Old 06-22-2008, 06:59 PM
Quentin Harley

Default Which NVida card might be the best?

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Which NVidia card might be the best for use with 64 Studio ex 2.1 and
> Linux in general?

The easy answer is the highest end card with support. The list of
supported devices is listed in the info on the nvidia glx driver in
synaptic. http://www.64studio.com/node/602#comment-2454

Higher cards are supported by the latest nvidia driver, and this info
you will find on the nvidia web page, or on this remark:
http://www.64studio.com/node/602#comment-2455

Cheers,
Quentin

Old 06-22-2008, 07:45 PM
Gustin Johnson

Old 06-23-2008, 03:08 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Quentin Harley wrote:
> Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> Which NVidia card might be the best for use with 64 Studio ex 2.1 and
>> Linux in general?
>>

> The easy answer is the highest end card with support. The list of
> supported devices is listed in the info on the nvidia glx driver in
> synaptic. http://www.64studio.com/node/602#comment-2454
>
> Higher cards are supported by the latest nvidia driver, and this info
> you will find on the nvidia web page, or on this remark:
> http://www.64studio.com/node/602#comment-2455
>
> Cheers,
> Quentin

Hi Quentin hi Gustin

thank you.

I copied the latest NVida cards into the Google search. Some are without
offer for sale within the first hits and others are with hits, but they
are very expensive.

I guess for my needs a less fast 3D support without a fan, in relation
to a card with a fan, is the better choice. The specifications of the
load seems to be 10W to 20W. All specifications seems to vary in values
for the same chip set.

Only the GeForce 8500 GT and the GeForce 7300 GS, depending on the money
on-hand, seems to be the right once, of the once under 50.00 EUR I
found. As far as I remember all cards below are advertised with OpenGL
support. I guess I've overlooked them in the list. I'll find out later.

If there are no provisos against one of this two cards, or advices for
better once under 50.00 EUR, I'll order one of those.

GeForce 8500 GT (maybe not in the list of supported chip sets)
VGA D-SUB 15 pole / S-Video mini-DIN / DVI-I / HDTV
Memory Amount 256MB
Memory Interface 128-bit
Memory Clock 500 to 600MHz without fan
Core Clock 500MHz without fan
Memory Bandwidth 12.8GB/sec
Texture Fill Rate 3.6billion/sec
about 40.00 EUR

GeForce 7300 GS (in the list of supported chip sets)
VGA D-SUB 15 pole / S-Video mini-DIN / DVI-? / HDTV
Memory Amount 256MB
Memory Interface 64-bit
Memory Clock ? without fan
Core Clock ? without fan
Memory Bandwidth 6.5GB/s
Texture Fill Rate 2.2billion/sec
less than 30.00 EUR

GeForce 7200 GS - 256P (maybe not in the list of supported chip sets)
VGA D-SUB 15 pole / S-Video existent? / DVI-? / HDTV
Memory Amount 256MB
Memory Interface 64-bit
Memory Clock 300 to 533MHz without fan
Core Clock 450MHz without fan
Memory Bandwidth 6.4 GB/sec
Texture Fill Rate 0.9 billion/sec
30.00 to 40.00 EUR

GeForce 7200 GS - 128P (maybe not in the list of supported chip sets)
VGA D-SUB 15 pole / S-Video existent? / DVI-? / HDTV
Memory Amount 128MB
Memory Interface 32-bit
Memory Clock 533MHz without fan
Core Clock 450MHz without fan
Memory Bandwidth ?
Texture Fill Rate ?
about 25.00 EUR

GeForce 6200 LE (in the list of supported chip sets)
VGA D-SUB 15 pole / Video Cinch / DVI-I
Memory Amount 64MB
Memory Interface 64-bit
Memory Clock ? without fan
Core Clock 350 MHz without fan
Memory Bandwidth 12.0GB/sec
Texture Fill Rate 0.7billon/sec
less than 25.00 EUR

To abolish the annoying troubles, without having to much work, I need
some new hardware.

1. A NVidia graphics card for every Linux
2. A SATA hard disk not required for 64 Studio, but I have to low level
format my PATA for Suse
3. A display that won't care about the vertical refresh rate, only
required for 64 Studio, because only there I have trouble with the
vertical refresh rate

It's foreseeable that I can do homerecording using 64 Studio and that
Linux will satisfy enough of my needs within a given time , only a
display will be impossible to get.

Trying to fix my broken 64 Studio I will check out if a reinstall of the
whole alsa and xorg stuff, the kernel and maybe the 64studio* packages
at this state will solve the trouble.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 06-23-2008, 11:13 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Some good sources might be NVidia's homepage too:

PCIe:
http://nvidia.alternate.de/html/shop/searchListing4CSort.html?searchCriteria=nvidia&cat 1=009&cat2=256&cat3=000&&treeName=Artikel&Level1=G rafikkarten&Level2=PCIe&

PCI:
http://nvidia.alternate.de/html/shop/searchListing4CSort.html?searchCriteria=nvidia&cat 1=009&cat2=041&cat3=000&&treeName=Artikel&Level1=G rafikkarten&Level2=PCI&

I've seen some other 7 and 8 cards that might be interesting, by all
means, I think I will by a passive PCIe one from the 7 or 8 series.
There are some under 50.00 EUR.

Has anybody one of this cards? I guess someone wrote about 7 series
cards, I will search Icedove's inbox.

I've to wait until the end of the month, that's good because I've got a
cold and I'm unconcentrated while looking for cards.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:19 PM
Dave Phillips

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> I've seen some other 7 and 8 cards that might be interesting, by all
> means, I think I will by a passive PCIe one from the 7 or 8 series.
> There are some under 50.00 EUR.
>
> Has anybody one of this cards? I guess someone wrote about 7 series
> cards, I will search Icedove's inbox.
Hi Ralf,

I've been using nVidia-based cards for many years. My current systems
(JAD and 64 Studio) both use fanless nVidia 7600GS cards with 512 MB
VRAM. I need 3D acceleration for a few programs, and I'm very happy with
these cards.

Best,

dp

Old 06-24-2008, 08:15 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Dave Phillips wrote:
> Ralf Mardorf wrote:

>> I've seen some other 7 and 8 cards that might be interesting, by all
>> means, I think I will by a passive PCIe one from the 7 or 8 series.
>> There are some under 50.00 EUR.
>>
>> Has anybody one of this cards? I guess someone wrote about 7 series
>> cards, I will search Icedove's inbox.
>>
> Hi Ralf,
>
> I've been using nVidia-based cards for many years. My current systems
> (JAD and 64 Studio) both use fanless nVidia 7600GS cards with 512 MB
> VRAM. I need 3D acceleration for a few programs, and I'm very happy with
> these cards.
>
> Best,
>
> dp

Thank you Dave

NVidia's Homepage says only those will be supported, resp. some versions
of those cards, that's why in this list some are two times (I did'nt
copied the numbers):

GeForce 7300 GS
GeForce 7300 GT
GeForce 7300 LE
GeForce 7300 SE
GeForce Go 7300
GeForce Go 7400
GeForce 7600 GS / GeForce 7600 GS
GeForce 7600 GT
GeForce Go 7600
GeForce 7800 GS / GeForce 7800 GS
GeForce 7800 GT
GeForce 7800 GTX / GeForce 7800 GTX
GeForce 7800 GTX 512
GeForce Go 7800
GeForce Go 7800 GTX
GeForce 7900 GS
GeForce 7900 GT
GeForce 7900 GTX
GeForce 8400
GeForce 8400 GS

The 7600 GS cards I've found are to expensive for me, from the passive
cards up to 50.00 EUR I've found, the following seems to be the most
high-performance ones:

GeForce 7300 GS
GeForce 8400 GS

There's also one, that's not in the NVidia list, but it's advertised
with OpenGL 2.0:

NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT

Maybe 3D is fine, but high definition TV not, or something like this.

I should take a look at the different passive PCIe GeForce 7300 GS and
GeForce 8400 GS once to be on the safe side.
Maybe GeForce 8400 GS is newer and better than the GeForce 7600 GS.
After all the specifications are relative and not absolute relating to
the performance, if they are not extreme different.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 06-24-2008, 02:34 PM
Michael Jarosch

Ralf Mardorf schrieb:
> Which NVidia card might be the best for use with 64 Studio ex 2.1 and
> Linux in general?
Well, it might be OT, because you asked for a nVidia, but I would
consider buying AMD/Ati Hardware. Soon there will be some good
OpenSource-Drivers for this cards - you will always get trouble when
using nVidia with f.e. Debian Testing (and therefore 64studio testing).

Mitsch

Old 06-24-2008, 03:08 PM
Gustin Johnson

Old 06-24-2008, 03:14 PM
Dave Phillips

Gustin Johnson wrote:
> ... In my 10 or so years
> using Linux on the Desktop, ATI has been nothing but a pain. "Soon" is
> not good enough for me, especially since Intel has working drivers right
> now. nVidia is a distant second but for me has been far more reliable
> than ATI.
Do the Intel drivers support OpenGL/hardware accelerated 3D ?

Best,

dp

Old 06-24-2008, 05:12 PM
Gustin Johnson