Old 06-24-2008, 10:14 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Default SATA hard discs

Quentin Harley wrote:
> Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> Hm, why? This is one advantage of Linux, that the BIOS isn't to
>> essential. Even the latest BIOS update of my M2A-VM HDMI is said not to
>> be fine with Windows. I'm only running Linux and until now Linux has
>> been fine with each BIOS for this board. I guess that the BIOS, even
>> with Linux, is controlling some off the mobos components. Can there be
>> trouble for Linux, because the BIOS isn't fine?
>
> Absolutely... This is what kept me from using 64 Studio while the
> hardware manufacturers still tried to fix the bios. It took them a
> whole year to fix it, while I tried to make 64studio to work on my new
> system without any joy. At least they got it right in the end!
>
> Cheers,
> Quentin

Hi Quentin

poo, knocking on wood. It was, resp. is still a hard way to get my
hardware running with Linux.

What graphic card I have to buy seems to be relative clear.

I need a SATA hard disc. Linux must be fine with my IDE hard disc, IDE
DVD device and this SATA. There are many low-cost SATA hard discs. Is
there anything I should take care of, if I will use this three devices
together and the SATA, among other things, should be used for hd recording?

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 06-24-2008, 10:28 AM
Quentin Harley

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> I need a SATA hard disc. Linux must be fine with my IDE hard disc, IDE
> DVD device and this SATA. There are many low-cost SATA hard discs. Is
> there anything I should take care of, if I will use this three devices
> together and the SATA, among other things, should be used for hd recording?

My current system runs three hard drives, two are 160Gig Seagate SATA
drives, and one is a identical drive, but PATA (IDE) i cannibalised from
my original system when it got "decommissioned" Works well. I just had
an issue with my motherboard that wanted to boot from the IDE drive, and
not from SATA after I added the drive. I had to install 64studio's boot
partition on that drive, and then all was fine again. It will depend on
your motherboard what you will have to do to make it work. Adding SATA
drives should not pose a problem, I think.

Hope it works well!

Quentin

Old 06-24-2008, 11:01 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Quentin Harley wrote:
> Adding SATA drives should not pose a problem, I think.

Okay .

Hm, I only can buy one thing a month. Maybe I should order next month
the SATA drive, because NVidia might change something for the driver for
the GeForce 8 family until the month after, on the other hand I need a
graphic card more than a second hard disc and all 8 family cards are
advertised with OpenGL, also I could order a GeForce 7 family card.
On the other hand again, having a new hard disc I could install a stable
64 Studio and Suse and also held the versions I have now and I could
risk, e.g. to fix the IDE's CHS/LBA inconsistency by doing a low level
format, I won't do at the moment, because of "superstition", resp. a
need for security.

Is there a psychic who knows what way is the best for me .

Old 06-24-2008, 03:06 PM
Gustin Johnson