Old 06-26-2008, 06:45 AM
"Peter Geirnaert"

Default Synthedit with wine

Hello friends of 64 Studio,

To start, I'm very pleased now that this popular program "SynthEdit" (version1.0) for making VST plugins
is working* well with the latest wine version (1.0.0-1.64studio~etch1).

With wine version 0.9.54-1~etch1(64studio) , I got error messages when I (dis)connected any sound in or outputs,
the error said "sound engine not responding" but it kept working fine, now with version 1.0.0-1.64studio~etch1 , these messages are gone.

I just downloaded the preview of Synthedit version 1.1 which is a testing preview, not yet released
but I'd like to see it working on 64studio too. I f it does, I will finally be able to completely wipe away the

windows partition from my little hard disk 'cause SynthEdit would be the only program I'd ever miss on a Linux box.

I also think it would be interesting for Linux audio users if SynthEdit users or developers would join

the 64 Studio community, I mean it's a lot of useful knowledge they have,* at least,* I've learned much from the SynthEdit users list.

But actually my question is if there's a Linux equivalent to make effect or synth plugins that you can export and use
in a program like Ardour, Rosegarden, Lmms, ... with or without programming knowledge (and what language would be best to learn) ?

I'm thinking of Alsa Modular Synth because it looks similar to SynthEdit, except it doesn't export a plugin, it only saves the patch, and there's no GUI editor.

Thanks in advance for any directions ..

Peter

PS: Last year Mbreges and I made this VST plugin FFDelay as an entry for the KVR Developer Challenge 2007, I made the GUI, using Blender.

We started on the project only ten days before the plugin had to be entered in the competition. (I mention this to give an example of how fast plugins can be developed with SynthEdit)
I'd like to make something this year again, and it would be great if I could do it completely on the 64 Studio installation.

Cheers on the new wine !

Old 06-26-2008, 07:49 AM
"Peter Geirnaert"

When I right-click the downloaded SE_XP.msi SythEdit v1.1 preview setup file, and choose open with msiexec, nothing happens.
In the terminal , I see these err and fixme warnings:

peter@64studio:~/Desktop/Downloads/SE$ msiexec --help

err:ntlm:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path.
err:ntlm:SECUR32_initNTLMSP Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.

fixme:advapi:RegisterTraceGuidsW 0x100778a 0x100a060 0x1001818 1 0x33fe78 (null) (null) 0x100a068
fixme:advapi:RegisterTraceGuidsW 0x100778a 0x100a080 0x1001808 1 0x33fe78 (null) (null) 0x100a088
fixme:advapi:RegisterTraceGuidsW 0x100778a 0x100a0a0 0x10017f8 1 0x33fe78 (null) (null) 0x100a0a8

fixme:advapi:RegisterTraceGuidsW 0x100778a 0x100a0c0 0x10017e8 1 0x33fe78 (null) (null) 0x100a0c8
fixme:advapi:RegisterTraceGuidsW 0x100778a 0x100a0e0 0x10017d8 1 0x33fe78 (null) (null) 0x100a0e8
fixme:advapi:RegisterTraceGuidsW 0x100778a 0x100a100 0x10017c8 1 0x33fe78 (null) (null) 0x100a108

fixme:win:RegisterDeviceNotificationW (hwnd=0x1427e8, filter=0x7e4f990c,flags=0x00000001), STUB!

So I'd install the latest winbind package with Synaptic. but there I see the latest version is 3.0.24-6etch10 (stable)

I have the backports and testing repositories enabled.
Maybe I can downgrade wine back to the previous version, then install SynthEdit , and then upgrade wine again, I'll try that ...

Greetings
Peter

Old 06-26-2008, 09:26 AM
Free Ekanayaka

Hi Peter,

thanks for your interesting report. I think wine can help a lot in
some cases.

PG> Maybe I can downgrade wine back to the previous version, then install
PG> SynthEdit , and then upgrade wine again, I'll try that ...

That could work. Please let us know how it goes.

Ciao!

Free

Old 06-26-2008, 09:37 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Peter Geirnaert wrote:
> To start, I'm very pleased now that this popular program "SynthEdit
> <http://www.synthedit.com>" (version1.0) for making VST plugins
> is working well with the latest wine version (1.0.0-1.64studio~etch1).

I'll test this program , because I'm not fine with programming for
Linux and I need some applications that has to be programmed.

> with or without programming knowledge (and what language would be best
> to learn) ?

C and C++. I programmed for other OSs, most times using Assembler, but C
and C++ is better for Linux because of the APIs, but take a look at
LADSPA's homepage http://www.ladspa.org/.

"And here are some tools for generating plugins:

* csLADSPA <http://www.ear.ie/csLADSPA.htm> allows plugins to be
written with the Csound <http://www.csounds.com> programming language.
* Faust <http://faust.grame.fr/> is a compiled DSP language that can
be used to produce LADSPA plugins.
* GDAM <http://gdam.ffem.org> provides facilities to generate
plugins automatically from graphs of simple plugins."

C and C++ is a disaster, when programming for Linux. For me it was to
hard to do the makefiles and also experienced coders for Linux have the
same problem, see Ardour's homepage http://ardour.org/building :

"SCons

Ardour uses an excellent software build system called SCons
<http://www.scons.org/>. Please refer to its web site for more
detailled information and the SCons manual
<http://www.scons.org/doc/HTML/scons-user/book1.html>.

We switched to SCons because of the amazingly poor quality,
consistency and overall design of the auto* tools traditionally used
by Unix software projects. There comes a point in time where adding
another 200 lines to a multi-thousand line shell script should be
taken as a sign that something is wrong with the basic idea for the
tool. SCons has proved itself entirely worthy of the few days of
transition that were required.

On the other hand, SCons is not without its problems, and we look
forward to the emergence of variants such as |waf| in the future

If you have any additional questions on SCons, please post them on
the ardour-dev mailing list. ardour-users should not be bothered
about it yet to not confuse normal users."

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 06-26-2008, 09:43 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Instead of LADSPA and DSSI (http://dssi.sourceforge.net/) it might be
better to do some applications for LV2 (http://lv2plug.in/) because this
should be more like VST, not wasting resources like LADSPA and DSSI does.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:55 AM
"Peter Geirnaert"

reporting the cross platform adventure ..

When downgrading

wine from "1.0.0-1.64studio~etch1" to "0.9.54-1~etch1"

then the following packages

libwine-alsa,
libwine-cms,

libwine-gl,

libwine-gphoto2,

libwine-jack,

libwine-ldap,

libwine-print,

libwine-sane,

libwine-utils

are to be removed.

but when I hit 'apply', I got an error reply, details:

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/wine_0.9.54-1~etch1_i386.deb: trying to

overwrite `/usr/bin/wine', which is also in package wine-bin

so if my logic thinking is right, I'll remove wine-bin first ...
well first I hit apply again, but got the reply to fix broken packages first,

doing that gave me the message* that an error occured, details:

I removed all wine related packages ('all'= the result of search "wine" in Synaptic)

now let's try force version 0.9.54-1~etch1 again ...

only wine* 0.9.54-1~etch1 installed and succesfully
Synaptic automatically marked the newer wine packages to be upgraded but I unmarked them all.
Disable the 64studio testing and backports repository ... mm, feels like not a good idea

Try install SE_XP.msi now again ....
peter@64studio:~/Desktop/Downloads/SE$ msiexec SE_XP.msi
err:ntlm:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path.

err:ntlm:SECUR32_initNTLMSP Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
fixme:advapi:RegisterTraceGuidsW 0x100778a 0x100a060 0x1001818 1 0x33fe78 (null) (null) 0x100a068
fixme:advapi:RegisterTraceGuidsW 0x100778a 0x100a080 0x1001808 1 0x33fe78 (null) (null) 0x100a088

fixme:advapi:RegisterTraceGuidsW 0x100778a 0x100a0a0 0x10017f8 1 0x33fe78 (null) (null) 0x100a0a8
fixme:advapi:RegisterTraceGuidsW 0x100778a 0x100a0c0 0x10017e8 1 0x33fe78 (null) (null) 0x100a0c8
fixme:advapi:RegisterTraceGuidsW 0x100778a 0x100a0e0 0x10017d8 1 0x33fe78 (null) (null) 0x100a0e8

fixme:advapi:RegisterTraceGuidsW 0x100778a 0x100a100 0x10017c8 1 0x33fe78 (null) (null) 0x100a108

peter@64studio:~/Desktop/Downloads/SE$ wine --version
wine-0.9.54

mm, I guess I'll have to level up from my newbieness to get stuff like this working ...

I upgraded wine again with the testing and backports repositories disabled ...
peter@64studio:~$ wine --version
wine-1.0
and now only the wine package is installed, and SynthEdit gives me "sound engine not responding' messages again, there's also no sound. Now I'll install wineasio to see ... mm, it's version 0.5-1~bpo.1 when testing and backports repositories are disabled. I'll enable them again.

Now wine can upgrade from 1.0.0~winehq0~debian~4.0-1 to 1.0.0-1.64studio~etch1 again
so first I'll see if SynthEdit can run without wineasio but just the latest wine version for 64studio ...
Some other packagesare to be installed:

libwine, libwine-alsa, libwine-cms, libwine-gl, libwine-gphoto2, libwine-ldap, libwine-print, libwine-sane, wine-bin, wine-utils
I hit mark and apply, (btw, SynthEdit is still running while I do all this messing around )

.. an error occured, details:
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/libwine_1.0.0-1.64studio1~etch1_i386.deb: trying to overwrite `/usr/share/man/man1/wineserver.1.gz', which is also in package wine

but simply hitting 'apply' again installed libwine just fine. Anyway, SynthEdit is still giving "sound engine not responding' messages.

now I install wineasio 0.6a-1

Oh damn, I just see that my SynthEdit patches where not correct and it's normal they don't produce sound.
Now my testing wasn't really completely correct. Well, not about when I said that there was no sound.

So, wineasio 0.6a-1 is installed, I restarted synthedit, but still get the same "sound engine not responding' messages.
It's a little anoying as they come with each connection i change in my patches in SynthEdit, but this doesn't prevent it making sound and even writing to a wave file works ..

so far this report

Old 06-26-2008, 10:23 AM
Dave Phillips

Peter Geirnaert wrote:
> [snip]
> so far this report
Hi Peter,

I don't know if it will help, but I've heard that if you put a native
Windows gdiplus.dll in the Wine system32 directory you might be able to
run some otherwise "difficult" plugins. Perhaps it would help with
Synthedit too ? Btw, I agree that Synthedit is very cool stuff.

If you're looking for something similar for Linux, perhaps CLAM or FAUST
will do the trick ?

Best,

dp

Old 06-26-2008, 10:49 AM
"Peter Geirnaert"

Regarding the programming languages,

C++ would be very interesting as development of third party modules for SynthEdit is also done in C++
Maybe it's possible to make SynthEdit modules that are impossible to make for windows ?

(e.g. a jack output module, I'm just brainstorming)

Also LV2 and the Turtle language look very interesting,
I guess a SynthEdit-like program for LV2 would be mmmmm

btw, the link on the Turtle page to the definitive
Turtle Grammar section goes to
http://www.dajobe.org/2004/01/turtle/sec-grammar
a page that only states:

"Go away" .

I think this is sort of funny, but not really very informative (more googles to do)

I'll install faust version 0.9.8-1(stable) which I find in Synaptic, but clam only shows me some antivirus packages. (google todo)

Old 06-26-2008, 10:53 AM
"Peter Geirnaert"

btw, the link on the Turtle page to the definitive
Turtle Grammar section goes to
http://www.dajobe.org/2004/01/turtle/sec-grammar

a page that only states:

"Go away" .the Turtle Grammar is here :
http://www.dajobe.org/2004/01/turtle/#sec-grammar ;-)

Old 06-26-2008, 11:20 AM
Dave Phillips

Hi Peter,

The CLAM you want is here:

http://clam.iua.upf.edu/

FAUST is here:

http://faust.grame.fr/

You might also want to check out Albert Graef's Q project:

http://q-lang.sourceforge.net/

Best,

dp