:08 PM

REAPER

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> today I heard the first time about REAPER http://www.reaper.fm/, this
> looks very elaborated. I wonder that such an application will run on
> Linux by using wine. If this is possible, it might be possible to run
> Cubase on Linux by using wine. Has anybody ever checked out to run Cubase?

From what I've heard it will not run under Wine. I can't afford to buy
it, and I won't use a crack, so I haven't tested it myself.

> It would be also good if it will be possible to run the Atari Cubase,
> but I think there will be a problem with the dongle key. Maybe there is
> some kind of Atari cartridge slot emulation for PCI. I don't think so,
> but it might be better to asked.
If you mean the Cubase MIDI sequencer for Atari, it will run under the
XSteem and Hatari emulators. And it is available for free. :)

See this page:

http://linux-sound.org/different.html

Best,

dp

Ralf Mardorf 06-30-2008 01:40 PM

REAPER

Dave Phillips wrote:
> Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> today I heard the first time about REAPER http://www.reaper.fm/, this
>> looks very elaborated. I wonder that such an application will run on
>> Linux by using wine. If this is possible, it might be possible to run
>> Cubase on Linux by using wine. Has anybody ever checked out to run
>> Cubase?
>>
> From what I've heard it will not run under Wine. I can't afford to buy
> it, and I won't use a crack, so I haven't tested it myself.

That's why I thought about the Atari MIDI sequencer, I have the latest
Atari version as original, not as a crack, but the problem is, that I
need a dongle key for it. No problem with my ST, but because of a lack
of space in my homerecording room, I can't use the ST any more.

>> It would be also good if it will be possible to run the Atari Cubase,
>> but I think there will be a problem with the dongle key. Maybe there is
>> some kind of Atari cartridge slot emulation for PCI. I don't think so,
>> but it might be better to asked.
> If you mean the Cubase MIDI sequencer for Atari, it will run under the
> XSteem and Hatari emulators. And it is available for free. :)
>
> See this page:
>
> http://linux-sound.org/different.html
>
> Best,
>
> dp

Wow, thank you. If this free version is also the latest Atari version I
recommend to everybody to test it. There's no free Linux sequencer with
that professional functions available. I hope this is the latest Atari
version and that it is stable and can connect to Jack and that I can use
the Matrix-1000 realtime SysEx editor from my Atari with it. Shit, I
haven't a disk drive or an SCSI port any more for my PC, but I can check
this out.

Certainly the Atari Cubase is not a sequencer for everybody. Some people
for sure don't need exotic functions, e.g. that are advantages for video
setting, they might be more fine with the advantage Rosegarden has got,
MIDI and audio files in the same environment and virtual synth.

If this Atari Cubase emulation is fine, I will use conditional to the
work I will do, Rosegarden or Cubase.

Has anybody testet it?

Cheers,
Ralf

Ralf Mardorf 06-30-2008 01:51 PM

REAPER

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Wow, thank you. If this free version is also the latest Atari version I
> recommend to everybody to test it.

It looks like if this is some very odd version, that has nothing to do
with the latest Atari Cubase, I didn't read the documentation until now,
but it seems to be a "light" version, that has nothing to do with the
professional Atari Cubase.

Ralf Mardorf 06-30-2008 02:01 PM

REAPER

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
>> Wow, thank you. If this free version is also the latest Atari version I
>> recommend to everybody to test it.
>>

> It looks like if this is some very odd version, that has nothing to do
> with the latest Atari Cubase, I didn't read the documentation until now,
> but it seems to be a "light" version, that has nothing to do with the
> professional Atari Cubase.

Yep, it's not the latest dongle version I've got and it comes without
the professional features I'm missing with Linux sequencers, it looks
like Rosegarden is better than this free Cubase version. It seems to be
more a joke, than an Atari Cubase :(.

Anyhow thank you :), I didn't know that there are Atari MIDI emulations
for Linux. Later I will read more, maybe there are some professionals
among them.

"Nate figlar" 06-30-2008 02:16 PM

REAPER

Ralf,

Check the Q&A section on the cubase page on the site there is a link
to a UK site that has it available. I just quickly glanced at it but
it was something like 59 GBP. hope this helps

nate

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 10:01 AM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>>
>>> Wow, thank you. If this free version is also the latest Atari version I
>>> recommend to everybody to test it.
>>>

>> It looks like if this is some very odd version, that has nothing to do
>> with the latest Atari Cubase, I didn't read the documentation until now,
>> but it seems to be a "light" version, that has nothing to do with the
>> professional Atari Cubase.
>>

> Yep, it's not the latest dongle version I've got and it comes without
> the professional features I'm missing with Linux sequencers, it looks
> like Rosegarden is better than this free Cubase version. It seems to be
> more a joke, than an Atari Cubase :(.
>
> Anyhow thank you :), I didn't know that there are Atari MIDI emulations
> for Linux. Later I will read more, maybe there are some professionals
> among them.

Nathan Figlar

Ralf Mardorf 06-30-2008 02:39 PM

REAPER

Nate figlar wrote:
> Ralf,
>
> Check the Q&A section on the cubase page on the site there is a link
> to a UK site that has it available. I just quickly glanced at it but
> it was something like 59 GBP. hope this helps
>
> nate

Thank you Nate :)

I will do his later, at the moment I'm in passing. I have to say that
I'm able to do homerecording with Linux, but I'm missing some things
that are not really required for homerecording. Maybe Ardour will become
that kind of tool I would like to have. I hope that this year 64 Studio
3.0 will be released and that it comes with an Ardour that supports
MIDI, at the moment available, unstable as SVN version.

I guess I sometimes sounds crazed ;).

Cheers,
Ralf

Ralf Mardorf 07-01-2008 02:14 PM

REAPER

Hi Quentin :)

thank you.

Cheers,
Ralf

Ralf Mardorf 07-03-2008 03:19 PM

REAPER

A very quick test of some things, all while playing the demo OGGs.

Recording notes via USB-MIDI is fine.

Playing notes via through out, connected by Jack to ZynAddSubFX, is fine.

Directly USB-MIDI in > REAPER > through out > ZynAddSubFX, is fine,
latencies are as usual.

Saving the project seems to be fine.

The way recordings are shown as layers and the way they can be muted and
unmuted is fine.

All doing this without reading anything.

If some other things also will be fine, this will be my Linux Sequencer
and HD recorder. Until now it looks like Rosegarden can't keep place
with REAPER.

I hope there will be no need to stop my euphoria.

I now will look for a SATA HD, next month for the NVidia card and if I'm
fine with REAPER, I'll buy the licence. If the problem with the Intel
audio can be solved I'm fine with my Linux DAW. I think my report will
come through within the next day, if not I'll write about the trouble again.

No Internet for REAPER, but that doesn't matter.

Does anybody know how to increase the fonts for REAPER, resp. for wine?

:)

Cheers,
Ralf

Ralf Mardorf 07-30-2008 05:50 PM

Reaper

Hi :)

because I'm near to make music, some problems delayed this for a whole
month, I won't risk to much.

Reaper v2.301 seems to run stable. Does anybody upgrade to Reaper v2.42?
Internet for Reaper is fine, so I was informed about an upgrade.

Am I safe by just making a backup of .wine and if an upgrade of Reaper
will be unstable, to delete the new .wine and restore it by the backup
of the .wine I have now, or are there any other folders and files I have
to backup?

Cheers,
Ralf