Old 06-29-2008, 12:05 PM
Dragan Noveski

Default mounting usb-storage devices

hallo list,
the 2.1 installation has this feature of automatically mounting usb
storage devices.
that also works well here, but i would like to know how is this happening.
looking into /etc/fstab...mtab, does not seem to be handling this, so i
would like to know, if it is not so difficult to explain, which
mechanisms is used for this?
i have this question, because i am planing to remove the gnome desktop
and install an fluxbox, so i am not sure if i will have to change sth in
the /etc/fstab later.

cheers,
doc

Old 06-30-2008, 08:27 AM
Free Ekanayaka

Hi Dragan,

|--==> Dragan Noveski writes:

DN> hallo list,
DN> the 2.1 installation has this feature of automatically mounting usb
DN> storage devices.
DN> that also works well here, but i would like to know how is this happening.
DN> looking into /etc/fstab...mtab, does not seem to be handling this, so i
DN> would like to know, if it is not so difficult to explain, which
DN> mechanisms is used for this?
DN> i have this question, because i am planing to remove the gnome desktop
DN> and install an fluxbox, so i am not sure if i will have to change sth in
DN> the /etc/fstab later.

It's a combination of udev, hal, and gnome-volume-manager. Launching
gnome-volume-manager should get you automount with any window manager.

Ciao!

Free

Old 06-30-2008, 10:27 AM
"Peter Geirnaert"

I just found out gnome-volume-properties brings up a nice configuration window to set "Removable Drives and Media Preferences"
but I'm not sure if this is also used when you remove the gnome desktop .